Will Rooney stay if takeover doesn’t happen

Curtains

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Ok? Last week you were singing the praises of Louie Watson and calling for him to start. 

I still want him to start with the senior players. 

I don’t want all Academy players starting week in week out like you do 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest I think there is a fair chance he leaves in the summer regardless. If he guides us to safety and possibly a little more this season then his stock will be fairly high and it will be no surprise if someone gambles on him from the premiership. If an offer comes in I think it's pretty likely that he jumps from a couple reasons; takeover or not we are a bit of a basket case right now and it's far from guaranteed that we can make a serious promotion push next year and the second is the quicker he gets a premiership job the quicker he can leverage it into a better premiership job. 

28 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I still want him to start with the senior players. 

I don’t want all Academy players starting week in week out like you do 

Actually I’d probably have three or four youngsters in the team, and at least 8 in the squad.
It’s the senior players who have disappointed this season. Waghorn, Lawrence, Marriott, Holmes,  and that 35 year old midfielder who couldn’t run. Ibe hasn’t managed a full game at any level.

we may have to plug a few gaps with youngsters short term pending new arrivals. 

new, Byrne, Buchanan, new, new, bielik, knight, sibley, jozwiak, CKR, new

foster, McDonald, fozzy, new, new, shinnie, bird, Watson, new , new, Wilson

plus ebosele, brown a, Hutchinson, stretton, Solomon, shonibare, Mitchell-Lawson, etc

we haven’t seen some of them yet. 
wisdom and Edmundson may end up staying. Similarly Clarke. Most probably we will stick with Marshall.

3 or 4 we’ll chosen new arrivals could be all we need.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Actually I’d probably have three or four youngsters in the team, and at least 8 in the squad.
It’s the senior players who have disappointed this season. Waghorn, Lawrence, Marriott, Holmes,  and that 35 year old midfielder who couldn’t run. Ibe hasn’t managed a full game at any level.

plus ebosele, brown a, Hutchinson, stretton, Solomon, shonibare, Mitchell-Lawson, etc

wisdom and Edmundson may end up staying. Similarly Clarke. Most probably we will stick with Marshall.

Promotion it is then. 

The thread has gone totally off topic. 

Steele and Dawes said in their opinion after the game against Barnsley that if the takeover didn’t go ahead that Rooney would most probably leave without funding .

It’s out there for discussion and I don’t necessarily agree with them  

We are not sure what he would do !

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Promotion it is then. 

Forget about promotion. Let’s just have some decent football and some goals.

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The thread has gone totally off topic. 

Steele and Dawes said in their opinion after the game against Barnsley that if the takeover didn’t go ahead that Rooney would most probably leave without funding .

It’s out there for discussion and I don’t necessarily agree with them  

We are not sure what he would do !

Yippee. Let’s hope they go and take their stupid tactical hoof ball wizardry somewhere else.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Forget about promotion. Let’s just have some decent football and some goals.

What’s the point of that. 

I can watch that in any game in the Champions League or Premier League.

The idea of Football is to compete in the top Leagues 

Just now, Curtains said:

What’s the point of that. 

I can watch that in any game in the Champions League or Premier League.

The idea of Football is to compete in the top Leagues 

Because we’re not ready and we can’t go and buy 11 new players.

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Because we’re not ready and we can’t go and buy 11 new players.

Then bankruptcy will await without a takeover.

Its as simple as that .

MM can’t fund us forever without funds coming in 

Why don’t you get that 

PS Promotion to Premiership funds teams.

Just now, Curtains said:

Then bankruptcy will await without a takeover.

Its as simple as that .

MM can’t fund us forever without funds coming in 

Why don’t you get that 

I love it when you’re rude. Proper turns me on.

Lol. @Curtains you are a card.

We’ve just has 5 or 6 years of heavy spending. It didn’t work. We’ve lost the stadium and we fell foul of ffp. 
We need to rein it in a bit. 

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Lol. @Curtains you are a card.

We’ve just has 5 or 6 years of heavy spending. It didn’t work. We’ve lost the stadium and we fell foul of ffp. 
We need to rein it in a bit. 

We can’t .

The Academy is costing a fortune as are wages .

There is not much money coming into the club because of Covid 19.

We need a takeover to go ahead .

If it doesn’t I suspect we will go into administration if MM doesn’t fund the club and that’s my opinion not fact 

Rooney is far from stupid - he can see what's happened to Lampard and must realise the cut-throat nature of management in league football but even more so in the PL. Also he's probably comfortable with his standing in the game without the need for praise from anyone, which i felt was sometimes the case with Lampard.

I think he'll stay providing he sees a situation where he is able and allowed to move the Club forward and doubt it will be influenced by being courted by any other club.

