Cars and clutches - advice needed

ColonelBlimp

Peeps, my Mk3 Focus (1.0 Ecoboost) is having difficulty changing gear at low speeds.

Clutch biting point is low

There's no slipping when it is in gear.

It's way more common on gears 1 and 2 but has started affecting the other gears occasionally as well.

New clutch you think? Or a part of one?  My local garage is booked up until 17th March so could do with alternatives as well.

Ta

I'm far from an expert, but from the sounds of the low clutch issue it could be that the pressure in the master cylinder is off (usually trapped air). You can bleed them and top up again yourself if you're handy and have a second pair of hands but bit of a bugger (as with most car troubles).

Edited by JoetheRam

3 hours ago, mozza said:

Sign up to 'Ford Owners Club' Forum, some very knowledgable guys on there, sorted my Focus out on more than one occasion. 

Yes, this is good advice - obviously treat with a little caution - but I saved a bunch on my old corollas with the advice from the Toyota forum.

Depends how hands on you are with your car as well but even if you're not it can help you spot when a garage is trying to take the piss (and authorised dealers are not excluded from the piss taking)

The other advice is find a trustworthy garage and stick with them.

11 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Peeps, my Mk3 Focus (1.0 Ecoboost) is having difficulty changing gear at low speeds.

Clutch biting point is low

There's no slipping when it is in gear.

It's way more common on gears 1 and 2 but has started affecting the other gears occasionally as well.

New clutch you think? Or a part of one?  My local garage is booked up until 17th March so could do with alternatives as well.

Ta

When you say your local garage I don't want to fall into the trap of assuming you live in Derby? If so can recommend a couple of garage in Nottingham which wouldn't be a million miles away if so.

22 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

When you say your local garage I don't want to fall into the trap of assuming you live in Derby? If so can recommend a couple of garage in Nottingham which wouldn't be a million miles away if so.

My local garage in Mickleover is booked til 17th, I work up by J28 M1 so am investigating that area as well.