Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

A place on the 9-man bench against West Ham? I hated how we didn't fill all the places in the last round. Surely an academy hat-trick deserves a reward?

Or maybe the pressure might be too much at this stage in his development?!

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Or maybe the pressure might be too much at this stage in his development?!

Seriously? When you're in an academy, not only do you need to be a very talented football, you have to really, really want it. I've known kids (incl but not limited to family members) who were more talented but didn't want it enough and fell by the wayside. I don't know anyone who did make it who would have shired from being on the first team bench at the earliest opportunity. It's what you're dreaming of. 

Yes they do need a different mentality and yes a place on the bench or even just travelling is a massive bonus for them.

In my opinion it’s more about the added pressure once people become aware of them through things like a bench place.

There are plenty who are the next big thing who fall away, being on the bench at 16 doesn’t mean they will make it, playing schoolboy international doesn’t mean they will make it. 

The one thing Warne has been able to do is send young players back down into the youth age groups to develop out of the sight of many and the expectation that develops among the fan base.

The ones I’ve mentioned before are IMO the ones who are performing well and developing into what they need to be but does it mean they need the added glare of the spotlight?

For me let them develop and learn before we all start talking about them as future internationals and premier league stars. Let them make their mistakes and have dips in form away from expectation and then they will be ready for the first team. 

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So, is this lad likely to sit on the bench or even play for the 1st team? How old is he?

17 first year scholar. Bright future and been doing well at u18 but was never going to play. Realistically other clubs interested and naming as a sub raises his value. 

59 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

17 first year scholar. Bright future and been doing well at u18 but was never going to play. Realistically other clubs interested and naming as a sub raises his value. 

Why would we sell him? I saw his goals for the U21s(?) on RamsTV a while back, looks like he could be a handful.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why would we sell him? I saw his goals for the U21s(?) on RamsTV a while back, looks like he could be a handful.

Don't believe a scholar is a processional contract is it? So he could be nabbed for compensation without our choice in it like others before him.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

For the right price everyone is for sale and honestly for the youngsters a “big” club makes an offer that gets accepted they will leave….

24 minutes ago, Srg said:

Don't believe a scholar is a processional contract is it? So he could be nabbed for compensation without our choice in it like others before him.

Even as a scholar the selling club can set an asking price which can be elevated and justified by u21s / first team appearances. If the clubs don’t agree then it’s settled by tribunal which again takes into account these things. The Gordon sale used these conditions to increase his value as he never signed his pro deal 

19 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

For the right price everyone is for sale and honestly for the youngsters a “big” club makes an offer that gets accepted they will leave….

Yes I know everyone is for sale at the right price. But I guess the point SRG was making is we're trying to protect our interests. Plus why not sit him on the bench he's one of a few strikers at the Club and is showing promise.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes I know everyone is for sale at the right price. But I guess the point SRG was making is we're trying to protect our interests. Plus why not sit him on the bench he's one of a few strikers at the Club and is showing promise.

Sit him on bench and protect interests of course but the leap from schoolboy to u18s is big, u18s to u21s bigger and u21s to first team bigger still… that process has to be managed to protect the player and stop the hype overtaking and potential and ability.

reward them with things like this but as fans we have to manage our expectations both good and bad for these young players

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

If we decided we needed them, are we allowed to play either of the two new Arsenal lads in the first team later in the season, or do the EFL rules/restrictions mean we're not allowed to do that?

My understanding is yes. They are “underage” players so don’t need immediate registration. I imagine this is a sort of trial with a view to permanent deals at the end of the season.

At wirst it will help the u21s be more competitive and take some pressure of the youngsters in that group…