Arthur Cox’s Reign

Arsene Titman

10 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

The away turnouts in the 86/7 season were awesome. Remember driving to Brighton and once again, the away terrace in a corner was rammed. Think we won 1 0. Was back in Derbyshire by 8.00, not sure quite how. Also remember missing so many kick offs for away games, for the misguided "I think we've got time for one more pint" problem. We never learned.

Great season.

Think we had every weather system going that day , open terrace as well , Phil Gee got the winner i think

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

The away turnouts in the 86/7 season were awesome. Remember driving to Brighton and once again, the away terrace in a corner was rammed. Think we won 1 0. Was back in Derbyshire by 8.00, not sure quite how. Also remember missing so many kick offs for away games, for the misguided "I think we've got time for one more pint" problem. We never learned.

Great season.

Not just that season, most of the Arthur away days were great, remember the old door at York station hanging off the hinges when we left the station the season before. Oxford away bizarrely stands out only because my mate had to have thorns removed from his neck by St Johns in the ground. Those Div 3 and 2 away days were barmy, daft lad drunk days, like we took over certain places.

Getting to Div 1 still produced memorable trips. The best thing about Cox teams was no fear, we could turn up anywhere and get a result and played like it at times; which probably explained the odd reverse every now and again.

27 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Great season.

Some of the away trips that season were as good as any games I have ever been to..... Brighton as you said, rained so much, all out fans climbing on to the floodlights to see, Shrewsbury away crammed into that tiny terrace with the lads in the seats to our left singing "C Stand" all the way through the second half, Hull away was the first time I ever saw any sort of "tout" in my life, selling tickets for the home end as the away end was already full, i also bought a Rangers/Derby hat that day!! 

The best season.

27 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Just thought.....what about the Portsmouth at home game....with the riots.! now THAT was a night..

That was the night they thought they'd go and tackle Derbys top lads in an arcade and a couple of indian restaurants on Normanton Road where they were sure to be found.  Danger Danger, High Voltage.

6 hours ago, hiltonram said:

I believe when we finished fifth under Arthur that we would have had a good chance of becoming champions again the next season if Kubic and Knoflecheck had joined us. Anyway great to have lived in Derby during the eighties, what with going to the baseball ground, the pink coconut, pubs and clubs and the music. Even the cricket was great with Derbyshire winning the Nat West cup, what a great day at Lords that was and the sunday league games with the crowd singing from the granstand end, what a great era. Bring back the eighties.

I would put Arthur up there along side the best managers we have ever had.

I still have a photo from the Derby Telegraph taken with Kubic and knoflechec with my son and some other kids at the assembly rooms

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Some of the away trips that season were as good as any games I have ever been to..... Brighton as you said, rained so much, all out fans climbing on to the floodlights to see, Shrewsbury away crammed into that tiny terrace with the lads in the seats to our left singing "C Stand" all the way through the second half, Hull away was the first time I ever saw any sort of "tout" in my life, selling tickets for the home end as the away end was already full, i also bought a Rangers/Derby hat that day!! 

The best season.

Was at the Hull away game. Radio 5 even mentioned the massive away following from the Rams. 

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Think we had every weather system going that day , open terrace as well , Phil Gee got the winner i think

Was there. It snowed. There had been a big ferry disaster that day I seem to recall. I travelled down from London by train. Unfortunately I had forgotten to take my glasses and so could hardly see a thing. Phil Gee did get the winner?

12 hours ago, Jayram said:

Definitely my favourite time as a Rams fan. I just remember being very proud of my team as they tore through the division. Oddly my favourite memory of the season was when we beat Oldham 4-1 away in the January. They had beaten us at home on the opening day (our only home defeat of the season) and were a strong side yet we absolutely battered them, and that was when I really started to believe we had what it took to go all the way to Division 1. Brilliant days.

I was with my brother the day of the Oldham game, he is a Saints fan and with both of us living in London we went to see them at QPR. The Rams game was a big game, featured on the radio I think. Remember hearing a Saints fan behind me say Crikey, it’s Oldham 0 Derby 3 during the first half......great memories ?

On 21/02/2021 at 11:48, ziggyram59 said:

Mackay had the basis of the team there to win 2nd League Championship, Cox took us from the depths of division 3 to division 1 in under 3 seasons with some fantastic signings. 

Both great  Arthur took us from a laughing stock, and if backed at a certain point would probably have got us on the European trail again. Mackay unfairly looked on by some as just taking over Cloughies team Franny Lee, Rioch, King Charlie, say no more

8 hours ago, hiltonram said:

I believe when we finished fifth under Arthur that we would have had a good chance of becoming champions again the next season if Kubic and Knoflecheck had joined us. Anyway great to have lived in Derby during the eighties, what with going to the baseball ground, the pink coconut, pubs and clubs and the music. Even the cricket was great with Derbyshire winning the Nat West cup, what a great day at Lords that was and the sunday league games with the crowd singing from the granstand end, what a great era. Bring back the eighties.

I would put Arthur up there along side the best managers we have ever had.

When you could have a good booze up with mates, all stand together, and not have to get tickets.

Lords final great with loads of Rams fans and flags  there . Again Taverners bar just turning round for pints and eyes front watching the game Barry Wood if he could and he did

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

The best season.

Fantastic times. I remember being in the home end at Brighton as the away end was so full and Phil Gee getting the winner. Other memorable away trips included  Blackpool on the big terrace behind the goal and Notts County where we made up 9000 of a 13000 crowd. The noise in the station as I got of the train was deafening. Lots of flags in the crowd as promotion grew closer. 

28 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

I recall being in a large following at Ipswich. They skied a penalty at 0-0 then Bobby and Cally  did the biz in a 0-2 win and I think we went top for the first time . Proper scenes ??

It’s amazing how you remember silly little things from days so long ago.. that Ipswich game, was the same say as the grand National, which my mate won the coach sweep stake and I won the scratch off card thing they used to do so the day out cost us nothing..! And I believe that was the first time that the “scoring goals for Derby, Phillip Gee” song was heard..!

I can remember all that but have zero idea where I put my reading glasses half an hour ago...so apologies for any spelling mistakes. 

32 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

I recall being in a large following at Ipswich. They skied a penalty at 0-0 then Bobby and Cally  did the biz in a 0-2 win and I think we went top for the first time . Proper scenes ??

It was a second half commentary game on radio 2/radio 5 whichever it was. Remember it like yesterday. Great strike by Cally...

Archived