The Ukraine War

Day

Bad day for the Russian Air Force. They’ve admitted to losing two helicopters and two MiG bombers in “friendly fire incidents”.

Could it really be freindly fire?

Storm shadows/associated panic?

Shot down by Ukraine?

Its anyones guess at the moment.

If the Ukrainian Air Force are responsible for knocking out a Su-34 and Su-35 with their dated (whilst upgraded) fleet of Mig 29's and Su-27's in such fashion I'd be pretty worried if I was the RuAF. 

Friendly fire I'd imagine but not beyond impossible for an AMRAAM launch from near the border. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

If the Ukrainian Air Force are responsible for knocking out a Su-34 and Su-35 with their dated (whilst upgraded) fleet of Mig 29's and Su-27's in such fashion I'd be pretty worried if I was the RuAF. 

Friendly fire I'd imagine but not beyond impossible for an AMRAAM launch from near the border. 

Yep seems like friendly fire is a definite possibility.

A lot of what I’m reading says, after the Luhansk hit with Storm shadows, Russia seemed to fill their pants and ordered air defence to shoot down any threats. So they started shooting at anything that moved, including their own.

As an aside to this, there is definitely something fairly big happening in Bakhmut.

It’s not the start of the main counter offensive. Probably more an opportunity to clear the city that’s to good to miss, with lots of Russian soldiers and Wagnerites in a small area. There could have been a Russian command post wiped out in Klishchiiva. Which, if done by ground forces, puts Ukraine in a very good position to retake Bakhmut and the surrounding areas.

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The insane ramblings of a demented Victorian.

Many many years ago before Rees-Mogg became...erm...familiar with the general public he was in a documentary...something akin to living with Jacob Rees-Mogg.

His home was huge, But as you say eddie...kitted out in Victoriana 😁, There was a sort of rugby pitch where the uprights were falling down at an angle, I was sort of liking the guy...he's way way out of my social comfort zone but enough to keep me glued to the screen, I quite like him on the entertainment front...we need people like him to show what life was like some 150 years ago 😉

22 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Noticed one to the Ukrainian generals today said it was friendly fire and they haven’t counted them in their daily Russian losses totals.

Uh oh!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/05/14/prigozhin-wagner-ukraine-leaked-documents/

Claims Prigozhin contacted Ukrainian intelligence service and offered up the locations and details of Russian army in return for Ukraine to back off Wagner in Bakhmut, as the Ukrainians we’re absolutely annihilating Wagner.

Understandably Ukraine rejected the offer as they didn’t trust him.

Now this is out there, amongst his recent criticisms of the Russian authorities.

What does Putin do?

Edited by Ramarena

11 hours ago, Ramarena said:

What does Putin do?

Putin tells Prigozhin that his Mother is sick and he needs to go to the hospital, When Prigozhin gets to the reception he's given the room number, It's on the 15th floor, He gets the lift to the 15th floor and finds the room where his Mother is, Prigozhin walks in and slips on a discarded banana skin and falls out out the open window.

26 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Putin tells Prigozhin that his Mother is sick and he needs to go to the hospital, When Prigozhin gets to the reception he's given the room number, It's on the 15th floor, He gets the lift to the 15th floor and finds the room where his Mother is, Prigozhin walks in and slips on a discarded banana skin and falls out out the open window.

With his mother clinging to him 😉

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

With his mother clinging to him 😉

And 4 bullets in the back of his head.

4 minutes ago, ramit said:

Prigozhin trolls nonstop, you can't believe a word the fellow says.

"All warfare is based on deception" - Sun Tzu

Of course.

But how does it play in the Kremlin and army is the important part.

Russia has launched an invasion with an increasingly untrustworthy Wagner group. 

Not good for morale on the front line if you know your supposed compatriots could potentially rat you out!

Edited by Ramarena

32 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Of course.

But how does it play in the Kremlin and army is the important part.

Russia has launched an invasion with an increasingly untrustworthy Wagner group. 

Not good for morale on the front line if you know your supposed compatriots could potentially rat you out!

From a reported 50k mercenaries in the Wagner group and a reported 30k killed why/where would they get replacement mercenaries from, Abroad ie Syria, Iran?, and any other loose cannon countries, Surely only the simpleminded, Prisoners and those that have been promised as much vodka as they can drink would be stupid enough for death 😬

Reports now saying the Russian soldier is poorly trained and has crap equipment and on the back foot and deserting in their droves 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, The Last Post said:

From a reported 50k mercenaries in the Wagner group and a reported 30k killed why/where would they get replacement mercenaries from, Abroad ie Syria, Iran?, and any other loose cannon countries, Surely only the simpleminded, Prisoners and those that have been promised as much vodka as they can drink would be stupid enough for death 😬

Reports now saying the Russian soldier is poorly trained and has crap equipment and on the back foot and deserting in their droves 🤷‍♀️

Not sure, there doesn't seem many way's out for them now. 

- Go down fighting Ukraine

- Surrender to Ukraine

- Go after the Russian army

No good options. And they are hemmed in on all sides and relying on the Russian army for ammo. Unless Prigozhin has an ace up his sleeve that could give him leverage somewhere, it looks like they could get their comeuppance!

Edited by Ramarena

12 hours ago, The Last Post said:

I'm not surprised. There is loads of footage on the internet and the emergence of drones seems to have changed the face of warfare to an extent. If there's an armed drone buzzing around not even a trench seems to offer troops any cover.

13 hours ago, The Last Post said:

I’m glad you picked the sky version and didn’t post the extended version of this video, as it’s pretty horrific.

The other one starts with this guys colleague being wounded and deciding to commit suicide, the drone then moves to this guy to try to get him to surrender.

A bit of context to that video, which shows how his thought process must be absolutely struggling in that situation. He also gets fired upon by his own Army as they notice he’s surrendering.

I find it hard to have sympathy with Russians who have invaded and committed genocide in Ukraine willingly. But sometimes videos like this pop up to remind you that not everything is as black and white as that.