Will Rooney stay if takeover doesn’t happen

Curtains

15 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Good post but will that get us to the Premiership riches if the takeover doesn’t go ahead .

What I’m saying is the takeover is vital without promotion if MM wants to leave the club. 

Maybe I’m not making sense if so I’m sorry. 

I don’t want to detract from the Academy 

Short term Rooney has done well with the squad .

It wasn’t my point originally it was Steele and Dawes point and they may be wrong .

To sum up IMO MM wants to sell the club and maybe keep PP .

He is trying to get new owners in. 

So far it hasn’t happened but I’m sure Mel and Wayne want it too .

If we stay in the Championship without investment from a takeover MM will have to fund the club.

We have players out of contract in the summer.

The conundrum is trying to get promoted to Premier riches or stay as we are which is almost impossible because of Covid losses and no parachute payments.

Now whatever happens with the takeover  will I would imagine influence our position going forward regarding administrative stability.

MM will always be respected by most Derby Fans IMO 

All the best to MM and the situation for Derby County going forward  

PS The appeal by the EFL is ongoing and FFP will influence what also happens going forward 

Compare our potential squad for next season with our last playoff campaign (18/19) and I don't think there would be a great deal of difference. Wilson being an obvious weak point, but we'd be stronger with Sibley and Ibe than with Bennett and Jozefzoon. Bielik also much better than Huddlestone so there's an improvement there. In my opinion, 4 players must be signed - 2CBs, AM and CF for us to be a top 6 squad (3rd CB would just be a bonus). A couple loans, and a couple of frees and we could be there without the spending and the takeover you think we must have.

image.png.e6ed3a5ba988cedc709d8220ac9ff6b3.png

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, RamNut said:

GK: I’m not convinced by Marshall and he’s even older than Scott Carson, but I accept that finding a really good younger keeper isn’t necessarily the no1 priority.

Focus on the CBs, AM/W and CF this season. The GK issue can be looked at in a years time when we can re-evaluate how close Foster is.

34 minutes ago, RamNut said:

sibley doesn’t seem to feature much under Rooney and that’s unlikely to change imo.

ibe - who knows - 6 months and still nowhere near? But we live in hope. If he’s still not fit by the end of the season then I would hope we can just get rid. 

Both good sub options though. I've written off Ibe for this season. Let him focus on getting ready for next season.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Compare our potential squad for next season with our last playoff campaign (18/19) and I don't think there would be a great deal of difference. Wilson being an obvious weak point, but we'd be stronger with Sibley and Ibe than with Bennett and Jozefzoon. Bielik also much better than Huddlestone so there's an improvement there. In my opinion, 4 players must be signed - 2CBs, AM and CF for us to be a top 6 squad (3rd CB would just be a bonus). A couple loans, and a couple of frees and we could be there without the spending and the takeover you think we must have.

Good research there mate 

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Another way of looking at it for sure. 

Thanks for that so let’s see what happens going forward .

Maybe Eric and Ed haven’t got it quite right regarding Rooney leaving if a takeover doesn’t happen 

I still see difficult times ahead though 

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The thing we miss that we had that season was genuine creativity from central midfield i.e. mason mount. Harry Wilson with his magic. We also had a bigger squad, a lot of experience, players who had been there and done it. We miss some of that too. But apart from that, you're right there isn't a great deal of difference. We just need some players in the summer. If a takeover happens then we'll be able to do that. There's no reason we can't challenge again next season. This notion that we're 'years away' from being that standard again is complete rubbish. It can all come together in one transfer window. We've seen it countless times before.

I wouldn’t think so, no. He agreed to become our manager under the expectation that Sheikh Khaled would shortly complete his takeover, and provide investment. That obviously hasn’t happened, so we’re stuck with Mel who won’t put any more funding into the club. Will Rooney want to work in such conditions? He may well choose to jump ship to a more ambitious club, if the opportunity arises.

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I wouldn’t think so, no. He agreed to become our manager under the expectation that Sheikh Khaled would shortly complete his takeover, and provide investment. That obviously hasn’t happened, so we’re stuck with Mel who won’t put any more funding into the club. Will Rooney want to work in such conditions? He may well choose to jump ship to a more ambitious club, if the opportunity arises.

Surely he needs to prove himself a bit more first. He has done well, but he needs to get us challenging next season I think before other teams come knocking....

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Surely he needs to prove himself a bit more first. He has done well, but he needs to get us challenging next season I think before other teams come knocking....

If he keeps us up, he’ll have done enough to get another Championship team to take him on imo.

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That team scraped into the play offs, even with a current England international, someone now playing by for Milan and a midfielder who scored for fun.
Bielk probably won't be fit for the start of the season, we have to find not one but two centre backs. Ibe hasn't played for how many years and I'm not sure why the quality of players that currently don't look out of place in a bottom half league side would suddenly improve to be a top 6 one, but other than that, yes we are very close to that side ?

7 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

I'm not sure why the quality of players that currently don't look out of place in a bottom half league side would suddenly improve to be a top 6 one, but other than that, yes we are very close to that side ?

We've seen it happen countless times in the past. Barnsley and Reading are doing it this season

8 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

We've seen it happen countless times in the past. Barnsley and Reading are doing it this season

We have to be fair, but you could see the potential, in Reading players at least, not sure about Barnsley. 

13 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I can’t see him moving to another Championship club....

Oh stop it, please 

there must be other clubs closer to Manchester, more deserving.

blackburn, preston, Huddersfield?

34 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not really if we are being honest. His name alone is going to carry a lot more weight than pretty much anything does here. 

If he keeps us up that will be proven enough for someone to gamble on him. 

20 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Not really if we are being honest. His name alone is going to carry a lot more weight than pretty much anything does here. 

If he keeps us up that will be proven enough for someone to gamble on him. 

Time will tell...

Archived