Arthur Cox’s Reign

Arsene Titman

4 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It’s amazing how you remember silly little things from days so long ago.. that Ipswich game, was the same say as the grand National, which my mate won the coach sweep stake and I won the scratch off card thing they used to do so the day out cost us nothing..! And I believe that was the first time that the “scoring goals for Derby, Phillip Gee” song was heard..!

I can remember all that but have zero idea where I put my reading glasses half an hour ago...so apologies for any spelling mistakes. 

Same ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great memories. Singing ‘Portsmouth are losing’ just minutes before Phil Gee scored at Sheff Utd. Rob Hindmarch scoring at Sheff Utd the year before in the cup - another time we had more inside the ground than they did. 
The players running round Allestree golf course (sign the petition-see other sports thread) during pre season training, Andy Garner and Rob Hindmarch playing tennis at Chester Green - realising they weren’t quite as slow as they looked on the pitch.

That Friday night against Rotherham. Shilton’s one man show at Newcastle. Seven against Telford and five against Crewe in the next game. The parachutist missing the ground at Elm Park - a rare disappointment of an away day. Mickle, Mickle, Micklewhite. George Williams scrapping on the goal line at Stoke.

Goddard’s chip against Everton. Deano’s debut. Phil Gee ‘screamer’ against Arsenal. Great days.Great team. And as someone has said, wake up the day of the game and fancy it, head off without a ticket, meet your mats behind the goal -  no weeks of planning or organisation. Just the match. No wonder so many of  us on here are miserable now!!

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Just thought.....what about the Portsmouth at home game....with the riots.! now THAT was a night..

5 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Didn't the Pompey fans wander into the "wrong" part of town?

4 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That was the night they thought they'd go and tackle Derbys top lads in an arcade and a couple of indian restaurants on Normanton Road where they were sure to be found.  Danger Danger, High Voltage.

Loads of rumours about that night I seem to recall. A group of black lads thought it was DLF types having a go but it was Pompey wandering the streets, all a bit chaotic and it was a bit tense round Derby for a bit.

10 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to pull you up there. I worked for the club at that time and can assure you that Shilton, while very well paid of course, earned no more at Derby than he had at Southampton. His signing on fee was a top-of-the-range BMW 7-series - the equivalent of about £100k today. It is true that he had a family home in North Leicestershire, and that may have been a factor in picking Derby ahead of any other suitors, but his pay was just the going rate. After all, he was the incumbent record-breaking England goalkeeper and did play magnificently well for at least the first three years of his stay with Derby. His season before the 1990 World Cup (where he was a semi-finalist) was exceptionally good.

Derby outbid two other clubs to sign Saunders; no other club was prepared to pay a seven-figure sum for him and Oxford were touting him around to all and sundry.

I always suspected Maxwell's death was faked ?

2 hours ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Fantastic times. I remember being in the home end at Brighton as the away end was so full and Phil Gee getting the winner. Other memorable away trips included  Blackpool on the big terrace behind the goal and Notts County where we made up 9000 of a 13000 crowd. The noise in the station as I got of the train was deafening. Lots of flags in the crowd as promotion grew closer. 

The Blackpool match was immense, full day out that was.

Got back to Utch a bit worse for wear and headed home. Playing football Sunday morning and all the talk was about the Derby mob who smashed up our little town.

A load of Derby had stopped in Uttoxeter and took apart a couple of pubs and several local Stokies got knocked about a bit.

Slept through it like a baby! Not very popular with the chip eaters for a bit but hey ho. ?

14 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Loads of rumours about that night I seem to recall. A group of black lads thought it was DLF types having a go but it was Pompey wandering the streets, all a bit chaotic and it was a bit tense round Derby for a bit.

image.thumb.png.24eb93ca19897202d37b929bb1aee1c6.png

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/nostalgia/rioting-football-fans-brought-terror-1393465

19 hours ago, Spanish said:

what happened at the end?  Maybe wrong but didn't he have back problems and then not get involved in the club until he resigned due to ill health.  Went on to be #2 for Keegan with a London club and England.  I might be wrong but there is something niggling at me that it was all a bit suspicious

Yes I agree, it was suspicious, I think he felt it was time to go. The thing I would love to ask him is why when he had such good balanced teams that took Derby all the way from third division to fifth in the first division and then went and brought in Kitson, Johnson and Gabbiadini and tried to play them all at the same time but it never worked, what was his thinking.

12 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Great memories. Singing ‘Portsmouth are losing’ just minutes before Phil Gee scored at Sheff Utd. Rob Hindmarch scoring at Sheff Utd the year before in the cup - another time we had more inside the ground than they did. 
The players running round Allestree golf course (sign the petition-see other sports thread) during pre season training, Andy Garner and Rob Hindmarch playing tennis at Chester Green - realising they weren’t quite as slow as they looked on the pitch.

That Friday night against Rotherham. Shilton’s one man show at Newcastle. Seven against Telford and five against Crewe in the next game. The parachutist missing the ground at Elm Park - a rare disappointment of an away day. Mickle, Mickle, Micklewhite. George Williams scrapping on the goal line at Stoke.

Goddard’s chip against Everton. Deano’s debut. Phil Gee ‘screamer’ against Arsenal. Great days.Great team. And as someone has said, wake up the day of the game and fancy it, head off without a ticket, meet your mats behind the goal -  no weeks of planning or organisation. Just the match. No wonder so many of  us on here are miserable now!!

Some great memories there mate, George taking on the Stoke defence on the goal line was brilliant , couple of sly digs from John Gregory as well i seem to remember

27 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

Yes I agree, it was suspicious, I think he felt it was time to go. The thing I would love to ask him is why when he had such good balanced teams that took Derby all the way from third division to fifth in the first division and then went and brought in Kitson, Johnson and Gabbiadini and tried to play them all at the same time but it never worked, what was his thinking.

maybe best person to ask is Roy Mac (not @RoyMac5 though, or maybe he is roy mac?)

22 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Some great memories there mate, George taking on the Stoke defence on the goal line was brilliant , couple of sly digs from John Gregory as well i seem to remember

Gregory’s tackle leading to Gee’s wonderful goal against Leeds in the video above is pretty tasty too. He could certainly handle himself.

That Stoke game lives on in my head. Seem to remember it kicked off in the seats as both Derby and Stoke were in the upper tier. Also the fatty in the pink on the terrace to the right hand side. Merciless and relentless chanting winding him up. Vivid memories. Can’t remember anything about this season however. 

49 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Gregory’s tackle leading to Gee’s wonderful goal against Leeds in the video above is pretty tasty too. He could certainly handle himself.

That Stoke game lives on in my head. Seem to remember it kicked off in the seats as both Derby and Stoke were in the upper tier. Also the fatty in the pink on the terrace to the right hand side. Merciless and relentless chanting winding him up. Vivid memories. Can’t remember anything about this season however. 

yes mate , didnt fatty in the pink end up in the holding cells underneath the stand eventually?

53 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Went to away games that season on the football specials run by trent buses from the bus station in Derby, went to that particular game on a double decker that didnt get above 30mph or so it seemed , with the red hot atmosphere in the ground we did wonder if we would get out of the potteries alive on that contraption

5 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Right behind goal at stoke for the mass scrum on goal line, think it was George Berry? Stokes giant defender in middle of it, mind you'd steer clear of him for next 10 minutes!

Yeah Stokies away to the right fought with police most of the game. Brilliant away days.

The speed and skill of footballers now is incredible, helped by bowling green pitches, but is the actual going to the game better? I dont think so, but could be an age thing, harking back to your younger days  COYR

Archived