Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

Get rid of Arthur. There isn’t any plus points to him - big names don’t guarantee success.

This T20 format has been utterly bizarre. It was our one hope for the season and the teams and tactics have been hopeless.

Even by fluke we had a chance tonight, and completely messed it up.

Very subdued atmosphere in the crowd last night. Beautiful weather, good crowd, the place should have been rocking. 

But it's a tired format promoted with little enthusiasm by the same people. Change is needed at more levels than on the pitch, imo. 

13 minutes ago, angieram said:

Very subdued atmosphere in the crowd last night. Beautiful weather, good crowd, the place should have been rocking. 

But it's a tired format promoted with little enthusiasm by the same people. Change is needed at more levels than on the pitch, imo. 

What about a 16 over or so format where batsman wear funny-shaped helmets 😉

19 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What about a 16 over or so format where batsman wear funny-shaped helmets 😉

Well, we need to improve the cricket, that's for sure. But it's the way that the staff are just going through the motions that irritates me.

T20 is fine, but the club doesn't promote it properly - before or during games.

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

Well, we need to improve the cricket, that's for sure. But it's the way that the staff are just going through the motions that irritates me.

T20 is fine, but the club doesn't promote it properly - before or during games.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the format, we are just not very good at it. Weren’t a lot of home games sell outs or virtually sell outs. Thankfully it looks like the 100 is on its last legs despite all of the OTT promotion of it. Need to get back to the 3 competitons.

Its not the T20 format thats the problem but they need to change the groups up a bit, the North/South split means the same teams are just playing the same teams each and every season.

The competition is far too long compared to most other T20 comps around the world (other than IPL) - reduce supply to increase demand.

Change it up to 3 groups of 6, pair traditional rivals together in the same group and draw all the other teams in the group at random.

Reduce the games from 14 to 10.

Randomly draw to allocate 1 of the 3 groups as the designated "golden group" where the top 3 qualify for the quarter finals and the other groups it's top 2.

Edited by Carnero

37 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Randomly draw to allocate 1 of the 3 groups as the designated "golden group" where the top 3 qualify for the quarter finals and the other groups it's top 2.

I need to change this to one group being the the "group of death" where only the top 2 qualify 😂🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, angieram said:

I agree about the draw. It seems odd that we play the same teams every year and why we only get to play Worcs once, but have to play Lancs twice every season! 

I’ve often bemoaned that we only play Worcestershire and Durham only once, but get Lancashire and Birmingham twice. I’ve asked why that is the case and why it never changes but no-one seems to really know.

Any group format where you don’t play the same number of games against each team irritates me at the best of times, but this is putting us at a disadvantage from the start.

Travel is the reason I’ve always seen given for the regional groups, but you could work around that with a bit of thought. If Hampshire are playing Durham in the championship and T20, put the fixtures together etc…

As for Derbyshire, my big hope with the appointment of MA is the club would have some drive to move forward and better itself. Three years in and it just feels like the same old Derbyshire going through the motions 🙁

1 minute ago, jimbo jones said:

I’ve often bemoaned that we only play Worcestershire and Durham only once, but get Lancashire and Birmingham twice. I’ve asked why that is the case and why it never changes but no-one seems to really know.

Any group format where you don’t play the same number of games against each team irritates me at the best of times, but this is putting us at a disadvantage from the start.

Travel is the reason I’ve always seen given for the regional groups, but you could work around that with a bit of thought. If Hampshire are playing Durham in the championship and T20, put the fixtures together etc…

As for Derbyshire, my big hope with the appointment of MA is the club would have some drive to move forward and better itself. Three years in and it just feels like the same old Derbyshire going through the motions 🙁

I would say we are worse than 3 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would say we are worse than 3 years ago.

Hmm, I dunno, the season before Arthur came in we were dreadful and won 6 games across all formats. The one win in 4 day cricket coming against a very poor Sussex side.

we’ve matched that 6 wins already. Have we improved? Not really, which hasn’t been helped losing 3 of the best players from that season -  Critchley, Du Plooy, Hudson-Prentice - one thing that definitely has happened is the 2 teams definitely worse than us then, Sussex and Leicestershire are now much better than us.

11 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Hmm, I dunno, the season before Arthur came in we were dreadful and won 6 games across all formats. The one win in 4 day cricket coming against a very poor Sussex side.

we’ve matched that 6 wins already. Have we improved? Not really, which hasn’t been helped losing 3 of the best players from that season -  Critchley, Du Plooy, Hudson-Prentice - one thing that definitely has happened is the 2 teams definitely worse than us then, Sussex and Leicestershire are now much better than us.

The Masood runs camouflaged our deficiencies in his first season. We have come nowhere close to winning a county championship game this season.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The Masood runs camouflaged our deficiencies in his first season. We have come nowhere close to winning a county championship game this season.

Indeed, and we didn’t in 2021 either, apart from against a truly dreadful Sussex team that didn’t win a game. The 2022 season was certainly a false dawn. There were a couple of games last season we “could” have won but we’ve reverted right back to where we were before this season, getting bowled out for under 200 consistently and generally looking useless 🙁

It will be interesting to see what happens at the end of the season. For me, Arthur should go, but what are the financial implications of that? I don’t image it will come cheap.

Been talking with a mate of mine about what we want from the One Day cup (and the rest of the championship season). Do we really think we can win it? I don’t think so. It’s the perfect opportunity to give a young core that could be the future of the club a proper go. 

Madsen, Patel, Whiteley are at the point their careers are winding down. By 2026 the team needs to and will look very different. Start that process now, much like Sussex did bringing in a core of young players and sticking with them.

my one day cup team, with Madsen and Donald away at the 100 & no mention of Amir sticking around for this.

Came

Wagstaff

Lloyd

Bin Naeem

Lamb

Patel

Chappell

Moore

Brown

Potts