Handbags

Sith Happens

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's worrying how PC our culture has become, if it gets more ingrained it becomes dangerous the thought police are everywhere and they are out to get you your job taken away and your reputation ruined. There's a line where freedom of expression goes over the limit of law, but using the term "hand bangs" and consequently losing your job is a damming indicament of 'our' new society. 

2 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

It's worrying how PC our culture has become, if it gets more ingrained it becomes dangerous the thought police are everywhere and they are out to get you your job taken away and your reputation ruined. There's a line where freedom of expression goes over the limit of law, but using the term "hand bangs" and consequently losing your job is a damming indicament of 'our' new society. 

For me it seems the default position the BBC and others take if someone complains is to agree and take action. 

It's a term I have used and I'm sure it's been used lots of times on this forum,  I doubt a forum member would be on the end of a warning or deleted post for using it.

I hope they are paying him during his suspension,  if not I hope he sues them for loss of earnings. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is handbags not gender neutral? What a ducking joke - more ammo for gammons!

Its probably one of the most ludicrous things I've read. 

I'm somewhere someone will argue its sexist though.

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

Don't use this term when describing a bit of a scuffle in future,  apparently it's up there with one of the most abhorrent things you can say.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/sport-football-pundit-suspended-for-using-handbags-to-describe-fight-20201127

Don't believe everything you read. This is just the press picking up on one phrase when actually it's not about that. 

The conveniently choose to omit the parts of the story that don't suit their agenda.

In the same commentary the commentator said the players would be 'better off wearing skirts'. A clearly sexist comment.

He also made comments about the referees wife.

What's important here is enabling young women and girls to think think they too can be coaches, players and referees and these sort of sexist attitudes belong in the past.

Just now, therealhantsram said:

Don't believe everything you read. This is just the press picking up on one phrase when actually it's not about that. 

The conveniently choose to omit the parts of the story that don't suit their agenda.

In the same commentary the commentator said the players would be 'better off wearing skirts'. A clearly sexist comment.

This is all about young women and girls thinking they too can be coaches, players and referees and these sort of sexist attitudes belong in the past.

ok, well if that is correct then I agree.

1 minute ago, therealhantsram said:

This is all about young women and girls thinking they too can be coaches, players and referees and these sort of sexist attitudes belong in the past.

I did wonder if there was more to it as the article mentioned 'comments'. Damn I got all irate for nowt! ?

As he's back in the New Year I presume they'll send him on a 'diversity course' of some sort. 

I noticed that Ian Evatt had to apologise earlier in the season after he had the temerity to tell his keeper to "man up" after a string of errors. I was more bemused than anything. If any of the people who complained about such an innocuous phrase had been in any of the half time changing rooms I've been in they'd probably have had panic attacks.

The amount of people who complain about this stuff is negligible. The media is, by and large, owned or controlled by people who need the population to be at each others throats rather then theirs.

Divide and conquer. Its a proven tactic to stop folk from questioning their rulers.

17 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

What's important here is enabling young women and girls to think think they too can be coaches, players and referees and these sort of sexist attitudes belong in the past.

"Funny" part of this is that it's usually said when someone is complaining, playacting or diving. All this disgusting behaviour which are completely missing in women football. 

Reading the article interestingly Bernard O'Mahoney wrote a couple of books on the Rettendon murders as he was mixed up with the Essex Boys /Basildon ecstasy scene back in the 80s and was acquaintances with the 3 murdered people indeed the police initially thinking he was responsible.

Wonder if he thinks there's a book in there somewhere.

If this was directed at female footballers then it's discrimination. However, it's a mens football match, so who is the bloke actually offending? Did any of the listeners complain? Did the club complain? No. This is why the only BBC product I can bare is our local radio station so I can listening to my football team at the weekend. 

2 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

If this was directed at female footballers then it's discrimination. However, it's a mens football match, so who is the bloke actually offending? Did any of the listeners complain? Did the club complain? No. This is why the only BBC product I can bare is our local radio station so I can listening to my football team at the weekend. 

According to the link in the OP "A BBC football pundit has been suspended after listeners complained..."

It also goes on to say "...used the phrase on BBC Radio Lincolnshire during Lincoln City's 1-0 win at Swindon Town on Tuesday night."

Rightly or wrongly, one can only assume therefore, that they were tuned in for the purpose of listening to their football team... albeit not on a weekend, in this instance.

Maybe he'd have got away with it, if it wasn't for those pesky midweek listeners!  ?

Archived