Gambling Shirt Sponsor Ban

Day

It’s not so much about how it makes us feel when we see an ad, I don’t think, most of us are self controlled individuals, well gamble if we want to, we won’t if we don’t. There are a few who will be influenced by the ads, but I don’t think it’s even about them.

it’s more about the kids, I think. Like my kids barely know what a cigarette is now. Not being able to see them in the shops helps, as does the lack of advertising etc. There’s nothing about them that would make them want to actively go out and seek a cigarette. By gradually reducing the amount of advertising, and then things like the smoking ban etc, it looses its grip on the public consciousness. It doesn’t disappear, people that want to do it still can, but lots and lots of different initiatives have all worked together to seriously reduce the amount of people smoking and the amount of people wanting to start smoking. Eventually, after a couple of older generations die off, there will be no one left smoking. That’s got to be a good thing. We’re essentially reversing a mistake that was made when smoking was popularised in the first place, with no real knowledge of the consequences (and then I could go off on a similar rant about global warming). 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sith Happens said:

This thread is where I'd like to read mafiabob opinion,  from memory he was a big proponent of personal responsibility.

Requested to close his account. I'm still oblivious as to what I did, but hey ho. I don't think he would disagree with anything said in here, as you say he was big on personal responsibility and a big reason why he clashed with the anti gambling side. 

What does surprise me is the replies to these tweets on social media, the majority of replies I have seen are in favour of the ban, I'm not sure if they believe it would genuinely help those with gambling addictions, or if it's a simple I don't like gambling sponsors ruining the look of my shirt.

Some are pretty garish I agree, but ours I feel actually ties in with the shirt quite nicely as oppose to say Just Eat....advertising take away food when we have people struggling with obesity...where does it end.

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s not so much about how it makes us feel when we see an ad, I don’t think, most of us are self controlled individuals, well gamble if we want to, we won’t if we don’t. There are a few who will be influenced by the ads, but I don’t think it’s even about them.

it’s more about the kids, I think. Like my kids barely know what a cigarette is now. Not being able to see them in the shops helps, as does the lack of advertising etc. There’s nothing about them that would make them want to actively go out and seek a cigarette. By gradually reducing the amount of advertising, and then things like the smoking ban etc, it looses its grip on the public consciousness. It doesn’t disappear, people that want to do it still can, but lots and lots of different initiatives have all worked together to seriously reduce the amount of people smoking and the amount of people wanting to start smoking. Eventually, after a couple of older generations die off, there will be no one left smoking. That’s got to be a good thing. We’re essentially reversing a mistake that was made when smoking was popularised in the first place, with no real knowledge of the consequences (and then I could go off on a similar rant about global warming). 

I'm not sure on the cigarettes front. I work in an office (normally) with a range of ages and by far the highest percentage of smokers is those aged 18-25.

The only significant thing I think that has happened since the time they decided to smoke is that they are hidden from view in shops,  the smoking ban and most advertising bans were from before they would have been an age to let it influence them.

But I hope you are right and cigarettes become a thing of the past. 

Think it’s probably the right move to be honest. Probably not going to do anything to help those who already have an addiction, but there’s lots of kids watching football as well. With gambling plastered everywhere across the game - on shirts, advertising boards, on the TV etc, it’s quite conceivable that you’re getting future addicts into gambling who might not have started down that path if it wasn’t for the amount of advertising that’s out there. Clearly there will still be plenty of advertising elsewhere, so this isn’t going to stop gambling addictions forever, but it’s a decent step in the right direction imo.

19 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think it’s probably the right move to be honest. Probably not going to do anything to help those who already have an addiction, but there’s lots of kids watching football as well. With gambling plastered everywhere across the game - on shirts, advertising boards, on the TV etc, it’s quite conceivable that you’re getting future addicts into gambling who might not have started down that path if it wasn’t for the amount of advertising that’s out there. Clearly there will still be plenty of advertising elsewhere, so this isn’t going to stop gambling addictions forever, but it’s a decent step in the right direction imo.

As a young fan yourself, do you feel like you have been influenced at all by anything you have seen on a football shirt. Did Bombardier make you want to build a train for example?

10 minutes ago, David said:

As a young fan yourself, do you feel like you have been influenced at all by anything you have seen on a football shirt. Did Bombardier make you want to build a train for example?

It stirred something in me, I don’t mind telling you.

1 hour ago, David said:

It’s not about making you see it and instantly go do it though. It’s about raising awareness, keeping it in the public eye. On this thread we’ve mentioned several shirts that we remember based on the shirt sponsor more than the design. 

I remember the Candy Liverpool shirt for the 80s. I have no idea what Candy is, but I remember the name. 

If the name isn’t on the shirt, I’d never know. It’s just one part of a larger marketing campaign.

why do coke spending so much on marketing. Who’s never heard of coke, by now, surely they can give it a rest now. But if they did that, they’d gradually fade away.

it’s all part of a bigger strategy, you take one part of that strategy away, and it has an impact.   

Just now, David said:

It’s the odd and evens that can confuse

True and pick a number. 

Personally gambled all my life, Vegas umpteen times, yet bar the lottery I don't bet on a regular basis.

Shirt sponsorship obviously works, otherwise they won't do it, will it stop an addict by banning it no, but in a sport that so many kids are interested in, I can see why they want to ban it.

18 minutes ago, David said:

No, they give us money instead of giving it the government 

Ok, in this case. If however as many are saying it doesn't work in the advertising sense, all they are doing is taking money from the tax man and giving it to a football club. Great news for the club, but not so good for the hospitals etc. I'm sure they do feel that they are getting some benefit but the general consensus on here seems to be that they aren't.

16 hours ago, David said:

Tax write off

I have never heard of marketing and avertising execs pushing their services on the back of tax write offs, brand awareness, market position/differentiation, yes. For a start, if there is a tax write off it will not be 100% (I am no accountant btw), I would be very surprised if it is on a par with tax donations. The problem here the gambling brand is a bit more toxic than say Bombardier.  Advertising is a crafty art, all about making you aware and subconscioustly want for something you did not think you needed (Apple latest toy ?) or may need in the future. I dont bet, but I bet that should I start, the first thing the execs at 32Red Bet365 eic... would want me to know is, we are happy to help.

When it comes to online advertising the whole concept and ideas behing marketing and advertising is turbocharged and taken to another level altogether, as they know so much more about their targets and are able to target us individually. 

For those of us without an adblocker, of course. ?

I remember watching the Ferraris go round and round on the TV emblazoned with Malboro when i was a child.. which cigarette company do you think got my cash when i was a student?

I support getting rid of all of the shirt sponsors and the TV adverts although potentially a plain advert (no live odds etc or animations) on advertising hoardings is OK.

Archived