Starship and a Human city on Mars

Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Ice crystals at high altitude baffles the internet.

For God's sake, don't tell them about double rainbows.

They still can't get their heads around rapid unscheduled disassemblies, why would I confuse them with double rainbows.  

Aurora's are my new passion, one advantage of living in a quiet coastal village is that when I take the dog for a walk on the beach at night I get about 270 degrees of dark skies, I must have seen at least half a dozen this year. 

Unfortunately I don't have a decent camera, but several pro photographers post pics regularly on the local facebook groups.  This was from yesterday.  Stunning.  

406032838_860814182715649_2268513565782294107_n.jpg

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

They still can't get their heads around rapid unscheduled disassemblies, why would I confuse them with double rainbows.  

Aurora's are my new passion, one advantage of living in a quiet coastal village is that when I take the dog for a walk on the beach at night I get about 270 degrees of dark skies, I must have seen at least half a dozen this year. 

Unfortunately I don't have a decent camera, but several pro photographers post pics regularly on the local facebook groups.  This was from yesterday.  Stunning.  

406032838_860814182715649_2268513565782294107_n.jpg

Auroras are lovely. 

I'm pretty sure that certain individuals on t'internets would dismiss double rainbows as being a bit too woke.

Here are the last four of the Starship version 1s to be built:

All these are pretty much ready to fly, hoping they still will. Sometimes SpaceX scraps Starships if it thinks it can't learn anything from them. But it's great news that only after two integrated flight tests, the company has learnt enough to implement significant improvements to the design. 

My hope is that one of these remaining ones will be sent into orbit to test what's called on-orbit refuelling. SpaceX and NASA are developing this technology together, for the Artemis flights to the Moon, but the bonus for all of us is that we need to perfect it to be able to go to Mars with a lot of cargo.

Until now, liquid-fuelled rockets used up all their fuel simply in escaping Earth's gravity well, before coasting towards their final destination. One of many radical new ideas for Starship is to refuel in orbit, meaning you can reach faster speeds on the way to Mars, and then also use fuel to slow you down once you reach your destination. 

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Here are the last four of the Starship version 1s to be built:

All these are pretty much ready to fly, hoping they still will. Sometimes SpaceX scraps Starships if it thinks it can't learn anything from them. But it's great news that only after two integrated flight tests, the company has learnt enough to implement significant improvements to the design. 

My hope is that one of these remaining ones will be sent into orbit to test what's called on-orbit refuelling. SpaceX and NASA are developing this technology together, for the Artemis flights to the Moon, but the bonus for all of us is that we need to perfect it to be able to go to Mars with a lot of cargo.

Until now, liquid-fuelled rockets used up all their fuel simply in escaping Earth's gravity well, before coasting towards their final destination. One of many radical new ideas for Starship is to refuel in orbit, meaning you can reach faster speeds on the way to Mars, and then also use fuel to slow you down once you reach your destination. 

They probably want to steer clear of using the term ‘v1’. (I went to a museum yesterday and saw a v2 rocket, which I guess is this one’s great, great grandad). 

• 2 weeks later...

Rolls Royce reveals plans for a micro nuclear reactor that could provide power for space travel and moon based projects. 
Expected to be operational in 2030. 

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/content/news/rolls-royce-reveals-nuclear-space-micro-reactor-model/

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/content/news/uk-space-agency-funds-rolls-royce-nuclear-micro-reactor-for-moon-base

Edited by cstand

7 hours ago, cstand said:

Rolls Royce reveals plans for a micro nuclear reactor that could provide power for space travel and moon based projects. 

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/content/news/rolls-royce-reveals-nuclear-space-micro-reactor-model/

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/content/news/uk-space-agency-funds-rolls-royce-nuclear-micro-reactor-for-moon-base

Just what the world needs next. Nuclear reactors on explosion prone space launchers. What could possibly go wrong?

8 hours ago, cstand said:

Here's a tip - if RR say that something will be ready by a certain date, you can add at least 10 years to that. They work to a different calendar than the rest of us 😂

4 hours ago, cstand said:

Rolls Royce are developing small modular reactors for electricity on earth as part of our commitment to Green energy as well. 

https://www.rolls-royce.com/innovation/small-modular-reactors.aspx#/

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Here's a tip - if RR say that something will be ready by a certain date, you can add at least 10 years to that. They work to a different calendar than the rest of us 😂

This was mooted in the RR staff magazine when I worked there 7 years ago.

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Best tip I received for Rolls Royce was to buy the shares during Covid resulting in 300% profit. 👌

13 hours ago, cstand said:

Rolls Royce are developing small modular reactors for electricity on earth as part of our commitment to Green energy as well. 

https://www.rolls-royce.com/innovation/small-modular-reactors.aspx#/

Rolls Royce are not the only people but this is great news. Not only for space settlement, but just generally. Every town should have its own modular nuclear reactors for baseline power, to be supplemented by renewables. But definitely needed on both the Moon and Mars to give settlements energy security.

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Rolls Royce are not the only people but this is great news. Not only for space settlement, but just generally. Every town should have its own modular nuclear reactors for baseline power, to be supplemented by renewables. But definitely needed on both the Moon and Mars to give settlements energy security.

Yes was looking at a company last night claimed they have melt down proof technology in their reactors.
X-Energy a company not owned by Musk have plans for reactors in this country with the first in Hartlepool 2030.

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/content/news/x-energy-plots-nuclear-role-for-industrial-decarbonisation

Edited by cstand