Not sure

10 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

What can go wrong?

Tonado would rip them off I guess

Any idea on the life span of them?

Not a clue

I was thinking of getting a battery with them too.

I've got lots of batteries, draw full of AAA's

1. Yes. I have. 

2. no running costs for the solar panels, but see 4. 

3. not a lot as far as I can tell. Just don’t rent your roof out. Buy the solar panels and own them lock stock and barrel.

4. the warranty for the solar panels is 25 years. So all the maths I did was based on 25 years. They cost about £15k including a battery, and then we spent about another £5k getting rid of all our gas heating and water, and replacing it with solar hot water and electric Infra red heating panels, and another battery. 

I needed the other battery cos that extra heating would put so much strain on my electric that it would cost a fortune. The batteries will charge overnight when the grid pays you to store excess electricity. 

The batteries are the most important bit. We get about £30-£40 every 3 months from the feed in tariff on the solar panels, and they’ll charge the batteries a bit during the summer and probably give us some electricity, but you could get away with just having batteries and charging them over night. When I get an electric car, I’m just going to get more batteries for the attic. 

But beware that batteries don’t last as long as the solar panels. They might last longer in the future. But the ones I’ve got will probably last another 5 years before needing replacing. 

but all this was considered in the maths. I know it’s a sales tool, but the salesman did have a very convincing tool that showed how, even with just normal inflation price rises in energy, based on normal consumption, how much my energy will cost me over 25 years, and it was comparable to the cost of the solar panels and batteries, even taking into account the interest on the finance (but I had a bit of a windfall soon after getting them and paid them off in full). He also gave models for how energy is projected to rise in price, a best and worst case scenario. 

I was happy to do it based on just breaking even, if it’s cost neutral and helps the environment, the happy days. But it looks increasingly like the worst case scenario for energy prices is coming to pass, which puts me in a very smug position. 

Only problem I’ve had is that the guy that installed my Infra red panels was also going to install the new batteries, but he’s dicked me around for about 8 months. Finally came to install it last week, got it int he attic, and then realised it had the wrong connections, so god knows how long it’ll take to get a different one now. Meanwhile, my solar panels and existing battery haven’t been enough to cope with all the electricity I’m now using, so now my electricity bills have been through the roof for 8 months. It’s very frustrating, so I can’t actually attest to the massive savings I should be making yet. But one day this battery will be installed, and it’ll all be worth it. Still, the battery I bought for £3k 8 months ago, is now worth about £8k apparently. So I’m tempted to just sack off the idea, sell it and use the profit to pay my electricity bill for the next few years  

5. definitely get a battery, but check it’s one that can you attach more to if you want to. 

22 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

1. Yes. I have. 

3. not a lot as far as I can tell. Just don’t rent your roof out. Buy the solar panels and own them lock stock and barrel.

4. the warranty for the solar panels is 25 years. So all the maths I did was based on 25 years. They cost about £15k including a battery, and then we spent about another £5k getting rid of all our gas heating and water, and replacing it with solar hot water and electric Infra red heating panels, and another battery. 

I needed the other battery cos that extra heating would put so much strain on my electric that it would cost a fortune. The batteries will charge overnight when the grid pays you to store excess electricity. 

The batteries are the most important bit. We get about £30-£40 every 3 months from the feed in tariff on the solar panels, and they’ll charge the batteries a bit during the summer and probably give us some electricity, but you could get away with just having batteries and charging them over night. When I get an electric car, I’m just going to get more batteries for the attic. 

But beware that batteries don’t last as long as the solar panels. They might last longer in the future. But the ones I’ve got will probably last another 5 years before needing replacing. 

but all this was considered in the maths. I know it’s a sales tool, but the salesman did have a very convincing tool that showed how, even with just normal inflation price rises in energy, based on normal consumption, how much my energy will cost me over 25 years, and it was comparable to the cost of the solar panels and batteries, even taking into account the interest on the finance (but I had a bit of a windfall soon after getting them and paid them off in full). He also gave models for how energy is projected to rise in price, a best and worst case scenario. 

I was happy to do it based on just breaking even, if it’s cost neutral and helps the environment, the happy days. But it looks increasingly like the worst case scenario for energy prices is coming to pass, which puts me in a very smug position. 

Only problem I’ve had is that the guy that installed my Infra red panels was also going to install the new batteries, but he’s dicked me around for about 8 months. Finally came to install it last week, got it int he attic, and then realised it had the wrong connections, so god knows how long it’ll take to get a different one now. Meanwhile, my solar panels and existing battery haven’t been enough to cope with all the electricity I’m now using, so now my electricity bills have been through the roof for 8 months. It’s very frustrating, so I can’t actually attest to the massive savings I should be making yet. But one day this battery will be installed, and it’ll all be worth it. Still, the battery I bought for £3k 8 months ago, is now worth about £8k apparently. So I’m tempted to just sack off the idea, sell it and use the profit to pay my electricity bill for the next few years  

5. definitely get a battery, but check it’s one that can you attach more to if you want to. 

Tree Hug GIF by Four Rest Films

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

With the rising cost of energy I am thinking of investing in some Solar Panels.

Has anyone got them?

What are the running costs?

What can go wrong?

Any idea on the life span of them?

I was thinking of getting a battery with them too.

