Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

What a game of cricket, watched the last hour on-line. Thought with 5-6 overs to go that we were doomed. The wicket maiden from Sidebottom changed the game. I think we have a pretty settled side now other than the fact Billy needs some runs at the top of the order. Otherwise Came and Louis will be pushing for a place. Who can say County cricket is boring.......

Edited by Jimbo Ram
spelling

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What a game of cricket, watched the last hour on-line. Thought with 5-6 overs to go that we were doomed. The wicket maiden from Sidebottom changed the game. I think we have a pretty settled side now other than the fact Billy needs some runs at the top of the order. Otherwise Came and Louis will be pushing for a place. Who can say County cricket is boring.......

Sidebottom’s bowling in that second innings was a big plus, fingers crossed he can stay fit. Definitely could do with Billy getting a decent score in the next game.

The week off should be spent practicing slip catches ? The only area that’s been disappointing so far..

Early doors still I know, but I took a look at the batting averages and compared them to last season, where Critchley was like the lone hope averaging over 40, I remember it being a lot higher early on but dropped toward the end of the season. Other than him, Hosein averaged over 40 but of course had the concussion issue that saw him only play in 8 games and eventually retire. Madsen averaged over 30 but also missed a large chunk of the season through injury. The rest was pretty miserable reading. 

So far this season...

Masood - 118.83
Madsen - 99.60
Guest - 54.50
McKiernan - 51.00
Du Plooy - 50.00
Dal - 46.33
Thomson - 39.33

Godleman - 19.66
Reece - 9.66

They are likely to slide downwards the more games that are played, especially the higher ones. The pitches have also been good for batting, but it didn’t matter what we batted in last season, we couldn’t score runs. That’s quite the turn around.

On 03/05/2022 at 11:07, jimbo jones said:

Early doors still I know, but I took a look at the batting averages and compared them to last season, where Critchley was like the lone hope averaging over 40, I remember it being a lot higher early on but dropped toward the end of the season. Other than him, Hosein averaged over 40 but of course had the concussion issue that saw him only play in 8 games and eventually retire. Madsen averaged over 30 but also missed a large chunk of the season through injury. The rest was pretty miserable reading. 

So far this season...

Masood - 118.83
Madsen - 99.60
Guest - 54.50
McKiernan - 51.00
Du Plooy - 50.00
Dal - 46.33
Thomson - 39.33

Godleman - 19.66
Reece - 9.66

They are likely to slide downwards the more games that are played, especially the higher ones. The pitches have also been good for batting, but it didn’t matter what we batted in last season, we couldn’t score runs. That’s quite the turn around.

A quick glance through my new Wisden shows that in the County Championship, in 2021 we scored a total of 5 centuries, 3 of them in one match. Only 1 was scored in an away match.

So far, in 2022, we have 2 double centuries and 5 centuries, and May has hardly started. Okay, so the wickets have been benign, but what a turn round.

Incidentally, anyone who collects, or is interested in buying, Wisdens (highly collectable), and the £57 price tag puts you off, you can buy them direct from the publishers, Bloomsbury Publishing, for £38, post paid. Hardback, brand new and shrink wrapped. I also notice that they're reproducing back issues for the almost-impossible-to-buy-without-a-mortgage years.

No. I don't work for them.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Still baffled by the 100. The 120 balls of T20 being just too long winded for the goldfish attention span of today's "yooth"

Apparently it's to increase 'interest in cricket amongst women & children'. I really don't see any logic in it.

Do they bowl 20 x 5-ball overs? I really can't be arsed to check the rules.

27 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Apparently it's to increase 'interest in cricket amongst women & children'. I really don't see any logic in it.

I never really thought about this aspect, but it's pretty patronising. Imagine if the same happened in football and the FA claimed they needed to shorten the games to 30 minutes because there's no way women could be expected to pay attention for an hour and a half.

40 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Do they bowl 20 x 5-ball overs? I really can't be arsed to check the rules.

My brother, sister in law, nephew and mum went to watch Trent Rockets last year. Drawn in hook, line and sinker...couldn’t get them down the county ground to watch proper cricket though. Though last season it was a tough sell ? I’m working on them to come and see the great Shan Masood in action. 

ive managed to get my mum watching the livestreams which is a start ?

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I never really thought about this aspect, but it's pretty patronising. Imagine if the same happened in football and the FA claimed they needed to shorten the games to 30 minutes because there's no way women could be expected to pay attention for an hour and a half.

My wife is able to keep focused for a good couple of hours on my shortcomings and failures.... ?

Sidebottom here for May, which means the next 2 championship games and the start of the T20.

Would be good if we could make it for the whole season, but Warwickshire will probably want him back for when players disappear for that hundred rubbish.

D28FCAD5-84E2-40A2-9C3D-AC5EBDF4E74D.jpeg

On 06/05/2022 at 10:42, jimbo jones said:

Sidebottom here for May, which means the next 2 championship games and the start of the T20.

Would be good if we could make it for the whole season, but Warwickshire will probably want him back for when players disappear for that hundred rubbish.

D28FCAD5-84E2-40A2-9C3D-AC5EBDF4E74D.jpeg

Has he said he wants to stay yet? ?

5 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

No brainer really. How's Lakmal doing? Saw him bowl a few overs a game or two back and he looked pretty tidy to me.

It's fair to say the pitches so far this season have favoured the batsmen, but he has bowled well. You can see his class when he bowls. Always keeps it tight and finally got the wickets he deserved in the last game.