Derby V Leicester Play off Final 1994

Reading the admin thread I remember both the elation and disappointment of that final so well, and an act of kindness of a group of fans that allowed me to see it.

It was a really weird, but I had been at Hatfield Poly for four years and not met this group of lads that were Derby fans until late in my final year, and I spent a few hours with them in “The Font” - the Poly bar, talking Rams stuff.   A few weeks later they offered me a spare ticket for the final for “whatever I could afford”.  I could not believe my luck!  I think I gave them a tenner, which was probably more than I could afford that Late in the term, but I really wanted to go but didn’t want to take the P!

I really can’t remember their names, but although we lost it was one of the best football days ever in some respects, I think because of the unexpectedness of being able to go.

Because I left a few months later I never saw them again.

To cut a long story short, If this story sound familiar and you were one of those lads, then let me know!

Andrew

I think your spot was near mine then, I remember a big post in the way too, and the players looking like ants.  A far cry from the pop side…

7 minutes ago, Andrew1 said:

Reading the admin thread I remember both the elation and disappointment of that final so well, and an act of kindness of a group of fans that allowed me to see it.

It was a really weird, but I had been at Hatfield Poly for four years and not met this group of lads that were Derby fans until late in my final year, and I spent a few hours with them in “The Font” - the Poly bar, talking Rams stuff.   A few weeks later they offered me a spare ticket for the final for “whatever I could afford”.  I could not believe my luck!  I think I gave them a tenner, which was probably more than I could afford that Late in the term, but I really wanted to go but didn’t want to take the P!

I really can’t remember their names, but although we lost it was one of the best football days ever in some respects, I think because of the unexpectedness of being able to go.

Because I left a few months later I never saw them again.

To cut a long story short, If this story sound familiar and you were one of those lads, then let me know!

Andrew

I went with my brother. He ended up with the Leicester fans having bought a ticket off a tout. The disappointment was a slow burner for me, took a few weeks to kick in. Nowhere near the same level of disappointment as after the QPR defeat. That hit us hard ?

Yes, that was awful.  My lad wasn’t that old and was so upset.

It was a long day.  My missus, daughter and mother in law were all in a Caravan ion Skegvegas and we were going to join them that evening.  So I had to drive all the way back up to Derby to drop my dad off then across to Skeggy.  All to spend the evening drinking awful lager and watching the worst Micheal Jackson impersonator in the world ????

Didn’t sleep that evening, it just kept on haunting me.  Or it could have been the terrible bed in the caravan! ?

I had an awful drive back too, with a 'lovely' time negotiating central London and back to SE Kent where I lived at the time.  Felt worse after the QPR defeat, just jumped on the first tube train and wandered aimlessly around London for ages in a daze.  Not great preparation for my first marathon the nest day!

1 hour ago, Wistaston Ram said:

I had an awful drive back too, with a 'lovely' time negotiating central London and back to SE Kent where I lived at the time.  Felt worse after the QPR defeat, just jumped on the first tube train and wandered aimlessly around London for ages in a daze.  Not great preparation for my first marathon the nest day!

I think you'll find they're called snickers nowadays 

1 hour ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Having been a fan for the best part of 60 years, I’ve learned to take most ups and downs in my stride…but that one absolutely floored me. Horrible day out?

My husband dos'nt go to the matches so went with my daughters and son in law. When i got home my husband just happened to say the wrong thing and i stormed off to bed.?. Thats the only time ive let a result get me in a bad mood, as you say a horrible day.

15 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

My husband dos'nt go to the matches so went with my daughters and son in law. When i got home my husband just happened to say the wrong thing and i stormed off to bed.?. Thats the only time ive let a result get me in a bad mood, as you say a horrible day.

Unfortunately as a Derby fan, I've stormed to bed on many occasions, many times looking like I've been dragged through a storm, or I've found the house inside to be in a storm as I've crashed about, wobbling from side to side getting up them stormy stairs.....................hick!

17 minutes ago, Kathcairns said:

Don't leave us hanging.... What did your husband say? 

Was it related to the football?