Whacking a ball round a field

BaaLocks

Thought this forum could do with a golf thread - professional and recreational. I'll start with the professional, Arnold Palmer Invitational is warming up nicely. Lee Westwood goes in as the only player to have held a lead at the 54 hole mark in the 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s. Often the nearly man, no less so than at Augusta, he's in prime position to win this one. Even though he's more Notts than Kenny Burns I do like the bloke, has his girlfriend caddy for him and won the European Tour Race to Dubai when many golfers have already bought the pub and boring locals with their endless stories of nearly.

But I fancy Jordan Speith tonight, he's threatened a lot recently and looks to be moving in the right direction. Though I would love it if Lee won - he's a good lad even if he is a bit misguided on his choice of football team.

2 hours ago, Rev said:

What about Bryson DeChambreu very nearly driving the green on a par 5?

I feel sorry for his playing partner, having to go the long way around.

Few players, Rory included, just cutting the corners off dog legs now - I'm not a fan of redesigning courses or equipment to hamper there ability to do so, that's a bit like saying we're going to make the goal smaller coz players are better free kick takers now.

There is something not quite likeable about DeChambeau, bit like Mickleson I just keep wishing them to blow up.

10 hours ago, Rev said:

What about Bryson DeChambreu very nearly driving the green on a par 5?

I feel sorry for his playing partner, having to go the long way around.

Westwood DeChambeau was a fascinating contest. Must say I thought Lee’s matchplay experience might win the day but not to be. I like Bryson though, he’s bonkers 

11 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Westwood DeChambeau was a fascinating contest. Must say I thought Lee’s matchplay experience might win the day but not to be. I like Bryson though, he’s bonkers 

Yeah, he is one of those that you can't help but appreciate for taking a completely different angle (often literally) to playing the game. Another one for Lee to add to his ever growing list of 'if I'd holed two more putts'.

On 08/03/2021 at 10:59, BaaLocks said:

Yeah, he is one of those that you can't help but appreciate for taking a completely different angle (often literally) to playing the game. Another one for Lee to add to his ever growing list of 'if I'd holed two more putts'.

Same line up tomorrow! Westwood misreading some puts. Was thinking it might not help that his girlfriend is on his bag 

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Same line up tomorrow! Westwood misreading some puts. Was thinking it might not help that his girlfriend is on his bag 

It just shows the beauty of the game, you couldn't have two more different styles yet they are again in pole position on the final day. It's like that clip of DeChambeau driving the lake last week. What people forgot was that Lee went the long way round and they both ended up with birdie.

Did you see the Korean who took an 11 at the 17th on day one? His reaction when he got it on the green on day two was priceless.

8 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It just shows the beauty of the game, you couldn't have two more different styles yet they are again in pole position on the final day. It's like that clip of DeChambeau driving the lake last week. What people forgot was that Lee went the long way round and they both ended up with birdie.

Did you see the Korean who took an 11 at the 17th on day one? His reaction when he got it on the green on day two was priceless.

DeChambeau is making as many tweaks to his golf swing as Rooney makes to his team sheet with the same dismal consequences 

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’ve had a tenner on Matsuyama for the last 4 majors he’s played in, convinced he’s got one in him. Didn’t do it this time for some reason. Will have very mixed feelings if he wins 

Yeah, he's been a good outside punt for a while. Still wide open, Greg Norman can tell a couple of stories on what can happen to a final round lead in the Masters.

On 11/04/2021 at 00:00, kevinhectoring said:

I’ve had a tenner on Matsuyama for the last 4 majors he’s played in, convinced he’s got one in him. Didn’t do it this time for some reason. Will have very mixed feelings if he wins 

You're not alone....

image.thumb.png.6769bbdd071663d34b984aee5e1a6187.png

• 1 month later...

Go Phil Mickelson - I think a bit like Lee Westwood earlier in the season he won't carry it over four rounds but what a show. I know he looks quite punchable but Phil does always look like he's having fund, certainly more often than I do at my place of work.

Edited by BaaLocks

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Go Phil Mickelson - I think a bit like Lee Westwood earlier in the season he won't carry it over four rounds but what a show. I know he looks quite punchable but Phil does always look like he's having fund, certainly more often than I do at my place of work.

It was fun watching it this evening. I agree that I don’t think he will but I’ll be happy if he does pull it out tomorrow.