Whacking a ball round a field

BaaLocks

What Cam Smith did yesterday is a thing of absolute legend - five birdies in a row is just insane. Hard to be too tough on Rory, he went round in under par every round but he was five and six shots of the two Cams on the last day, and you can't be that far off and expect to win. @kevinhectoring is right, it was the putting that made the difference but I think it's also fair to have history say that it was the number one putter on the tour, Cam Smith, that did it rather than Rory fluffed his lines.

For me, shot of the day was Cam Young on 18, to eagle it after nothing had been happening much all day, rookie in your first Open, leapfrog into second. Wow!

5 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

What Cam Smith did yesterday is a thing of absolute legend - five birdies in a row is just insane. Hard to be too tough on Rory, he went round in under par every round but he was five and six shots of the two Cams on the last day, and you can't be that far off and expect to win. @kevinhectoring is right, it was the putting that made the difference but I think it's also fair to have history say that it was the number one putter on the tour, Cam Smith, that did it rather than Rory fluffed his lines.

For me, shot of the day was Cam Young on 18, to eagle it after nothing had been happening much all day, rookie in your first Open, leapfrog into second. Wow!

Zero criticism of Rory. He went well in 2-under, no dropped shots and shot 18-under for the week, a score which 9 times out of 10, wins IMO.

I haven't seen any criticism of Rory in the press to be fair, but it would be so British to criticise the player who comes third who has had a terrific season and been competitive in every tournament, yet not criticise the other 135 players or so who finished behind Rory as well. 

Smith was just sensational - two rounds of 8 under I think just shows how he is such a good player. The up and down on 17th hole followed by the birdie on 18 under that pressure - amazing.

I was also on him at 25/1. ?