Films people who might want to see in 2021 in cinermas

B4ev6is

55 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well with cinermas due to open on may 17th but quite few new films coming out in may but I know some people are scared of coming to these sort of places but let me resure you we do everything we can to keep you all safe.

You looking forward to getting back to work? I’ll go and see new Bond film asap. 

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

You looking forward to getting back to work? I’ll go and see new Bond film asap. 

Yes in one way but in other way of some gusts who give me abuse I am  not looking forward too.

But let me advise to book tickets depanding what cinerma you go too the tickets likely to be gold dust for good few weeks.

26 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

I'm still too scared to go to these kinds of places. Took my son and a couple of his mates last year before lockdown and I reckon the popcorn and nacho bill was more life limiting than covid.

Look I can promise all steps being taken to keep people safe.

I'll be looking out for...

The Many Saints of Newark - feature prequel to the brilliant The Sopranos. David Chase's involvement alone is more enough for me to want to see it.

Dune - The Denis Villeneuve re-make, I'm really interested to see what he does with a great storyline. I actually liked the original which was a titanic flop and universally panned by the public and critics alike. Not really sold that, have I?

The Last Duel - Have personal and poignant reasons for wanting to see this. A throwback to Ridley Scott's breakthrough movie, perhaps?

Nightmare Alley - Psychological thriller from Guillermo del Toro who directed one of my 'desert island' movies, Pan's Labyrinth. I hear good things...

The guilty pleasures list may include the latest Matrix instalment, No Time To Die, because I love a Bond movie, I do, Black Widow because... well, Scarlett Johannsson and Top Gun: Maverick, because 2 hour-long, homo-erotic, pop promos rock my world.

High-octane, cinematographic kitsch is where it's at, right?

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I'll be looking out for...

The Many Saints of Newark - feature prequel to the brilliant The Sopranos. David Chase's involvement alone is more enough for me to want to see it.

Dune - The Denis Villeneuve re-make, I'm really interested to see what he does with a great storyline. I actually liked the original which was a titanic flop and universally panned by the public and critics alike. Not really sold that, have I?

The Last Duel - Have personal and poignant reasons for wanting to see this. A throwback to Ridley Scott's breakthrough movie, perhaps?

Nightmare Alley - Psychological thriller from Guillermo del Toro who directed one of my 'desert island' movies, Pan's Labyrinth. I hear good things...

The guilty pleasures list may include the latest Matrix instalment, No Time To Die, because I love a Bond movie, I do, Black Widow because... well, Scarlett Johannsson and Top Gun: Maverick, because 2 hour-long, homo-erotic, pop promos rock my world.

High-octane, cinematographic kitsch is where it's at, right?

Original Dune was so far removed from the book it was a different story. Baron Harkonnen was a scheming, master genius in the book (my recollection at least) and he was a fat idiot in the film. And Sting playing - er, I can't really say what he was doing. Being Sting in a fancy dress?

Just now, GboroRam said:

Original Dune was so far removed from the book it was a different story. Baron Harkonnen was a scheming, master genius in the book (my recollection at least) and he was a fat idiot in the film. And Sting playing - er, I can't really say what he was doing. Being Sting in a fancy dress?

How good was the Dune computer game though!

52 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I think it's difficult when you get a film adaptation of a book. Those who have never read the book(s) will judge the film on its own merits, while those who have, will most likely have their assessment coloured by written version, most often not in a good way, especially when said novels are considered classics of their genre. That said, I liked the Bourne Trilogy movies and read the books as a consequence and they were a steaming, hot mess by comparison.

I've not read the Frank Herbert series so I'm looking forward to this because it's a great story and I think Villeneuve is a huge talent. Prisoners, Arrivals and Sicario were all excellent though his Blade Runner 2049 received rather mixed reviews. Hopefully he does a little more to keep the Dune readership happy.

25 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think it's difficult when you get a film adaptation of a book. Those who have never read the book(s) will judge the film on its own merits, while those who have, will most likely have their assessment coloured by written version, most often not in a good way, especially when said novels are considered classics of their genre. That said, I liked the Bourne Trilogy movies and read the books as a consequence and they were a steaming, hot mess by comparison.

I've not read the Frank Herbert series so I'm looking forward to this because it's a great story and I think Villeneuve is a huge talent. Prisoners, Arrivals and Sicario were all excellent though his Blade Runner 2049 received rather mixed reviews. Hopefully he does a little more to keep the Dune readership happy.

Still haven't seen 2049, it's on my list - but with a missus who hates sci-fi, it's going to be a tough sell.

I know what you mean about films vs books. Normally you read the book and the film doesn't live up to it, I guess because CGI is capable of a lot of stuff but nothing that your brain can't conjure up ten times more vividly.

But it's not always that way - sometimes the film can outshine the book. I find problems with a lot of Steven King novels, I don't think he has good endings (well until I stopped reading his books about 30 years ago - he pumps them out too fast to keep up). But some iffy novels have pretty good films. The Shining is a better film than book. Christine and Cujo are also. The Dead Zone is a cracking film and a really disappointing book.

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Still haven't seen 2049, it's on my list - but with a missus who hates sci-fi, it's going to be a tough sell.

I know what you mean about films vs books. Normally you read the book and the film doesn't live up to it, I guess because CGI is capable of a lot of stuff but nothing that your brain can't conjure up ten times more vividly.

But it's not always that way - sometimes the film can outshine the book. I find problems with a lot of Steven King novels, I don't think he has good endings (well until I stopped reading his books about 30 years ago - he pumps them out too fast to keep up). But some iffy novels have pretty good films. The Shining is a better film than book. Christine and Cujo are also. The Dead Zone is a cracking film and a really disappointing book.

Can't disagree with any of that ?

40 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Just watching Moonraker on TV. Must say, I much prefer older Bond films. The more modern ones take themselves far too seriously. 

I think it’s because, post Jason Bourne, they decided they had to go for more realism. Plus Austin Powers did such a good job of spoofing the older ones that it couldn’t really be got away with any more. IMO anyway

Give me a hollowed out volcano any day, though. 

I’m an MCU fan so looking forward to those 3 films (Black Widow, Shang-Chi and Eternals) although first one isn’t out until July. Will take the kids to the new Pixar film. Bond is another to be seen in the cinema.

Do you reckon cinemas will show modern classics like they did last Summer? We took the kids to a couple of movies for cheap - screens were quiet and it was a nice experience.