Worst case scenario

Recently I've been thinking of what life in League 1 could look life. I still think we will scrape a result against Wednesday to stay up.

Firstly, I wouldn't be surprised if this takeover fall through, in fact I would be very surprised if Erik Alonso is our owner next season.

Then I can see a lot of our players leaving. David Marshall, Nathan Byrne, Graeme Shinnie, Jason Knight, Louie Sibley and Kamil Jozwiak will all be sold in my opinion. With Wisdom and Waghorn not being offered new contracts and Curtis Davies may join them, but I hope he stays for his leadership. This would leave us with just under a dozen senior players alongside the younger players coming through. 

We will need to add players and their are plenty of useful players available this summer who Derby could go for. These include players like Aiden McGeady, James Collins and Charlie Wyke, who would improve us in League 1. Defensively theirs players like Reece Burke and jack Tucker that are all available on free transfers at the end of their contract. However, I can't see Mel putting his hand in his pocket to add this sort of quality.

This leads on to my next concern. Derby will clearly not be as valuable to potential buyers in League 1. So will Mel adjust what he wants to sell the club for? If Mel doesn't want to put his hand in his pocket could we end up with a poor league 1 squad or even worse insolvency?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game tomorrow is huge because I really do think we're ducked as a club if we get relegated. An already small squad gets smaller, no owner, no manager, no finances, a dodgy takeover. It's just a recipe for disaster. We simply have to win.

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

This game tomorrow is huge because I really do think we're ducked as a club if we get relegated. An already small squad gets smaller, no owner, no manager, no finances, a dodgy takeover. It's just a recipe for disaster. We simply have to win.

I agree. One of my concerns is that what you said happened with another Derbyshire club in Chesterfield and they went down in back to back seasons. 

14 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

win and we are in the same position we will just have more revenue which will help short term. The small squad is going to get smaller, the Manager will either stay or be sacked (both will leave us without a manager) MM is skint and we are in the process of a dodgy takeover. 

We are in a mess win or lose I’m afraid. 

Plenty of freebies available who thanks to Covid will have to get used to lower more affordable salaries whether at Derby or any other lower champ/L1 club.

Plenty more youngsters coming through too to help fill out the squad (yeah yeah I know... I'm not saying to completely rely on a team full of youngsters before anyone starts!).

3 grizzly centre halves and another centre forward option would make the world of difference to the youngsters they'd be playing with.

Sorry for the doom post but even if we do stay up I'm worried for the club, even if we escape Erik Alonso I'm worried for the club, all I can see is administration, and maybe no club left at all.

Happy Friday!

I'm not against going into League One I just want the club to survive any way it can.

What's this, the Pessimism thread?

Whatever happens tomorrow, this damn awful season finally ends. We're edging out of lockdown. The sun is shining.

New owner, new manager, either way......

This is now a great opportunity to reset.

Let the good times roll again! COYR ? 

happyExcited.gif.98ffdb2ee978569c085ea39780c19d0e.gif

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

win and we are in the same position we will just have more revenue which will help short term. The small squad is going to get smaller, the Manager will either stay or be sacked (both will leave us without a manager) MM is skint and we are in the process of a dodgy takeover. 

We are in a mess win or lose I’m afraid. 

No doubt but we are in less of a mess if we win. Relegation would be catastrophic. Stay up and I do believe we can move forwards quickly. 

Just now, Rammy03 said:

No doubt but we are in less of a mess if we win. Relegation would be catastrophic. Stay up and I do believe we can move forwards quickly. 

I hope so mate, and hope it’s without this management team. 

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

Sorry for the doom post but even if we do stay up I'm worried for the club, even if we escape Erik Alonso I'm worried for the club, all I can see is administration, and maybe no club left at all.

Happy Friday!

I'm not against going into League One I just want the club to survive any way it can.

Clubs have been in far worse situations then ours and survived. There are clubs currently in far worse situations than ours, who will probably survive. 

the only club to completely go out of business that I can remember is bury. Bolton we’re on the brink, but we’re saved, and now look to be on the up again. 

let’s just worry about relegation for now, before we start piling insolvency onto the list of things to be worried about. Administration could be a possibility, but Leicester went into administration, and look at them now. 

5 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Relegation would be catastrophic.

It would not be great but "catastrophic" is a million times over an exaggeration.

There are examples of teams that bounce back and others that languish a while.

There are clubs that go into Administration but I really do not see that happening here.....whatever people think of Mel.

Hull City's owners stopped putting money in a while back, but a decent manager, some wheeling and dealing, they've bounced back as Champions.

Yes, none of us want to see our club relegated but there are bigger "catastrophes" in the world.

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

It would not be great but "catastrophic" is a million times over an exaggeration.

There are examples of teams that bounce back and others that languish a while.

There are clubs that go into Administration but I really do not see that happening here.....whatever people think of Mel.

Hull City's owners stopped putting money in a while back, but a decent manager, some wheeling and dealing, they've bounced back as Champions.

Yes, none of us want to see our club relegated but there are bigger "catastrophes" in the world.

Catastrophic in football terms.

We would be going down with one of the smallest squads I've ever seen, probably no manager and an owner who wants out as quick as possible. Add the current financial situation to that and it's a disaster.

Hull were almost prepared for their relegation, it wasn't the biggest shock. They didn't lose many players. They already had a League one squad if you like. A bit of wheeling and dealing and they're back.

We would need a total rebuild from scratch. Of course we could attract the players but I just feel it could be a long and painful road back. That's just my feeling, you might well be right but this is the worst case scenario.

15 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Weren’t there groups interested in buying the club if they stayed up. An American group and an agent if I remember right.

Just now, Northstand_Ram said:

Weren’t there groups interested in buying the club if they stayed up. An American group and an agent if I remember right.

There was a consortium that Percy described as the 'dream' takeover

4 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

There was a consortium that Percy described as the 'dream' takeover

Didnt he say something along the lines of the dream takeover for Derby as in Morris, if that is the case then that cant be the Rush/Appleby consortium many believe as that wouldn't Mel's dream takeover

2 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Possibly biggest game in our recent history,if we do go down you can bet the takeover will not happen and if it does it will be at a greatly reduced price,would that be enough then for Mel to walk away

We have the worst recent form than any team in all 4 divisions and once again i can see Barry Bannan having a field day,this is without doubt last chance saloon for us as i could quite easily see us not only being relegated but no takeover and club in administration 

Archived