Factory jobs

uttoxram75

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Erm, perhaps not.

Been told today that the Biscuit Factory in Uttoxeter is to be closed down by next March.

There may well be a few agency short term positions going but 600 of us will be out of work very soon.?

Early retirement then eh mate? 

17 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Erm, perhaps not.

Been told today that the Biscuit Factory in Uttoxeter is to be closed down by next March.

There may well be a few agency short term positions going but 600 of us will be out of work very soon.?

Sorry to hear that. Utch - and I'm sorry that I started making my own biccies last year.

I've been elected to represent the factory based salaried staff in the Consultation meetings regarding the "proposed" closure of our factory.

Had our first meeting today and it was quite brutal. We're ducked. Its an old site and due to several changes of ownership in recent years leading to no investment, coupled with mental increases in the price of flour, sugar, palm oil, and energy costs over the last 18 months, there is no way back.

We are not financially viable.

We have been through severe restructures in recent years, chopping jobs left, right and centre to no avail, the company that owns us does not want to modernise and invest so we will close in March 2022.

I've worked there for 42 years. Started as a machine operator in 1978, ended up as a Shift Production Manager, covered the Operations Manager role for a period when the site was between owners. FFS, I met me missus there!

In a small town like Uttoxeter, I have seen kids and grandkids of lads I first worked with start their working life at the factory. Had blokes coming up to me in pubs demanding to know why their lad had been sacked, had people begging me for jobs, my wife has been threatened because I had to sack somebody.

I have also had people come up to me and thanked me for giving them confidence to improve their lives, people who I used to work with who now run their own businesses who always buy me a pint because they were inspired by me. I can't express the feeling that gives me.

My son did his engineering apprenticeship at the factory and is now the Operations Manager for Aggreko in Asia. My daughter worked there for a few years part time running the factory shop and now runs her own business.

We used to do Evening shifts, Lunch Time relief shifts  etc that appealed to mums who wanted a part time job to work around childcare but we had to stop all that as we got taken over by different companies. We were a factory that was part of our community.

Its a sad situation but I will do everything I can to negotiate the best possible deal for the people who have asked me to represent them.

I'm a bit emotional and had a couple of drinks so time to call it a night.

On 08/10/2021 at 13:37, Ghost of Clough said:

Sadly, there's too much land there for developers not to want to build houses

Yeah, eventually that will be the case. It will probably be flattened and left empty for a few years like the old Bamfords site. Developers only want to build on greenfield sites it seems.

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yeah, eventually that will be the case. It will probably be flattened and left empty for a few years like the old Bamfords site. Developers only want to build on greenfield sites it seems.

Easier init? No time dealing the environ mentalists saying this an that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2021 at 00:35, uttoxram75 said:

I've been elected to represent the factory based salaried staff in the Consultation meetings regarding the "proposed" closure of our factory.

Had our first meeting today and it was quite brutal. We're ducked. Its an old site and due to several changes of ownership in recent years leading to no investment, coupled with mental increases in the price of flour, sugar, palm oil, and energy costs over the last 18 months, there is no way back.

We are not financially viable.

We have been through severe restructures in recent years, chopping jobs left, right and centre to no avail, the company that owns us does not want to modernise and invest so we will close in March 2022.

I've worked there for 42 years. Started as a machine operator in 1978, ended up as a Shift Production Manager, covered the Operations Manager role for a period when the site was between owners. FFS, I met me missus there!

In a small town like Uttoxeter, I have seen kids and grandkids of lads I first worked with start their working life at the factory. Had blokes coming up to me in pubs demanding to know why their lad had been sacked, had people begging me for jobs, my wife has been threatened because I had to sack somebody.

I have also had people come up to me and thanked me for giving them confidence to improve their lives, people who I used to work with who now run their own businesses who always buy me a pint because they were inspired by me. I can't express the feeling that gives me.

My son did his engineering apprenticeship at the factory and is now the Operations Manager for Aggreko in Asia. My daughter worked there for a few years part time running the factory shop and now runs her own business.

We used to do Evening shifts, Lunch Time relief shifts  etc that appealed to mums who wanted a part time job to work around childcare but we had to stop all that as we got taken over by different companies. We were a factory that was part of our community.

Its a sad situation but I will do everything I can to negotiate the best possible deal for the people who have asked me to represent them.

I'm a bit emotional and had a couple of drinks so time to call it a night.

I feel for you I really do. There but for the grace of god

On 29/09/2021 at 23:56, uttoxram75 said:

Erm, perhaps not.

Sorry to hear about that ?

Is your Factory Manager called Neil Stevenson btw?

Used to work with him a few years ago and am sure he said he was going to run the biscuit factory in Uttoxeter.

Retired now but during my unbroken 47 years of employment  I went through 5 instances where a new company took over so had to go through the horrible process of applying either for my existing role or something similar. At the very least employees should be treated as individuals and with respect - not always the case sadly.

Not saying it's the same for everyone but as each situation happened I became less stressed as to the outcome. Fingers crossed that you and your colleagues (and no doubt a few good friends amongst them) find suitable employment - being elected by your fellow workers says a lot about you and the high regard they must hold you in.

Best of luck mate.

Only just seen this.

Crap news.  I can't begin to imagine being laid off at my age (58) and @uttoxram75 has my sympathy and best wishes in equal measure.  
A plus that you've been elected to fight the good fight on behalf of your comrades though.  That says a lot about your character, and no doubt your (obvious) loyalty too.  Here's hoping that stands you in good stead, when it comes to meeting with potential new employers.

The very best of luck, Buddy.  ?

• 1 month later...

Just seen this thread. ?

Worked briefly at the site in the early 1990's on an engineering project that never reached its intended potential, (salesmen over promising and under delivering)!

Best of luck to everyone concerned.

Conundrum; I want to know where everyone who lives on a new estate (built on the site of an old factory) goes to work?

Edited by Grumpy Git