The Great Escape - FM22

ramsbottom

I wasn't going to bother purchasing the latest version of Football Manager but the lure of guiding The Rams away from relegation, and the chance to distract from our real life cluster-funk of a season was too much to resist.  So I've downloaded the beta version and got cracking.  

Formation - 

As our best wingers are our full backs I want to play 3 at the back and push Byrne & Buchannan far up the pitch.  Dispensing with the wingers lets me play 2 strikers as well.  One of the big updates with positions this year is the wide centre back, designed to mimic Sheffield Utd's overlapping centre halves.  Thought I'd try them out and see if they're any good and even though they're not pulling up any trees assist wise they do help pull opposition teams out of position and create overloads to exploit.  As Forsyth can play fullback and in the middle he's perfect for the role, as would Wisdom have been if we hadn't let him go.

648290473_DCFCformation.PNG.4db963c3916dc6b20359b84c19876b70.PNG

A tip for anyone starting a new game, make sure all over your youngsters are set as unavailable for loans because as soon as any offer comes in the administrators will ship them out whether you want them to or not.  I lost Ebosele and a couple of others I could've used.  You're also unable to sign anyone of frees so you have to make do with who you've got.

Results - 

So far, pretty good all in all.  Like their real life counterparts inconsistency is an issue, as is holding onto leads, even if I go ultra defensive.  In this year's update players who aren't rotated do tire quickly in games, including centre halves.  The result against Boro was a particular low light as I imagined that smug rick Gibson giving it the smug face in the stands.  I'm sure the limbs at Coventry were immense though...

1690874857_DCFCresults.thumb.PNG.2cd7a46ff1567cf8e66190ed550910fc.PNG

League - 

The target of being on positive points by the end of October has been achieved and fortunately a few other teams have been pretty terrible so we've managed to close the gap and haul ourselves out the relegation zone.  Onwards & upwards from here ei-ei-eio!!!

1921187623_DCFCleague.PNG.fbab5f2f99e60c26a01775eb481aef6c.PNG

13 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I wasn't going to bother purchasing the latest version of Football Manager but the lure of guiding The Rams away from relegation, and the chance to distract from our real life cluster-funk of a season was too much to resist.  So I've downloaded the beta version and got cracking.  

Likewise... I always play Derby so rather than play it on easy mode - which it has been for the past few seasons the chance to play it now on hard mode is much more appealing!

Has it changed much from last season?  I haven't paid much attention to it yet tbh, I've been getting stuck into New World for the past few weeks.

Good luck with your season ?

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

Likewise... I always play Derby so rather than play it on easy mode - which it has been for the past few seasons the chance to play it now on hard mode is much more appealing!

Has it changed much from last season?  I haven't paid much attention to it yet tbh, I've been getting stuck into New World for the past few weeks.

Good luck with your season ?

The match engine is a lot better, much more realistic.  Pressing is a lot more obvious and actually results in getting the ball back instead of your players getting close to the opposition before they pass round you.  Deflections are a lot more plausible as well.  The animation is more detailed as well, Lawrence loves an unnecessary Cryuff turn...

• 2 weeks later...

Some really poor form during the last third of the season saw us dragged back into trouble 

70461939_results3.thumb.PNG.4de69e61f9cb5b6d1321263a2d70246b.PNG

But fortunately the 7 points from the last 3 games saw us steer clear of relegation!!!

235489601_table3.thumb.PNG.410d192dfddc4f3de434c853c0a13930.PNG

1351219632_stats3.PNG.a86b2d319134186dddb56fe36919ca3c.PNG

I know it's stretching the realms of believability that Baldock would get 20 goals in a season but if he'd taken half the good chances he had he'd have scored 40...

I ended up finishing 12th in season one, on 57 points. Without the deduction I would've been 8th. With the extra 9 points deducted I'd have been 17th.

It was a pretty high scoring season, Fulham finished on 102 points and didn't even go up... Taken over in late November, only brought in Timm Klose and Carlos Tevez to cover long-term injuries to Curtis Davies and CKR. Sammy Baldock got the golden boot with 30 goals.

21 games played in the second season, and we're sitting pretty in 5th. Rooney is currently managing Bristol City in League One.

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I ended up finishing 12th in season one, on 57 points. Without the deduction I would've been 8th. With the extra 9 points deducted I'd have been 17th.

It was a pretty high scoring season, Fulham finished on 102 points and didn't even go up... Taken over in late November, only brought in Timm Klose and Carlos Tevez to cover long-term injuries to Curtis Davies and CKR. Sammy Baldock got the golden boot with 30 goals.

21 games played in the second season, and we're sitting pretty in 5th. Rooney is currently managing Bristol City in League One.

deduction... Did you put yourself in administration,dodgy amortisation, both?

• 3 months later...

The latest update looks to have made things tougher being Derby. No Jags or Baldock & half the team injured. I lost 2 players straight away sold for peanuts without my say so. Imagine my shock. Just started loan payments of £350,000 a month & 4 games in and I've already been fined in 2 of them for too many yellow cards. 

On 16/03/2022 at 09:35, Mr. P said:

The latest update looks to have made things tougher being Derby. No Jags or Baldock & half the team injured. I lost 2 players straight away sold for peanuts without my say so. Imagine my shock. Just started loan payments of £350,000 a month & 4 games in and I've already been fined in 2 of them for too many yellow cards. 

Eek, good luck with that - let us know how you get on.

I bought FM22 over Christmas but have been to busy with other games to give it a go yet.  I'm actually looking forwards to starting on -21pts and having next to no squad - it is normally very easy to get promoted as Derby. 

Next seasons version could be an interesting challenge as well with the potential of -15pts, no squad and no money.  If only it was just a game...