Max Bird

CaptainOakley

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

I think he needs to start being braver on the ball. He reminds me of James Bailey. Doesnt affect the game much, very steady, loves a sideways pass.

I think Rooney is dealing with this  He's clearly been on at Wisdom to make him play the ball forward, either long or on the ground as the players ahead find space. We saw that against the Wendies. I'm sure Bird will also be encouraged to move the ball quickly forwards and I think he'll do it well once he's in the mindset. He's got a cocu-ball hangover  

Hes a young lad who has the potential to be a very good player at this level maybe higher. If I remember correctly a lot of the players voted him for players poty which shows how good they think he is.

When the team are playing well consistently he's a good player to have but at the moment we need grafters and experience to help us get out of the scrap we are in.

Personally think a loan to a good league 1 side will do him well. Same could be said for Whittaker and maybe Sibley as well but unfortunately our lack of options does not permit that at present 

14 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I think it's also worth mentioning that Bielik and shinnie are a goal threat. Knight is also a goalscoring midfielder. Bird has never looked like scoring for Derby.

A bit like (will  I cant do no wrong hughes ) who was the biggest sideways passer of them all , yet is talked about like a god when he was a bang average midfielder , funny how some are exaulted and others not . 

He is suited to DCM. A position that players grow into, like CB. A position that requires strength and ability to read the game. Not surprising that he hasn't got that in abundance at 19. 

Mascarell who was more talented also struggled in the championship at a young age but is now a top player.

30 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

A bit like (will  I cant do no wrong hughes ) who was the biggest sideways passer of them all , yet is talked about like a god when he was a bang average midfielder , funny how some are exaulted and others not . 

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Yup and if you search you can also include that wonder goal he scored in training at moor farm . 

Look im no Will hughes hater he was a decent midfielder and i would be happy to see him back not unhappy . 

But he on here is talked about as one of best midfielders we have had , i have sat at pride park and specifically watched him all match and th amount of tippy tappy sideways and backwards passess he did was laughable , he is a very negative keepball type midfielder . He doesnt not play the forward unlocking pass many times at all and doesnt even look to try to . More retain possession . I find it a bit funny that other players are getting criticised at a young age for doing the exact same thing . 

He was BANG AVERAGE and Mason mount showed him up to how average he was , question for forum members now and i havent seen Jason Knight in the flesh much . But who would you sooner have Hughes or Knight or Mount . Hughes would be last on my list im afraid but thats not saying he is rubbish far from it. 

Its a bit like Steve Mclaren part 3 , Rooner is in charge but for some he isnt its down to stevie Mac that results have improven its laughable . How many times we going to have Mac back 4 .....5......6......7 . 

42 minutes ago, RamNut said:

1B7090D4-A4F4-4FC2-97D4-A549A03EB42C.thumb.jpeg.01663ed6e5e76c3e574fa587d24294e4.jpeg

Nope im not fishing at all for bites 100% what i feel , its ridiculous how people go on about hughes it really is .I dont hate him and Will if your reading this thnx for what you did ? , but its peoples over reaction to him that gets my blood boiling just like im off to newcastle stevie mac . 

4 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

But he on here is talked about as one of best midfielders we have had , i have sat at pride park and specifically watched him all match and th amount of tippy tappy sideways and backwards passess he did was laughable , he is a very negative keepball type midfielder .

13 hours ago, dcfcgodd said:

Hes a young lad who has the potential to be a very good player at this level maybe higher. If I remember correctly a lot of the players voted him for players poty which shows how good they think he is.

When the team are playing well consistently he's a good player to have but at the moment we need grafters and experience to help us get out of the scrap we are in.

Personally think a loan to a good league 1 side will do him well. Same could be said for Whittaker and maybe Sibley as well but unfortunately our lack of options does not permit that at present 

I think Sibley is going to be key in the first 11, he's way too good to be loaned out to league 1 from what I've seen of him. Against Birmingham he was such a threat on the wing. I think an inform Sibley offers more than Waghorn and Lawrence on the wing. 

29 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

I think many people suggesting many of our younger players just go off and get a loan in league 1 for a season are underestimating just how brutal and difficult league 1 is.

Isn't that a reason to send them to league 1 though? Will make them a better player and learn the game. Would rather the players learn the game and make mistakes at another club than our own. Different level but Harvey Barnes went on loan to the championship flourished and came back to Leicester a better player. Same with Mount at us. 

Oh yes absolutely. It’s just the perception that any of them could just swan off, play regularly and boss games at that level. It’s a tough tough league with top clubs scrapping for their lives to get part of the Championship pie. It’s far from a given that any of our young players could cope with it when in many ways it’s more difficult to play in than the championship. 

These clubs have their own academies and their own players and will only take ours if they are going to improve their first team or distinctly better than what they have in their own academy.

Sunderland for example are still Cat. 1 academy. Ipswich are cat 2 but all but in name one of the best academies around. Cardiff are cat 2 but knocked our youngsters out the FA Cup....

No one out their is there to do a “bigger” club a ‘favour’ by developing their players for them. 

4 hours ago, NottsRammy said:

Yup and if you search you can also include that wonder goal he scored in training at moor farm . 

Look im no Will hughes hater he was a decent midfielder and i would be happy to see him back not unhappy . 

But he on here is talked about as one of best midfielders we have had , i have sat at pride park and specifically watched him all match and th amount of tippy tappy sideways and backwards passess he did was laughable , he is a very negative keepball type midfielder . He doesnt not play the forward unlocking pass many times at all and doesnt even look to try to . More retain possession . I find it a bit funny that other players are getting criticised at a young age for doing the exact same thing . 

He was BANG AVERAGE and Mason mount showed him up to how average he was , question for forum members now and i havent seen Jason Knight in the flesh much . But who would you sooner have Hughes or Knight or Mount . Hughes would be last on my list im afraid but thats not saying he is rubbish far from it. 

Its a bit like Steve Mclaren part 3 , Rooner is in charge but for some he isnt its down to stevie Mac that results have improven its laughable . How many times we going to have Mac back 4 .....5......6......7 . 

Dismissed this as rubbish when I first read it (still think the bit about Sir Will being 'BANG AVERAGE' is tosh tbf) but thinking about it more the hughes, mount, knight question is interesting. All different players: knight relentless runner and all-rounder, hughes midfield maestro mold and mount more of an attacking/goalscoring mid. 

If we're talking about which one we'd rather have today I would love a player like hughes at the side of knight right now, i think that type of midfield combination has served us well before i.e. knight as the bryson-esque player (who knight reminds me of in many ways) at the side of hughes. On the other hand we could desperately do with the goals mount brought. But where would we be this season without Knight who I think has been consistently fantastic in a poor side?

My order: 1. Mount  2. Hughes (mainly because if knight was out of the question can't see anyone making enough forward runs for him to pass to) 3. Knight

Archived