Memorabilia

Keepyuppy

I came across and acquired this hallmarked gold & silver Derby County Player Medal in last few days from an Antique Emporium in Yorkshire. 
Providence confirms it was made in 1886 in Birmingham. Derby County only played 2 games in 1886 against Aston Unity and Birmingham St Georges in the FA Cup and these medals were presented to the Derby County players in recognition of the match. 
A very rare find indeed and I’m thrilled to have found it. 
I thought I’d share it as a point of interest. ??

020B9680-C0A4-4930-933D-18E6D75BA20F.jpeg

Edited by Keepyuppy

1 hour ago, Keepyuppy said:

I came across and acquired this hallmarked gold & silver Derby County Player Medal in last few days from an Antique Emporium in Yorkshire. 
Providence confirms it was made in 1886 in Birmingham. Derby County only played 2 games in 1886 against Aston Unity and Birmingham St Georges in the FA Cup and these medals were presented to the Derby County players in recognition of the match. 

@loweman2will have the other 10 of the set ?

Sounds interesting and not something I have seen before in research, would be interested to hear the story behind it, how do you know it is derby county, does it come with paperwork, as far as I know the club historian is unaware of it, could be a great find.

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Sounds interesting and not something I have seen before in research, would be interested to hear the story behind it, how do you know it is derby county, does it come with paperwork, as far as I know the club historian is unaware of it, could be a great find.

Doubt It Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

Is you saying his provenance is wack though?

It is hallmarked with the correct year, maker and gold/silver stamps. It has been heavily polished, but can make out the Club Initisks on it. Considering its 135 years old and a reasonable assumption that probably only eleven were commissioned for the game, it could probably be the only one thats survived. 

It is hallmarked with the correct year, maker and gold/silver stamps. It has been heavily polished, but can make out the Club Initisks on it. Considering its 135 years old and a reasonable assumption that probably only eleven were commissioned for the game, it could probably be the only one thats survived. 

What did the guy who sold it to you say, how has the connection between a game, the year and derby county been made, is it stamped somewhere or did it come with any paperwork ? 

9 hours ago, Keepyuppy said:

Death Cab For Cutie? 

6 hours ago, Keepyuppy said:

No worries - I’m happy with it. 
It will add to my collection of items handed down to me by my late Grandfather and the other items I’ve obtained myself. 

Margaret Thatcher’s handbag? Splinters from the Cross? Threads from the shroud? Elvis’s toe nail clippings? Jim Smith’s toupe? 

6 hours ago, Keepyuppy said:

No worries - I’m happy with it. 
It will add to my collection of items handed down to me by my late Grandfather and the other items I’ve obtained myself. 

Excellent! Is it stamped with fattorini bros on the back, they produced medals and were based in Birmingham, I have no interest in the medal other that from trying to identify it from a historical value to the club and be of help so please don’t be shy in coming forward with further detail, Dm me if you would prefer ! 

13 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Does it say, “This sign must not be removed”? ?

There lies the problem, it was the wall to which the sign was attached that was removed?

The rules do not cover that situation??

I was given the sign when the Baseball Ground was coming up for demolition 

Edited by Elwood P Dowd