Yeah 

cost $500 for a new controller box a few years ago, and 2 panels flamed out

Blackened panels were a eye opener

10 years and still going.

Might think about it when the costs come down a bit more.

We have solar hot water as well and might have to put it on to electric power a couple of weeks a year, but then I’m pretty sure we might have a bit more sunshine here.

10 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Just leave this here..Wanted to get in before @i-Ram

Ive got some peas to sell and a very convincing tool. When do you want the delivery?

That could definitely have been worded better. But it was genuinely enlightening if you do the maths and take into account the natural rate of inflation, let alone the inevitable hike in prices beyond inflation. 

12 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

1. Yes. I have. 

Thanks for the information. That’s very helpful.

12 hours ago, Boycie said:

You’ve missed the boat mate by about 10 years.

Watch someone who’s been suckered into some try and deny it.

I heard they were only around 25% efficient 10 years ago. Technology has come on and they are lot more efficient now days. I was just thinking with the cost of energy going up it might be more cost effective in the future, however, I took out a 30 month fixed rate with EDF last month before all these price rises came in. I have looked at the cheapest fixed rate now and it £50 a month more now. So I have a couple of years to think about it but the costs of the panels might go up too.

10 hours ago, Stagtime said:

Yeah 

cost $500 for a new controller box a few years ago, and 2 panels flamed out

Blackened panels were a eye opener

10 years and still going.

Might think about it when the costs come down a bit more.

We have solar hot water as well and might have to put it on to electric power a couple of weeks a year, but then I’m pretty sure we might have a bit more sunshine here.

I doubt you need heating if anything you need air conditioners and cold showers.

We have had solar panels for about 12 years. We own them and were originally paying off a no-interest loan, but paid in full after two years because we could - about £8,000.

We get an "allowance" of 50% of our electricity running costs as long as panels are generating so we do everything we can in daylight hours. Even if you're using 100% of your solar panel generation you get 50% top up which helps pay for your electricity use at other times.

We also get a payment back each quarter, which varies from about £60 in winter to £250 in summer. 

More noticeably our electricity bills plummeted immediately after installation and have remained lower than friends with similar sized properties ever since.

We are 1 degree off south facing, panels are on back so not obtrusive to others.

No maintenance costs yet and still look smart. Guaranteed for 25 years.

We own so will sell with house. 

Probably will just about make money back on purchase but that doesn't take into account the electricity saving over many years.

Also, now we are retired, every payment is a little bonus! 

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

We have had solar panels for about 12 years. We own them and were originally paying off a no-interest loan, but paid in full after two years because we could - about £8,000.

We get an "allowance" of 50% of our electricity running costs as long as panels are generating so we do everything we can in daylight hours. Even if you're using 100% of your solar panel generation you get 50% top up which helps pay for your electricity use at other times.

We also get a payment back each quarter, which varies from about £60 in winter to £250 in summer. 

More noticeably our electricity bills plummeted immediately after installation and have remained lower than friends with similar sized properties ever since.

We are 1 degree off south facing, panels are on back so not obtrusive to others.

No maintenance costs yet and still look smart. Guaranteed for 25 years.

We own so will sell with house. 

Probably will just about make money back on purchase but that doesn't take into account the electricity saving over many years.

Also, now we are retired, every payment is a little bonus! 

You got them when the tariff was good, so did my brother, I fitted them for him so I could gain my MCS registration so I could fit others.

Virtually as soon as the qualification came through, the tariff went from 41p/KWh to 21p. The market stalled as material costs hadn’t yet dropped to levels they are now.

Hopefully the Government will honour its 25 year promise on your feed in tariff and the fact is linked to inflation.  But I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them.

Yours, my brothers and the earlier initial tariff users are sitting on a good investment, and many will have paid off their investment probably already.

New systems now? Yeah if you want to do your bit for the environment, but I don’t think the investment side adds up at the moment.

3 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

That could definitely have been worded better. But it was genuinely enlightening if you do the maths and take into account the natural rate of inflation, let alone the inevitable hike in prices beyond inflation. 

You know how it goes on here. Any little slip on a keyboard and we pounce. It’s all in good humour mate. It’s what makes this a great board. 

We have friends moving to the area and they nearly purchased a house with lease solar panels on the roof. Absolute nightmare and the mortgage company were having none of it. 
It was a good post and very informative. Thanks. 

It's the future. Folk will resist it, but some form of renewable energy will ultimately have to supersede coal, oil and gas, there's no getting away from it. 

A couple of observations would be that 415 watt panels cost what 180 watt boards did just a few years back. Likewise, inverters and battery storage costs are plummeting as they become more ubiquitous. As some have pointed out, FITs (feed in tariffs) are a thing of the past, but I'd say if you look at TCO, we back in a place where solar makes sense, especially in countries where sunlight is abundant and in instances where the panels can be positioned for maximum efficiency. Bear in mind too that battery systems can also be set to draw and store electricity from the grid during off-peak hours for deployment during the higher cost hours; it's not all about the panels! 

A few words to the wise though... Do not scrimp! If you do go down the renewables route, buy the best panels you can (and the highest capacity) and don't scrimp on the other key components. And don't buy from an installer... Go straight to the distributors who will not dry-hump you on the hardware costs and will install more cheaply than third parties too.