Use of substitutions

r4derby

Wayne Rooney seems to have followed in the Cocu way of thinking - a lack of using the substitutes bench. 

Now, this could be seen several ways. There's the phrase 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. There is also a lack of strength on the bench, and weakening the on field product could have a detrimental effect.

However, we have looked shattered after 70 minutes on more than one occasion this season, yet fail to get fresh legs on.

Is the lack of substitutes frustrating you? Or are you a fan of sticking with the team that has been selected? Will more quality on the bench mean more subs?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, r4derby said:

Wayne Rooney seems to have followed in the Cocu way of thinking - a lack of using the substitutes bench. 

Now, this could be seen several ways. There's the phrase 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. There is also a lack of strength on the bench, and weakening the on field product could have a detrimental effect.

However, we have looked shattered after 70 minutes on more than one occasion this season, yet fail to get fresh legs on.

Is the lack of substitutes frustrating you? Or are you a fan of sticking with the team that has been selected? Will more quality on the bench mean more subs?

making subs is no guarantee of improvement and as we have seen this season it can unsettle a side.  People moan about a manager's decisions based on hindsight and yet today he must have been right so why do you want to have a dig?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He put subs on didn't he?

If you put them on - look at the bench FFS - and it makes things worse, what will you say!!!

This is not based purely on this evenings game, Roy. But take this match if it helps.

Colin looked shattered after 70. He wasn't winning many balls after that, and the one he did he played back to a Bournemouth player. Are you telling me Waggy would have done less? I am also not downplaying Colin's effort to defend. He did that well, but made a couple of tired clearances. What about Bird? Calm and composed, could have helped. Sibley? Gordon for more legs going forward? Fozzy?

While none make you think "yes, here we go", those are all footballers and several on the bench have started games recently and performed.

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

making subs is no guarantee of improvement and as we have seen this season it can unsettle a side.  People moan about a manager's decisions based on hindsight and yet today he must have been right so why do you want to have a dig?

No dig. Wondering where people sit on the argument. I tried to pose the questions that way. 

My opinion, we could and maybe should make more subs. That also may be a mistake.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who?

Not Waghorn. 

Who?

The 2 players that came on have made 1 appearance between them this season. Fozzy has been praised for some of his performances. Bird is still developing, but has performed well at times. Sibley has an attacking impetus about him. Waggy can put a shift in. Whittaker, meh, but he's young.

Why not Waggy?

1 minute ago, r4derby said:

The 2 players that came on have made 1 appearance between them this season. Fozzy has been praised for some of his performances. Bird is still developing, but has performed well at times. Sibley has an attacking impetus about him. Waggy can put a shift in. Whittaker, meh, but he's young.

Why not Waggy?

Cos Waggy has done nowt.

So he bought MacDonald on - looked good. Then young winger who also looked okay.

What's your problem?

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Kazim was hobbling along barely able to walk for the last 20 minutes. Couldn't get anywhere near the ball and was giving us zero outlet up top. Just because we won the game doesn't mean he was right to leave a clearly exhausted player on the pitch. Kazim was doing nothing to help us at the end and Rooney needs to think more long term - you can't keep playing Kazim 90 minutes every game - he needs to think about the game after as well rather than running him into the ground every match

Just now, GenBr said:

Kazim was hobbling along barely able to walk for the last 20 minutes. Couldn't get anywhere near the ball and was giving us zero outlet up top. Just because we won the game doesn't mean he was right to leave a clearly exhausted player on the pitch. Kazim was doing nothing to help us at the end and Rooney needs to think more long term - you can't keep playing Kazim 90 minutes every game - he needs to think about the game after as well rather than running him into the ground every match

I hope Wayne reads your advice I am sure he would welcome it

He seems to be trying to blood as many youngsters as possible from the bench

Stretton

Whittaker

watson

gordon

hector-Ingram

bird

sibley

mcdonald

mitchell-Lawson

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I hope Wayne reads your advice I am sure he would welcome it

You can make sarcastic comments all you like. Why you think Wayne is infallible I have absolutely no idea, but he isn't the brightest person in the world and it makes absolutely no sense to leave Kazim on in the state he was in today. It isn't good for the team and it isn't good for the player. Almost cost us again today, but I'm sure he will continue to do the same thing again and again - same as his mentor Cocu.

15 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Colin looked shattered after 70. He wasn't winning many balls after that, and the one he did he played back to a Bournemouth player. Are you telling me Waggy would have done less? I am also not downplaying Colin's effort to defend. He did that well, but made a couple of tired clearances. What about Bird? Calm and composed, could have helped. Sibley? Gordon for more legs going forward? Fozzy?

While none make you think "yes, here we go", those are all footballers and several on the bench have started games recently and performed.

He doesn't trust those players. When they've been given the opportunity, they've been rubbish. I'm talking more about waghorn and bird here. You could see we needed grafters out there all the way to minute 90, and that's why he didn't change it. When we're winning 3 or 4-0 like at Birmingham, the changes are made. 

Bottom line is, we need a stronger squad. We need better options on the bench. 

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cos Waggy has done nowt.

So he bought MacDonald on - looked good. Then young winger who also looked okay.

What's your problem?

Mitchell-Lawson looked ok? He was on the pitch 40 seconds and the ball never went anywhere near him ?

Just now, GenBr said:

You can make sarcastic comments all you like. Why you think Wayne is infallible I have absolutely no idea, but he isn't the brightest person in the world and it makes absolutely no sense to leave Kazim on in the state he was in today. It isn't good for the team and it isn't good for the player. Almost cost us again today, but I'm sure he will continue to do the same thing again and again - same as his mentor Cocu.

sorry GB but when you compare Wayne to his 'mentor' you damage any argument you may have.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cos Waggy has done nowt.

What's your problem?

I don't have a problem, I asked a question. 2 points about why I disagree with your views though - the 'young winger' JML was not on the pitch long enough to get near the ball, so I am not sure how he looked ok. Secondly, I am assuming you didn't celebrate either of Waggy's free kicks that won us points earlier in the season? He had a poor game on Saturday, but so did half the team! We are down to a few senior pros at the club, the ones left here need to step up, and playing minutes is how they are going to do that.

Archived