The Ukraine War

Day

8 hours ago, Highgate said:

The spin is that the Ukrainians are using civilians as human shields for their artillery. There won't be any military action that the Russians won't be able to spin via their media to the domestic audience at least.

The whole invasion is a war crime according to the Nuremberg Principles which state that;

To initiate a war of aggression, therefore, is not only an international crime; it is the supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole.

Not that Putin will worry about this or ever be put on trial for his actions.

Russia gains nothing by not allowing civilians to leave stricken areas through corridors, Ukrainians clearly do however, they can then blame Russia for deliberately targeting civilians through their western media mouthpieces and folks who only receive their news from those sites are gullible enough to believe that.

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't know if the whole war is a crime but Blair and Bush didn't seem to suffer and their reasons for war lacked any sufficient evidence

True.....and they were never in danger of being brought to justice either.  Just like Putin won't be.

16 minutes ago, ramit said:

Russia gains nothing by not allowing civilians to leave stricken areas through corridors, Ukrainians clearly do however, they can then blame Russia for deliberately targeting civilians through their western media mouthpieces and folks who only receive their news from those sites are gullible enough to believe that.

I'm not really referring to the agreement that has been allegedly been reached to allow civilians leave via corridors.  I have no idea really whether this agreement has been honoured or not. 

But apart from that it seems clear that plenty of civilian buildings have been flattened by the Russians already throughout the course of this invasion.  I don't think anybody can realistically blame the Ukrainians for that.

Edited by Highgate

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

I'm not really referring to the agreement that has been allegedly been reached to allow civilians via corridors.  I have no idea really whether this agreement has been honoured or not. 

But apart from that it seems clear that plenty of civilian areas and buildings have been flattened by the Russians already throughout the course of this invasion.  I don't think anybody can realistically blame the Ukrainians for that.

The Ukrainians use what cover they can find, apartment buildings for example.  This is a war, but from the start Russia has had the policy of going soft, instead of all out, because apart from any humanitarian concerns they may have it is very bad pr to kill droves of civilians and this policy has cost them dearly in manpower and equipment. 

All men aged 18-60 are required to join the Ukrainian military by push of bayonet, the rest are stuck where they are.  These poor people stuck between two combatants are in a desperate situation.

18 minutes ago, Highgate said:

True.....and they were never in danger of being brought to justice either.  Just like Putin won't be.

Yep. I'm not sure to be honest what happens when you become a war criminal. I think it's just like a blue tick on twitter. It's just a tag. 

Kadyrov is also a war criminal. 

13 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Well, it depends which side wins when the war crimes are being brought to court. I still cling on to hope that Blair will face prosecution one day. Hopefully Putin will be too. 

"Sir" Tony Blair, thank you very much.

7 minutes ago, ramit said:

The Ukrainians use what cover they can find, apartment buildings for example.  This is a war, but from the start Russia has had the policy of going soft, instead of all out, because apart from any humanitarian concerns they may have it is very bad pr to kill droves of civilians and this policy has cost them dearly in manpower and equipment. 

All men aged 18-60 are required to join the Ukrainian military by push of bayonet, the rest are stuck where they are.  These poor people stuck between two combatants are in a desperate situation.

According to Putin it's 'A special military operation of liberation'.  Yeah sadly it's almost inevitable that civilians will be killed at this stage.  And you are right it is heartbreaking to see the Ukrainians stuck in this situation.  But I'd lay the vast majority of the blame for this war squarely at Putin's door.

15 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Well, it depends which side wins when the war crimes are being brought to court. I still cling on to hope that Blair will face prosecution one day. Hopefully Putin will be too. 

You are a touch more optimistic than me then...  Let's hope you are right.

7 hours ago, Highgate said:

According to Putin it's 'A special military operation of liberation'.  Yeah sadly it's almost inevitable that civilians will be killed at this stage.  And you are right it is heartbreaking to see the Ukrainians stuck in this situation.  But I'd lay the vast majority of the blame for this war squarely at Putin's door.

It looks to me as Russia was pushed into this conflict.  The Minsk agreement, ratified by the UN Security Council never came into effect, Ukraine signed up for it but refused to follow it.  NATO has moved nearer to Russia through the years, Russia feels encroached, the conflict continued in the eastern regions, 14000 people having been killed there in the last 8 years.  This is a not a new conflict at all, it is an escalation, for Russia sees no other option.  i think the aim is to destroy Russia economically, but because of China, that may fail to work out as planned.

24 minutes ago, ramit said:

It looks to me as Russia was pushed into this conflict.  The Minsk agreement, ratified by the UN Security Council never came into effect, Ukraine signed up for it but refused to follow it.  NATO has moved nearer to Russia through the years, Russia feels encroached, the conflict continued in the eastern regions, 14000 people having been killed there in the last 8 years.  This is a not a new conflict at all, it is an escalation, for Russia sees no other option.  i think the aim is to destroy Russia economically, but because of China, that may fail to work out as planned.

It's not Russia though is it.  It's Putin, he decides., there is no other Russian opinion on this that matters. ....He didn't have to try to persuade a parliament of the war's legitimacy, he just decided the time was right for a full scale invasion.

If he does think there was no other option, then he is wrong...there were other options. 

But I agree, NATO has made this more likely by it's actions over the last couple of decades, that's true. But that's a long long way from saying that Russia was pushed into this war.  It's Putin's war. 

Edited by Highgate

I don't think Putin was pushed into the conflict. And that's even considering what he is, where he comes from, Russian paranoia, the way Russia values individual lives, their patriotic attitude etc etc. 

It's very different mentality in Russia of course. It's a fantastic and bizarre nation. 

The conflict was an opportunity more than anything. There were so many reasons to invade here and now. To wait may be too late and Ukraine could become The West. 

But there appear to be even those in the Kremlin that thought diplomacy hadn't been exhausted. 

Had different leaders been in charge in the West and/or Brexit and Covid hadn't have happened then I don't think this war happens. The most he would perhaps have done is try to free Donbass republics with a "special military operation". 

The full scale invasion to the this extent is simply that he has an opportunity to win Ukraine and The West can only watch on

But I definitely think this was supposed to be done and dusted by now and a pro Russian government in charge along with surrender terms entirely in favour of Russia. 

They really need to sort out a central unit in Poland for all these cancer patients, mostly children with desperate parents, who have missed vital treatments.  At the minute there treatments being delayed further by having to sent on to different hospitals around Europe. This can't carry on .  Wouldn't piss on Putin if he was on fire, unless I'd drank a litre of petrol beforehand