Will Rooney stay if takeover doesn’t happen

Curtains

I really can't see Rooney staying past next season or even before if he gets the call from any prem club in need of a new gaffer.

He is a extremely ambitious guy and if he's offered better resources then he will be gone.

All of his talk of something special happening here are no doubt said with a degree of honesty but he will say that about his next club and the one after that..that's football.

To be honest as and when he does go then that's the point at which a proper reset of the club's mentality can take place and we start from scratch and we can rebuild from a solid and more realistic base.

*Of course if the takeover ever happens and with it comes a sudden massive influx of cash,you can disregard the above or at least put it off for a little while *

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can’t see him leaving, funds or no funds. With funds it’s all go and try for promotion, but if the funds do not appear and his hands are tied, it’s really a free hit for him. No expectation. If he leaves, where would he go? He hasn’t achieved anything to attract prem clubs.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

I think the only way Rooney will stay is if he has the funds to compete in the top 10. That could be from a takeover or from Mel becoming re-involved. 

Conversely, we could have a takeover where no money is available to strengthen the squad. In this case, I think Rooney will be off.

I'm not sure it's so much about money...throwing money at it is very risky...viz Nick Blackman, Butterfield, Bradley Johnson, Tom Lawrence, ...In the post-COVID football World, I think a new realism will emerge. There is the ongoing battle between EFL and PL that is starting to hot up about money and Mel Morris started that debate many months ago and gradually EFL have started to see the point {remember Simon Jordan's "The EFL are discussing the colour of the linesman's flags whilst Clubs around them are financially imploding"}.

Football is on the verge of a major reset and that will re-dress the balance back to sensible sustainability and all of this will be on Wazza's mind as he looks at the next couple of years....

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

I think the only way Rooney will stay is if he has the funds to compete in the top 10. That could be from a takeover or from Mel becoming re-involved. 

Conversely, we could have a takeover where no money is available to strengthen the squad. In this case, I think Rooney will be off.

I think Mel's had a health scare and recognises the need to step back now. He has achieved great things for Derby County but now it's time for the next chapter. Mel's guiding hand will be in the background ensuring common sense prevails...

11 minutes ago, Floppy Sausage said:

I can’t see him leaving, funds or no funds. With funds it’s all go and try for promotion, but if the funds do not appear and his hands are tied, it’s really a free hit for him. No expectation. If he leaves, where would he go? He hasn’t achieved anything to attract prem clubs.

Unfortunately though, Derby fans being what they are, there will be expectations, and probably unrealistic ones at that.

People will think he's had his free hit time now, and without funding he might not fancy another season that might be focused more on the bottom than the top. 

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I really can't see Rooney staying past next season or even before if he gets the call from any prem club in need of a new gaffer.

He is a extremely ambitious guy and if he's offered better resources then he will be gone.

All of his talk of something special happening here are no doubt said with a degree of honesty but he will say that about his next club and the one after that..that's football.

To be honest as and when he does go then that's the point at which a proper reset of the club's mentality can take place and we start from scratch and we can rebuild from a solid and more realistic base.

*Of course if the takeover ever happens and with it comes a sudden massive influx of cash,you can disregard the above or at least put it off for a little while *

Not sure he has done enough quite yet to get prem clubs sniffing around...

Totally different financial landscape next season and remember the club has already had the money of an awful lot of season ticket holders to pay bills this season - money will be very tight and it will be fairly easy for two of the relegated to easily gain promotion back to the premiership. Expect Sheffield United to win the league and the other relegated premiership club to easily gain promotion with WBA failing in their first attempt, so there is one spot to aim for. We will need some perfect signings which is rather hard to find  

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Totally different financial landscape next season and remember the club has already had the money of an awful lot of season ticket holders to pay bills this season - money will be very tight and it will be fairly easy for two of the relegated to easily gain promotion back to the premiership. Expect Sheffield United to win the league and the other relegated premiership club to easily gain promotion with WBA failing in their first attempt, so there is one spot to aim for. We will need some perfect signings which is rather hard to find  

Not sure it’s quite as simple as that, all very unpredictable...

11 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

You said that Steele postulated that Rooney would leave if the club was taken over as he was inferring that he wouldn't get funds for transfers. So how does Steele know if we did get taken over Rooney wouldn't get these funds?

