Your team made up of 1966 and 2021 players

Bob The Badger

Piers Morgan posted this on Twitter and of course the debate got vicious as all his threads do because he has a doctorate in assclownery and winding people up.

For some reason nobody pointed out to Piers that he was 1 when the game played but the attacks came thick and fast because he included Saku over the likes of Hunt and Greaves.

It wasn't clear whether you could use squad players or just the starting 11, but presuming it's the former and ignoring stuff like 'well they're just too fit and strong now, it would be all 21' or 'they headed real pigs bladders filled with cement back then and were proper 'ard' and just looking at ability, who would be in your team?

BTW, I didn't realise until yesterday that Jimmy Greaves, along with Ron Flowers (who I'm not sure if I'd even heard of tbh), was the last player to be honoured from that entire squad by the Queen. And that was in 2020 with a mere MBE!

I find it appalling that other players have even been knighted and honoured decades before him because if not for an earlier injury letting Hurst in he'd have played. Plus he just happened to be the greatest striker in England for years and one of the greatest of all time. Way ahead of Sir Geoff.

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Piers Morgan posted this on Twitter and of course the debate got vicious as all his threads do because he has a doctorate in assclownery and winding people up.

For some reason nobody pointed out to Piers that he was 1 when the game played but the attacks came thick and fast because he included Saku over the likes of Hunt and Greaves.

It wasn't clear whether you could use squad players or just the starting 11, but presuming it's the former and ignoring stuff like 'well they're just too fit and strong now, it would be all 21' or 'they headed real pigs bladders filled with cement back then and were proper 'ard' and just looking at ability, who would be in your team?

BTW, I didn't realise until yesterday that Jimmy Greaves, along with Ron Flowers (who I'm not sure if I'd even heard of tbh), was the last player to be honoured from that entire squad by the Queen. And that was in 2020 with a mere MBE!

I find it appalling that other players have even been knighted and honoured decades before him because if not for an earlier injury letting Hurst in he'd have played. Plus he just happened to be the greatest striker in England for years and one of the greatest of all time. Way ahead of Sir Geoff.

44 goals for England and not a single penalty.  The best striker this country has ever produced.  Cracking documentary about him on BT Sport.

5 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Sterling from this squad and that's probably it. 

I was interested in what they thought of the game in other countries and I saw this comment about Sterling on a French site :

Court partout comme un canard sans tête.  

Perfect. He does run like a duck, albeit a very fast one.

I watched the 1966 game again the other day and the standard of football was fairly poor. Only Moore, Charlton and Ball from the 1966 final team would get into this England team. Perhaps Banks as well.