Veganism

alanmarklewis

12 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

I actually quite like rabbit... I’ve knowingly had horse once and god knows how many other times without knowledge!

my bunnies are very annoyed with you 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, alanmarklewis said:

I feel like it's worth pointing out that the exploitation of animals has got us into our current predicament.

we are in the bottom 3 because we eat animals??

13 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Oh yeah, if you eat meat and condemn other cultures for eating dogs, guinea pigs, etc, you’re an idiot.

I'm happy to condemn the process of boiling dogs alive.

I don't think that makes me an idiot. 

Whether meat eater or Not we really ought to be concerned about the manner in which we live.
Every species leaves its trace in the fossil record. 
We won’t be around for hundreds of millions of years like previously dominant species. We will have ballsed It up well before then.

our record will be a brief period of slash and burn. we will leave abundant traces of our existence. Not just our bones and our teeth, but our buildings, our cities, our Vehicles, our technology and our weapons. There will be plenty of evidence of our impacts upon the planet, our fellow creatures and each other. The record will be one of aggressive destruction. We are already responsible for leaving a record In the rocks of the greatest extinction event in the history of the planet - a mass extinction for which we are solely responsible. The destruction of habitat, and the Industrialised slaughter of our fellow creatures will be writ large. history will not judge us kindly. 

but then no-one is really bothered about that. 
we all make our everyday choices. Some people live a slightly more gentle existence and perhaps show a little bit more compassion than the red neck defence of “no-one is gonna tell me what to eat”.

good on them I say.

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I can never understand why food manufacturers go to all the bother and expense of processing plant based products, so as to have the texture and appearance of meat. If people don't want to eat animal flesh, why produce plant base food that looks and tastes like meat?

Whilst I don’t agree with it, I think the idea is that it makes it easier for people to switch if they feel like they are eating food that looks similar to “normal” food.

Think there was a court case recently and they won and can continue to use sausage, burgers on packaging. 

Would have thought it’s best to distance themselves completely from the meat industry and get together finding new terminology for their products. 

Interestingly Tofu the substitute for pretty much anything was created in China, the country that would eat anything....having tried a piece in a curry from a Chinese a few months ago....I’m really not surprised it’s a Chinese creation. 

20 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I'm happy to condemn the process of boiling dogs alive.

I don't think that makes me an idiot. 

1) My words were a bit harsh. Blame the beers.

2) You’re condemning the treatment, and not the actual consumption, of the animals, thus falling outside the (harsh) definition of idiocy. 

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

1) My words were a bit harsh. Blame the beers.

2) You’re condemning the treatment, and not the actual consumption, of the animals, thus falling outside the (harsh) definition of idiocy. 

Its tough isn't it. I always remind my wife when she is cooing over lambs that I'll get the mint sauce out.

I hate the thought of any animal being slaughtered,  but also sort of get the argument that without it they wouldn't experience life.

I'd never eat rabbit purely because I have always kept rabbits, guess we convince ourselves what's right in our own minds.

I did go veggie for a couple of years when I was your age, it was bloody hard work especially when going abroad. 

I would be curious how many vegetarians really examine what they consume or wear, how many refuse to drink certain beers because they are drained through fish guts.

I do take my hat off to those that do it, I would love to think I could do it.

3 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Maybe there will be a reality show covering all this. We could call it "The Only Way is Ethics."

I'll get me coat. 

I'd make sure that coat also has a hood! 

You're a bloody disgrace, coming out with that!  

#hebeatmetoit!

2 hours ago, Sith Happens said:

I hate the thought of any animal being slaughtered,  but also sort of get the argument that without it they wouldn't experience life.

So make sure it's lived a relatively pleasant life and been slaughtered in a humane manner.  

There's plenty of life out there that lives without us slaughtering them, or without us 'factory farming' them. 

The industrialisation of food production is the biggest problem. It isn't necessary but is driven by big business.

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

Incremental genetic mutation over hundreds & thousands of years, not a sudden shift to veganism in the last, what, 10-20?

Evolutionary change can become apparent relatively quickly. We are taller as a species than we were, for example. That is measurable over decades, let alone hundreds of years.

Evolution is also a response to environment. For instance, a particular food becomes scarce and those that are able to process different kinds of food may flourish. Those that aren't able are susceptible to starvation and other associated results of shortage - ill-health, infertility, conflict and so on. All that can happen quite quickly. Vegans may end up with an evolutionary advantage. They may not, of course, and in evolutionary terms they may become something of a backwater.

However, vast swathes of humanity is vegetarian and has been for millennia, so I wouldn't write off any shift in eating habits just yet.

46 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Evolutionary change can become apparent relatively quickly. We are taller as a species than we were, for example. That is measurable over decades, let alone hundreds of years.

Evolution is also a response to environment. For instance, a particular food becomes scarce and those that are able to process different kinds of food may flourish. Those that aren't able are susceptible to starvation and other associated results of shortage - ill-health, infertility, conflict and so on. All that can happen quite quickly. Vegans may end up with an evolutionary advantage. They may not, of course, and in evolutionary terms they may become something of a backwater.

However, vast swathes of humanity is vegetarian and has been for millennia, so I wouldn't write off any shift in eating habits just yet.

I think vegetarians and vegans will be at a great disadvantage when society starts breaking down. There was cannibalism in China in the 1950s and in Russia in the 1930s. If you won't eat animals you are certainly not going to start eating humans. I don't think I could eat any meat without throwing up. Others will not be so squeamish. They will eat anything to survive and they will probably start with vegans and vegetarians.

By the way, I don't think we are getting taller because of evolution. I think if someone in the 1800s had the same diet from birth as us then he would be just as tall, but I could be wrong about that.

5 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

I think vegetarians and vegans will be at a great disadvantage when society starts breaking down.

Personally I think it will be the omnivores at a disadvantage. Most of them can't even boil an egg, so when there's no Just Eats and MacDonalds/Pizza Hut etc they'll be screwed! ?

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So make sure it's lived a relatively pleasant life and been slaughtered in a humane manner.  

There's plenty of life out there that lives without us slaughtering them, or without us 'factory farming' them. 

The industrialisation of food production is the biggest problem. It isn't necessary but is driven by big business.

The sheer volumes of meat consumed requires industrialisation. I work in an abbatoir and we process 2 million chickens per week. And we're one of 4 slaughterhouses in the group. And there's other chicken producers competing for the supermarket chicken business.

The chickens don't get much of a pleasant life, they are slaughtered around 38 days of age (although I'm relatively comfortable for those 38 days they aren't living a terrible existence). 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

The sheer volumes of meat consumed requires industrialisation.

Yes I'm sure it does now. So reduce the consumption vastly but increase the quality. Half the time the quality is so poor people may as well be eating flavoured soya!

30 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes I'm sure it does now. So reduce the consumption vastly but increase the quality. Half the time the quality is so poor people may as well be eating flavoured soya!

What's wrong with flavoured soya? I like it. Fill a covered jug or glass with soya milk, a chopped up banana and some frozen fruit and shake until the fruit bits are tiny. While you are shaking the drink practice standing one one leg with your eyes closed, but be careful that you don't fall over and smash your head on the cooker.

Archived