Nathan Byrne

Comrade 86

Byrne like the left back has a very tough job on their hands with how we play. 

Part of a flat back four when defending and pretty much a wing back when we have the ball.

He makes mistakes but he’s doing a decent job, the mistakes don’t surprise me given the amount of ground he has to cover after busting a gut to get forwards, being ignored l, our moves break down and he has to bust a gut to get back.

He will always be targeted because of his height, that’s unfortunate but a fact of life.

The other option is Festy, he’s got bags of potential and deserves game time. But let’s be honest here, Festy will be prone to the same/similar defensive mistakes, possibly more so as he’s young and learning.

I feel we are lucky, we have a decent experienced RB in Byrne and a youngster with bags of potential.

Right back is the least of our concerns right now!

1 minute ago, Ramarena said:

Byrne like the left back has a very tough job on their hands with how we play. 

Part of a flat back four when defending and pretty much a wing back when we have the ball.

He makes mistakes but he’s doing a decent job, the mistakes don’t surprise me given the amount of ground he has to cover after busting a gut to get forwards, being ignored l, our moves break down and he has to bust a gut to get back.

He will always be targeted because of his height, that’s unfortunate but a fact of life.

The other option is Festy, he’s got bags of potential and deserves game time. But let’s be honest here, Festy will be prone to the same/similar defensive mistakes, possibly more so as he’s young and learning.

I feel we are lucky, we have a decent experienced RB in Byrne and a youngster with bags of potential.

Right back is the least of our concerns right now!

Only one goal could be directly contributed to him being upfield and that was Birminghams second goal.

and yes I watched every goal we’ve conceded this season last night. 

15 minutes ago, tinman said:

Only one goal could be directly contributed to him being upfield and that was Birminghams second goal.

and yes I watched every goal we’ve conceded this season last night. 

It’s not just being upfield though, it’s working hard to get back and get in position as an oppositions attack is developing, picking up a runner at the same time, etc, etc.

Im sure he makes defensive mistakes, we can drop him if we want and start Festy, what do we do if Festy makes the same or worse mistakes?

Defensively Oppositions routinely overload us at his side both in open play and from set pieces and he is routinely beaten in the air or from a player coming in. 
He does an OK job, but is clearly the weak link, especially when the ball is played in over the top or from wide. 

Going forward he can be a bonus, but we use him so rarely sometimes it’s laughable. 
Yesterday was a prime example of him taking up progressive positions in space and being found 1 time out of 15 by our team.
This is not his fault in the attacking department because we rarely play the cross field pass and our centre backs are laboured in their passing. Some of our midfielders are also negative so he’s left doing nothing. 

4 hours ago, tinman said:

Peterborough x2

luton

Blackburn

4 goals this season that have been caused by him being completely unaware of his surrounds and letting his man go past him. Or falling over the ball in the penalty box in the case of Peterborough’s second goal. 

thats a third of our goals concede this season.  

Granted that these goals were down to him, but if used properly, he is our leading creator of goals and the goals he creats will outweigh those that he concedes.

Which leads me to a key problem we have this season, we are continually ignoring his runs down the wing. Look at the goal against Coventry, when CKR gets the ball Byrne is 50 yards away, but then goes like a train to catch up with play and then put in the cross for Shinnie to score. Maybe playing 3 at the back would take the pressure of his defending and allow him to play more forward.