37 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don't see the squad much differently to you.
GK   Marshall/Roos can stay in goal. Why spend money when we have 2 adequate keepers already at the club?
2 new starting CBs ✔️ Pretty obvious when Clarke, Edmundson, Mengi's loans end, with Wisdom and Davies leaving on frees
Sibley   I expect him to be used as a winger under Rooney, which opens up a position for a new starting AM
LW   Lawrence back to full fitness will be like a new signing - the link up wide man that we desperately need, and goals from someone other than Kazim
2 new sub CBs   1 at most, maybe someone like Mengi. Solomon to step up to provide emergency cover (looking at 3 or 4 games over a season)
Sub winger   Sibley and Ibe being winger options means another signing shouldn't be needed. With the likes of Wilson stepping up we'll be well covered.
Backup CF  ✔️ 

Back to the discussion between @Curtains and yourself. These are the academy graduates I'm expecting to see next season:
Regular starters
Buchanan - clearly our best LB, so hard to argue why he shouldn't be starting
Bird - Used in rotation with Knight and Shinnie for the deep CM positions until Bielik returns
Knight - See above. Also used for odd games further forward.

Rotation
Sibley - Rotation on the wings with Lawrence, Jozwiak and Ibe

Backup
McDonald - Filling in for Byrne for a few games, and occasional sub
Watson - 6th choice CM, so looking at about 10 apps, mostly from the bench
Stretton - 3rd choice CF, 10 games, mostly from the bench

Reserve
Foster - Cup keeper
Archie - 3rd choice LB behind Buchanan and Fozzy.  Maybe 5 games
Solomon - 4th choice CB, 3 or 4 games.
Wilson - cover on the wings, a couple of games when one of our other options is unavailable. 

That balance seems about right to me and isn't reliant on any other than Buchanan, Bird and Knight who have already established themselves in the team

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I don't see the squad much differently to you.
GK   Marshall/Roos can stay in goal. Why spend money when we have 2 adequate keepers already at the club?
2 new starting CBs ✔️ Pretty obvious when Clarke, Edmundson, Mengi's loans end, with Wisdom and Davies leaving on frees
Sibley   I expect him to be used as a winger under Rooney, which opens up a position for a new starting AM
LW   Lawrence back to full fitness will be like a new signing - the link up wide man that we desperately need, and goals from someone other than Kazim
2 new sub CBs   1 at most, maybe someone like Mengi. Solomon to step up to provide emergency cover (looking at 3 or 4 games over a season)
Sub winger   Sibley and Ibe being winger options means another signing shouldn't be needed. With the likes of Wilson stepping up we'll be well covered.
Backup CF  ✔️ 

Back to the discussion between @Curtains and yourself. These are the academy graduates I'm expecting to see next season:
Regular starters
Buchanan - clearly our best LB, so hard to argue why he shouldn't be starting
Bird - Used in rotation with Knight and Shinnie for the deep CM positions until Bielik returns
Knight - See above. Also used for odd games further forward.

Rotation
Sibley - Rotation on the wings with Lawrence, Jozwiak and Ibe

Backup
McDonald - Filling in for Byrne for a few games, and occasional sub
Watson - 6th choice CM, so looking at about 10 apps, mostly from the bench
Stretton - 3rd choice CF, 10 games, mostly from the bench

Reserve
Foster - Cup keeper
Archie - 3rd choice LB behind Buchanan and Fozzy.  Maybe 5 games
Solomon - 4th choice CB, 3 or 4 games.
Wilson - cover on the wings, a couple of games when one of our other options is unavailable. 

That balance seems about right to me and isn't reliant on any other than Buchanan, Bird and Knight who have already established themselves in the team

Good post but will that get us to the Premiership riches if the takeover doesn’t go ahead .

What I’m saying is the takeover is vital without promotion if MM wants to leave the club. 

Maybe I’m not making sense if so I’m sorry. 

I don’t want to detract from the Academy 

Short term Rooney has done well with the squad .

It wasn’t my point originally it was Steele and Dawes point and they may be wrong .

To sum up IMO MM wants to sell the club and maybe keep PP .

He is trying to get new owners in. 

So far it hasn’t happened but I’m sure Mel and Wayne want it too .

If we stay in the Championship without investment from a takeover MM will have to fund the club.

We have players out of contract in the summer.

The conundrum is trying to get promoted to Premier riches or stay as we are which is almost impossible because of Covid losses and no parachute payments.

Now whatever happens with the takeover  will I would imagine influence our position going forward regarding administrative stability.

MM will always be respected by most Derby Fans IMO 

All the best to MM and the situation for Derby County going forward  

PS The appeal by the EFL is ongoing and FFP will influence what also happens going forward 

GK: I’m not convinced by Marshall and he’s even older than Scott Carson, but I accept that finding a really good younger keeper isn’t necessarily the no1 priority.

sibley doesn’t seem to feature much under Rooney and that’s unlikely to change imo.

ibe - who knows - 6 months and still nowhere near? But we live in hope. If he’s still not fit by the end of the season then I would hope we can just get rid. 

Really good proper wingers are the key to turning this team around and providing the creativity we are lacking. 
There aren’t many around though.

Archived