Or am I being thick. Am only requoting what you original point was. 

You're being thick.

Curtains said "Will Rooney stay if takeover doesn't happen"? "Inferred on RD he wouldn't", "he would want funds".

We do need some new players but under ffp even if the owner has the available funds, we’re not allowed to spend it (unless income exceeds costs by several millions per annum).

we had wages >40m. Income @30m, so the financial landscape has to shift significantly before we can go on a bit of a spending spree. I sometimes wonder whether the managers understand this. Even Frank admitted he had no idea of the financial implications of ffp prior to his arrival. 

Furthermore do we really need major investment? 
apart from one or two obvious  gaps, we have the majority of the players we need, but we are not making the most of what we have.

The way I heard things just before kick off Eric seemed to infer that others are waiting to take over at a bargain basement price. Surely if the right buyer comes along they will have excess cash for players and to entice Wayne to stay.

Maybe I've still got my rose tinted specs on but we still have grounds for cautious optimism.

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

We do need some new players but under ffp even if the owner has the available funds, we’re not allowed to spend it (unless income exceeds costs by several millions per annum).

we had wages >40m. Income @30m, so the financial landscape has to shift significantly before we can go on a bit of a spending spree. I sometimes wonder whether the managers understand this. Even Frank admitted he had no idea of the financial implications of ffp prior to his arrival. 

apart from one or two obvious  gaps, we have the majority of the players we need, but we are not making the most of what we have.

Do you really think the current squad is decent? Other than Bielik and Clarke I think it is bang average ?

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

That wage bill was for the 17/18 season. Even using pessimistic estimations for wages, the wage bill has to have dropped below £30m. Using more realistic estimations we'd be in the £20-25m mark. There were suggestions of Mel needing £2m a month to pay the players for the rest of the season which backs this up.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Maybe it's those one or two additions we need which will transform the team from fairly average to being a playoff contender?  We've seen the difference Bielik makes.

Similar to 13/14 when the additions of Eustace and Martin made a big difference?

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Do you really think the current squad is decent? Other than Bielik and Clarke I think it is bang average ?

I can honestly say that I wouldn’t bat an eyelid over half a dozen departures of senior pros 
but I think we still have some good players. 

byrne, Buchanan, knight, sibley, shinnie, bielik, bird, Watson, jozwiak, CKR 

Plus McDonald, ebosele, Wilson, Mitchell-Lawson, hutchinson, stretton.....maybe even one or two more such as foster, shonibare and Archie brown. They might be better than we think.

Some are lightweight. Many of them are unknowns as we have never really tried them. Who had really considered Louie Watson as an option until recently?
We are lacking in various departments, and have been for years. We are crying out for proper wingers, a striker, and central defenders but ffp now prohibits major spending so we have to give these kids a chance.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That wage bill was for the 17/18 season. Even using pessimistic estimations for wages, the wage bill has to have dropped below £30m. Using more realistic estimations we'd be in the £20-25m mark. There were suggestions of Mel needing £2m a month to pay the players for the rest of the season which backs this up.

Maybe it's those one or two additions we need which will transform the team from fairly average to being a playoff contender?  We've seen the difference Bielik makes.

Similar to 13/14 when the additions of Eustace and Martin made a big difference?

I would hope we have the wages down to that level, but a spending spree could send it back up again.

If we keep the wages at that level then we could afford to buy a few well chosen players. 
(but not another daft spending spree)

Lack of proper backing, he'll walk whilst he has a good name for saving us this season.

Stability and enough backing to be competetive (the budget is somewhere in the 12-8th region) I think he'll stay a season. Beyond that? Unless he becomes obbsessed by a play off run next season I doubt it, do badly we'll sack him, do well he'll be poached, do just about OK we'll porbably sack him anyway.

It's the way of the game, summer 2022 I'll be shocked if Rooney is still here. But then again, he might start to channel his inner Nigel Clough.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I would say that we have a mid championship squad, with none of them showing anything this or last season that would say they are anything but championship players at best.

If you were a manager of one of the top teams and had your pick of any of the Derby players to trade for one of your own 11, I wouldn't be surprised if they passed on all of them. 

Having said that, this majority of the league is poor, a good manager can turn that mid league side into play off contenders, as Warnock has shown countless times over the years.

Archived