The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

Just now, Angry Ram said:

It was just an example, I didn’t check. Okay let’s say via South Georgia ??‍♂️

I am sure there is some route somewhere yes, but I would expect that the majority of people will have neither the time or funds to do that. 

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They are the same media who persuaded the population to give the Tories a landslide. Can't have it both ways.

Anyway, this caught my attention earlier...

614807989_dangerousculttypo.thumb.jpg.1c5508d748e0bdc44bace975d268725d.jpg

Even if the media did heavily influence BJ getting to power (which I don't really believe they did) I am not sure why that would preclude me from having a negative view on how they have reported throughout the pandemic?

7 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

I am sure there is some route somewhere yes, but I would expect that the majority of people will have neither the time or funds to do that. 

No, probably not but if you have a pressing enough reason then you can.

143D20DF-4C5D-4174-BBD9-41FD56135720.jpeg

46 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

I'm not sure you could even fly to faro? haven't they also banned travel from India etc

I'm sure he was just using Faro as an example.

Before Turkey joined the red list, Istanbul hotels were doing a roaring trade in travellers laying up there for 10 days from red list countries, before flying into the UK. 

A tenth of the price of quarantine, and little local restrictions.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Even if the media did heavily influence BJ getting to power (which I don't really believe they did) I am not sure why that would preclude me from having a negative view on how they have reported throughout the pandemic?

I do agree that sensationalist reporting has been very over the top, and any doubts and hesitancy from one scientific group or other has been akin to a drop of blood in shark-infested waters.

It doesn't really matter to the mainstream media whether the story of the day is pro-lockdown or anti-lockdown - the one* thing that you can be sure of is a lack of objectivity and an excess of subjectivity because emotive stories sell and factual stories don't grab the attention.

* ok, two things

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Genuinely believe there will be mass protests if we don’t fully open up on 21st June.

Hospitalisations are steady, cases are low (but as a lot of restrictions have opened up a small rise is expected) and the vaccine role out is progressing at 600k jabs a day.

I am sat in a pub garden and being served outdoors by a member of staff wearing a full visor. How ridiculous is that?

Whilst we keep daily reporting of the numbers and print everything SAGE keep warning about instead of looking at their performance history, the hysteria will remain.

People need to start getting on with it - like a number of US States have done and shown life continues as normal doing the things we like doing!

Did you enquire after the health and jab status of the person serving you? They might have no protection other than that visor.

What is ridiculous is the increasing need of people to voice their opinions based only on their own personal circumstances. It’s almost like everyone has been living in a bubble for over a year.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The media and scientists. 

Every time anything happens they are scratching around for the latest 'expert scientist' who will give them their doom mongering view.

Its interesting that other scientists, with the same qualifications but the opposite view would be referred to as 'fringe scientists' rather than experts.

The media want the lockdown re-opening putting back purely so they can rip into the Government with 'but you promised we would scrap all measures on June 21st' type questions. 

Absolute vermin. 

You really don't like the media do you. Just imagine if a journalist became Primeminister one day! You must shudder at the thought.

And not any old journalist. One who had been sacked from The Times for lying. And not just any old MP. One who had been sacked from the shadow cabinet for lying.

A scary thought.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Erm, Johnson himself was literally part of the media!

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

I am sat in a pub garden and being served outdoors by a member of staff wearing a full visor. How ridiculous is that?

I have to rely more and more upon lipreading and gauging expressions, especially because it is now more than two years since my last 'annual' audiology test and hearing aid assessment.. I applaud the wearing of visors because they make life so much easier for those who are hard of hearing.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

If you land at T3 from a red country, then yes. I’ve seen the coaches loading up,

My mate is coming in from Dubai this week for a £1,750 Ramada city break. Guess he won't be spending much else so otherwise a cheap 10 days!

I'll ask him how it's all operating, surely they must have it sorted by now. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I have to rely more and more upon lipreading and gauging expressions, especially because it is now more than two years since my last 'annual' audiology test and hearing aid assessment.. I applaud the wearing of visors because they make life so much easier for those who are hard of hearing.

I mis-read 'annual' as 'anal' the first time!

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Every cloud.

My wife is doing a course that has been online this year, but they are going into the college from next week.

One lady preferred the course to carry on online though. She has refused the vaccine (some spurious "Christian" reason) but as she has asthma, she is a bit worried of catching Covid.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

My wife is doing a course that has been online this year, but they are going into the college from next week.

One lady preferred the course to carry on online though. She has refused the vaccine (some spurious "Christian" reason) but as she has asthma, she is a bit worried of catching Covid.

One of today's NewsThump 'stories'...

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You really don't like the media do you. Just imagine if a journalist became Primeminister one day! You must shudder at the thought.

And not any old journalist. One who had been sacked from The Times for lying. And not just any old MP. One who had been sacked from the shadow cabinet for lying.

A scary thought.

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Erm, Johnson himself was literally part of the media!

Going off topic.