Arthur Cox’s Reign

Arsene Titman

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything just floods back reading that, the atmosphere, the away days, the tension of clawing our way out of Division 3 followed by the orgasmic dominance of Division 2......for those of us who had seen the best and worst of times, King Arthur put us right back up there.

Brilliant, my favourite seasons, the question is asked “where has the game gone ?” It makes you wonder ! When you think it was thirty five years ago and most of us who were there in those days can recall those seasons instantly it’s because of the enjoyment and the excitement of every game, The pre match routines of a few beers in the various pubs dotted around the ground, the walk up to the baseball ground, the rising noise levels as you approached, the smell and the sounds, the knackered stands, the fencing, the surges in the pop side when we scored, the camaraderie with the players on the pitch, the effort levels set at maximum, the chants of ee I ee I ee I o, up the football league we go ! Arthur give us a wave ! Great days to be a ram ! I’m lucky enough to have Phil Gee and Bobby Davison’s shirts and also one of the second division championship medals to remember it by if the grey matter starts to fail but at this moment I can remember that era far more clearly than the present era !

629AFC0B-B614-4316-9A59-F3B254F0506D.jpeg

Cox took over the club when we were literally at rock bottom and made up of mainly of journeymen, he was our ninth manager in eleven years, he did have a couple of gems in the team, Bobby Davison who he switched from number 8 to number 9 whose goals dragged us through those years and solid reliable ever present defender Steve Buckley, in the January window he added Williams, micklewhite, Christie, Sutton and had introduced Harbey and Blades from the reserve team and finished in 7th place at the end of that first season the centenary 84/85 and had stopped the free fall, the following season he added hindmarch and the two McClarens, gregory and Phil Gee and his team got out of division three, the final two pieces of that jigsaw  cally and Brucie Forsyth were added and the took division two by storming the 86/87 season as champions ! Put together pretty much on a shoestring, that’s why he deserves the credit, Dave McKay was good but had a great team of internationals and at the top of their game, eight of them had played in the previous championship team, he had money to add the likes of Charlie George and Francis Lee to strengthen but instead the team fell apart, some may say he should have done better ? Cox was a genuine old school motivator and team builder, he had some quirks but so do most successful managers ! Great days !

My first season as a paying Rams fan was the season before when we got relegated.  The team and football we played under Cox were some of the best times I've had following Derby, honest hard working lads with a flash of brilliance about them. 

It was great to see Phil Gee do well at Derby too, I'd seen him a few times at Gresley Rovers which was a regular haunt in my early teenage years lol.  Happy times!

2 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Brilliant, my favourite seasons, the question is asked “where has the game gone ?” It makes you wonder ! When you think it was thirty five years ago and most of us who were there in those days can recall those seasons instantly it’s because of the enjoyment and the excitement of every game, The pre match routines of a few beers in the various pubs dotted around the ground, the walk up to the baseball ground, the rising noise levels as you approached, the smell and the sounds, the knackered stands, the fencing, the surges in the pop side when we scored, the camaraderie with the players on the pitch, the effort levels set at maximum, the chants of ee I ee I ee I o, up the football league we go ! Arthur give us a wave ! Great days to be a ram ! I’m lucky enough to have Phil Gee and Bobby Davison’s shirts and also one of the second division championship medals to remember it by if the grey matter starts to fail but at this moment I can remember that era far more clearly than the present era !

629AFC0B-B614-4316-9A59-F3B254F0506D.jpeg

How did you get the medal?

Arthur just pips Jim Smith for me.

He won two promotions and ended up 5th in the top division.

dean Saunders and Mark wright were great. The decline only kicked in because we were starved of investment.

Cracking time to be a rams supporter, in division 2 we won more away games than ever before, going to Oldham, on the plastic pich and winning 4-1, was the day i knew we was going up, and Sheff United away 10000 seeing Gee put the ball through the keepers legs the away end went metal, that was one of the best away days of my life, then when we went up, Mr Cox bought in players like Mcminn, Shilton, Wright, Goddard and Saunders, now they where the best days of my footballing life watching that team play. Hope these times come back soon. 

40 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Cracking time to be a rams supporter, in division 2 we won more away games than ever before, going to Oldham, on the plastic pich and winning 4-1, was the day i knew we was going up, and Sheff United away 10000 seeing Gee put the ball through the keepers legs the away end went metal, that was one of the best away days of my life, then when we went up, Mr Cox bought in players like Mcminn, Shilton, Wright, Goddard and Saunders, now they where the best days of my footballing life watching that team play. Hope these times come back soon. 

Took that quite personal did John Burridge.  Gee was playing against Southampton a couple of years later and had long forgotten who was in goal that day, until Burridge cleaned him out and started shouting in his face about embarrassing him and how he wouldn't put the ball through his effing legs again.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Took that quite personal did John Burridge.  Gee was playing against Southampton a couple of years later and had long forgotten who was in goal that day, until Burridge cleaned him out and started shouting in his face about embarrassing him and how he wouldn't put the ball through his effing legs again.

Was going to say that I thought it was Burridge - played a handful of games for us and had "more clubs than Jack Nicklaus". Was certainly a "character" was Budgie.

Archived