Factory jobs

uttoxram75

9 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Just seen this thread. ?

Worked briefly at the site in the early 1990's on an engineering project that never reached its intended potential, (salesmen over promising and under delivering)!

Best of luck to everyone concerned.

Conundrum; I want to know where everyone who lives on a new estate (built on the site of an old factory) goes to work?

JCB

1 minute ago, Grumpy Git said:

All 500+ of soon to be ex Elkes workers?

I've been passed the biscuit factory 100s of times as I used to deliver garden machiners to a shop on the high street in Utch, Then mooch off to JCB and Crewe.

There's plenty on offer at JCB altho I do believe...Agency work, Hays on the A50, Alton Towers, Even some in the Potteries, It's a tough call on all that are there, Opportunity for Redundancy as long as they were TUPEd over and kept their longevity at work...I wish them all well ?

6 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I've been passed the biscuit factory 100s of times as I used to deliver garden machiners to a shop on the high street in Utch, Then mooch off to JCB and Crewe.

There's plenty on offer at JCB altho I do believe...Agency work, Hays on the A50, Alton Towers, Even some in the Potteries, It's a tough call on all that are there, Opportunity for Redundancy as long as they were TUPEd over and kept their longevity at work...I wish them all well ?

Some have already left, various JCB plants and Nestle at Tutbury mostly. 

We’re still hanging on in the consultation period long after the legal minimum of 45 days so there’s a bit of hope of a last minute buyer. Should know before Christmas either way. 

11 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Some have already left, various JCB plants and Nestle at Tutbury mostly. 

We’re still hanging on in the consultation period long after the legal minimum of 45 days so there’s a bit of hope of a last minute buyer. Should know before Christmas either way. 

Did you keep your service as you said you've had several different owners?, Were you TUPEd over?, I was a Senior Union Official for Unite at Rolls Royce and was involved with TUPE when one of our sites went to a Managing company...Ceva Logistics, All RR workers that stayed kept their contracts and wage circa £36k a year, While new starters were on £18k a year for Ceva...caused a shed load of grief, Site now moved to A1 industrial estate in Barton/Burton, All RR workers took redundancy.

I hear Nestle aint the same since they sold to the Ferrero Group

Best of luck Utch?

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Did you keep your service as you said you've had several different owners?, Were you TUPEd over?, I was a Senior Union Official for Unite at Rolls Royce and was involved with TUPE when one of our sites went to a Managing company...Ceva Logistics, All RR workers that stayed kept their contracts and wage circa £36k a year, While new starters were on £18k a year for Ceva...caused a shed load of grief, Site now moved to A1 industrial estate in Barton/Burton, All RR workers took redundancy.

I hear Nestle aint the same since they sold to the Ferrero Group

Best of luck Utch?

Yeah we've kept our service over the years although the current owners stopped some perks like service days. Us old un's kept what we'd got but no new accruals etc.

Ferrero have taken over the Fox Biscuits sites at Batley and Kirkham, I've heard some poor reports from contacts there, but tbf, its pretty bad now everywhere in the food industry. The race to the bottom is accelerating rapidly.

So is there a demise in the biscuits industry?  Aren’t people buying them like they used to?

I hope a new buyer can be found, and a smart marketing campaign can be done to highlight the great rustic British biscuit!

Edited by Boycie
If you make gluten free dunkers, I’ll buy some.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

So is there a demise in the biscuits industry?  Aren’t people buying them like they used to?

I hope a new buyer can be found, and a smart marketing campaign can be done to highlight the great rustic British biscuit!

People seem to prefer cakes like McVities make under the Jaffa label I think.

There are gluten free alternatives on that metre wide shelf at the back of Tescos. They taste like an egg box though.

14 hours ago, Boycie said:

I get my sugar fix from biscuits bought from Aldi, But back in the 80s when I was a driver I stopped off at the biscuit factory in Ashby to buy a couple of boxes of broken biscuits from the security office, I had 2 young children then and if you were lucky you'd get those chocolate dippers in there...the kids loved em.

Edited by Unlucky Alf

10 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I get my sugar fix from biscuits bought from Aldi, But back in the 80s when I was a driver I stopped off at the biscuit factory in Ashby to buy a couple of boxes of broken biscuits from the security office, I had 2 young children then and if you were lucky you'd get those chocolate dippers in there...the kids loved em.

I remember calling at the biscuit factory gates for a £5 box of broken biscuits back in the late 80’s. I’m sure they must have done a kitkat alternative as I seem to remember solid chocolate versions occasionally?

• 3 weeks later...

We live to fight another day!

Last minute change of plan for our biscuit factory.

Our current owners, Two Sisters Food Group, have sold us to a company named Boparan Private Office. Mr. Boparan is also owner of the aforementioned business.....think Mel Morris.......

We face a major restructure but seem to have secured extra business with various retailers alongside a price increase for our products and a promise of some investment.

16 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

We live to fight another day!

Last minute change of plan for our biscuit factory.

Our current owners, Two Sisters Food Group, have sold us to a company named Boparan Private Office. Mr. Boparan is also owner of the aforementioned business.....think Mel Morris.......

We face a major restructure but seem to have secured extra business with various retailers alongside a price increase for our products and a promise of some investment.

Is this the same group that bought S and A foods who sold their pre packed meals to Asda, Before she bailed.

Hope all goes well for you and the others down in Utch ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2021 at 11:18, Unlucky Alf said:

Great novelty value for brothers and me as well as saving Mum and Dad some money.

• 5 months later...

There is a recruitment day at Burton Town Hall today for local companies to entice people to join them.

If one of the chaps on the Elkes Biscuits, Uttoxeter stall is a bit distracted and keeps checking his phone, be patient, he'll be with you soon.....while your waiting, feel free to take a biscuit off the display. (Sorry, no Jaffa cakes).