Gambling Shirt Sponsor Ban

Day

There was talk the other day of Boris banning football shirt gambling sponsors, now Peter Shelton is campaigning for them to ban them.

Problem I have with this is, we’re in a global pandemic, clubs have already lost millions in revenue and to lose another lucrative revenue stream could destroy many clubs.

The response to this will be, what about the lives that gambling destroys, and it’s a fair point, but I do question and sponsors won’t like to hear this, but do they really encourage you to bet?

I haven’t opened a 32Red account, haven’t been tempted, have I been tempted and placed a bet with Bet365 following a half time next goalscorer bet, yeah I have.

Are the TV ads not more dangerous than a shirt just showing a logo?

Bingo ads that run throughout the day, Foxy bingo, sign up for free cards, poker stars. 

Can a carpet ban on all forms of gambling advertising be banned, is that fair?

What about other addictions such as alcohol, online shopping, both can destroy lives just as much?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should definitely ban shirt sponsors, and they will I am sure, but when they do the betting companies will find new ways to bombard the public with their product. 

in a few years time we will look back at the adverts and shirt sponsors like we look back in horror that we ever allowed tobacco companies to sponsor events  

however, after seeing that Shilton is spouting his mouth of about It, I may change my mind on the whole thing...last thing I want is to agree with him on anything. 

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s just like when they banned tabaco companies from sponsoring F1. It was a big deal at the time, but they found other sponsors, and now it seems totally normal. 

I'd be interested to know if that actually reduced the number of people smoking. 

I remember the john player special f1 car, the rothmans sponsored Williams and Rothmans Honda in motorcycle gp, Marlboro McClaren.

I never associated it with the products,  it was just the name of the team, If someone said Marlboro to me now I wouldn't think cigarettes id think f1 car.

I guess because I don't get influenced personally by sports sponsors it's easy for me to say we should all be responsible for their own actions, but its clear some people are easily influenced.

I can't understand all of this nanny state stuff. Like supermarkets have been forced to put fags behind closed doors in the kiosk.

Would love to know what effect that's had on tobacco sales. Like whenever I went to Asda and walked past the kiosk I thought about buying some fags as I saw them on display. If you apply the same logic then I'd be hiring an artic to do my shopping every week. 

12 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I'd be interested to know if that actually reduced the number of people smoking. 

I remember the john player special f1 car, the rothmans sponsored Williams and Rothmans Honda in motorcycle gp, Marlboro McClaren.

I never associated it with the products,  it was just the name of the team, If someone said Marlboro to me now I wouldn't think cigarettes id think f1 car.

I guess because I don't get influenced personally by sports sponsors it's easy for me to say we should all be responsible for their own actions, but its clear some people are easily influenced.

Almost went down this path myself, but felt I would be a long rant.

I remember my Dad wearing a Marlboro F1 t shirt, fake one from Spain, but never smoked in his life and I don’t recall thinking he’s walking around advertising smoking. 

Did the sponsorship ban see a reduction in smokers, or prevent others from taking it up?

Smoking, I always see it as a chain reaction, some start at school as their mates do, nicked parents fags, or it starts when you fancy trying one whilst on the lash with mates.

Smoking isn’t the type of thing I can see people just seeing an ad one day and thinking yeah, I’ll go buy a 20 deck. Maybe they did back in the day but not now.

Likewise with gambling, was my Dad that got me into it, help pick some teams on his acca, led to placing my own when I was old enough. 

You kinda need to know what you’re doing when placing a football bet or head to the roulette. 

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't care about gambling, but if the sponsorship is banned I'm sure something else will take up the opportunity.

I remember various Howells that sports would collapse if tobacco couldn't sponsor them.....

Alcohol.

Seen a few sponsors around, Everton had one, both Rangers and Celtic had Carling deals for a long time, Liverpool and Newcastle as well.

Derby are advertising a 0.0% Bavaria, becoming more popular with more releasing their 0% beers, feels wrong to call them that but can see a world where we have Heineken 0%, Budweiser 0% generation of football shirts.

58 minutes ago, David said:

This is where I first saw it by the way

Football shirts, but not TV ads on during footy matches. ?‍♂️

I'd argue the TV ads are more dangerous at encouraging excessive gambling.

Of course this government could never be accused of looking after their own rich mates... Could they?

3 minutes ago, David said:

Alcohol.

Seen a few sponsors around, Everton had one, both Rangers and Celtic had Carling deals for a long time, Liverpool and Newcastle as well.

Derby are advertising a 0.0% Bavaria, becoming more popular with more releasing their 0% beers, feels wrong to call them that but can see a world where we have Heineken 0%, Budweiser 0% generation of football shirts.

We've had alcohol as well with Marstons.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Almost went down this path myself, but felt I would be a long rant.

I remember my Dad wearing a Marlboro F1 t shirt, fake one from Spain, but never smoked in his life and I don’t recall thinking he’s walking around advertising smoking. 

Did the sponsorship ban see a reduction in smokers, or prevent others from taking it up?

Smoking, I always see it as a chain reaction, some start at school as their mates do, nicked parents fags, or it starts when you fancy trying one whilst on the lash with mates.

Smoking isn’t the type of thing I can see people just seeing an ad one day and thinking yeah, I’ll go buy a 20 deck. Maybe they did back in the day but not now.

Likewise with gambling, was my Dad that got me into it, help pick some teams on his acca, led to placing my own when I was old enough. 

You kinda need to know what you’re doing when placing a football bet or head to the roulette. 

I don't think they'd advertise if it didn't generate a return on investment.

I don't really have strong feelings either way, but I feel like the Ray Winstone Bet365 adverts in the early 2010s played a big part in creating the gambling culture around football. Maybe I'm showing my lack of age and it's something that's been around for yonks, but I wouldn't be surprised if those ads resulted in a big uptake in Saturday afternoon accas.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I don't really have strong feelings either way, but I feel like the Ray Winstone Bet365 adverts in the early 2010s played a big part in creating the gambling culture around football. Maybe I'm showing my lack of age and it's something that's been around for yonks, but I wouldn't be surprised if those ads resulted in a big uptake in Saturday afternoon accas.

Hope I’m right in saying this, but sponsorships are tax write offs. 

17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I agree but is it from advertising to people who already gamble? So let's say as a Derby fan I gamble, pre 32red I used another online company , but I decide to use 32red. So they get a return of course but the other company loses out?

How many people start gambling because of advertising ?

they might I don't know for sure I just know it wouldn't make me, but I might use them if it was something I was already doing. 

Archived