Veganism

alanmarklewis

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Mum and Dad are both vegetarians and very healthy 75+ year olds.  My Sister and her husband went vegan for a year or so but then reverted to being veggies as its far less hassle.

I used to eat a far bit of meat, but now limit it to the very occasional sausage sandwich (3-4 times a year) and chicken dinner once or twice a week.  TBH I could cut it all out but its an easy source of protein and I don't have any hang-ups about eating meat - just don't particularly enjoy a lot of it.

My mates a vegan. Can’t really forget it.

I’m sure at some point they will start knocking on doors trying to convert people. His ex once stood in the town centre with fellow veganites wearing anonymous mask holding a laptop up of animals being slaughtered.

Really does annoy me when people choose to spend their free time trying to convert people into following their beliefs. 

You don’t eat meat? Great, and I should know this why?...Oh you want ME to stop eating meat as well?....How about you mind your own business.

You think you can shock me with your videos? Believe me I’ve seen worse on Reddit. 

I don’t dislike animals, in fact I quite like them but accept that we slaughter them to eat and that’s ok. 

Oh that’s a nice new car...oooh leather interior? You know where that comes from right? What’s that, can’t talk as your mouth is fall of Quorn? Thought not. 

All this writing is making me hungry, might go make a sausage sandwich, in fact what I will have is a sausage and cheese melt with a milky cup of coffee. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Humans have been fighting evolution since we moved away from being hunter gatherers.

In the way we catch & prepare food, maybe, but we’re designed for a varied diet.

The handful of vegans I know have to fill themselves with supplements- which doesn’t sound that healthy to me.

Everything in moderation.

10 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

In the way we catch & prepare food, maybe, but we’re designed for a varied diet.

The handful of vegans I know have to fill themselves with supplements- which doesn’t sound that healthy to me.

I agree that I don't see the point in veganism if it's for supposed health reasons. It seems a bit extreme.

Animal rights and environmental issues, though, that's a different kettle of fish. I think people are perfectly justified in straying from their evolutionary instincts for those causes.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I sometimes feel sorry for vegans with all the stick they get.

I’m sure if us meat eaters had to slaughter the cows and chickens ourselves, meat consumption would drop hugely. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.

I'm sure they'll chew on it for half an hour, while claiming it to be very tasty and full of nutrients.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I agree that I don't see the point in veganism if it's for supposed health reasons. It seems a bit extreme.

Animal rights and environmental issues, though, that's a different kettle of fish. I think people are perfectly justified in straying from their evolutionary instincts for those causes.

More burgers and sausages to go around for the rest of us ?

21 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm never surprised by the anti-vegan or anti-vegetarian comments, but I can never quite work out what it is most of them are worried about. Maybe they think vegans will take away their right to eat meat? ?

The funny thing is I didn't want this to turn into a debate and that's exactly what has happened...

20 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I've cut down significantly on red meats recently, but I find the idea of going full veggie / vegan quite intimidating to be honest. I've tried a veggie diet but I think it needs to be carefully planned as within a couple of weeks of starting it, my energy levels plummeted. Far from feeling healthier, I felt awful.

Can anyone recommend a cook book that would help with planning a balanced meat free diet? I'm over 6 foot but I'm now tipping the scales at over 16 stone which is a stone over my typical weight. I can't see where it's gone on but I do feel it so I think a change is in order.

You should check out Hench Herbivore on YouTube!

5 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Why does everyone think that vegans have to take loads of the supplements.

I take a b12 supplement which everybody should do anyway, the WHO have stated that a vegan diet is suitable for all stages of life.

20 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I've cut down significantly on red meats recently, but I find the idea of going full veggie / vegan quite intimidating to be honest. I've tried a veggie diet but I think it needs to be carefully planned as within a couple of weeks of starting it, my energy levels plummeted. Far from feeling healthier, I felt awful.

Can anyone recommend a cook book that would help with planning a balanced meat free diet? I'm over 6 foot but I'm now tipping the scales at over 16 stone which is a stone over my typical weight. I can't see where it's gone on but I do feel it so I think a change is in order.

Tom Kerridge : Lose weight for good. 

Mrs is a veggie, I eat meat probably a couple times of week on average.

Risottos, sweet potato/squash/lentil/chickpea curries, roasted cauliflower, halloumi kebabs, falafels... love it all. Not a fan of the fake meat/quorn etc. as don't understand why you would want something to remind you of meat if you are a veggie. Similar to E-cigarettes. If you're going to smoke, at least do the decent thing and risk lung cancer rather than puffing a cloud of raspberry steam out of your gob.

If you've no experience cooking without meat I found you have to work a bit harder to get to grips with what flavours go together rather than relying on the meat doing the hard work for you, but there's plenty to enjoy once you understand some simple new combinations.

2 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Mrs is a veggie, I eat meat probably a couple times of week on average.

Risottos, sweet potato/squash/lentil/chickpea curries, roasted cauliflower, halloumi kebabs, falafels... love it all. Not a fan of the fake meat/quorn etc. as don't understand why you would want something to remind you of meat if you are a veggie. Similar to E-cigarettes. If you're going to smoke, at least do the decent thing and risk lung cancer rather than puffing a cloud of raspberry steam out of your gob.

If you've no experience cooking without meat I found you have to work a bit harder to get to grips with what flavours go together rather than relying on the meat doing the hard work for you, but there's plenty to enjoy once you understand some simple new combinations.

Almost all vegans won't have given up meat due to not liking it, I personally don't eat them much but enjoy them occasionally. Plus it helps with transitioning to a plant based diet. 

19 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

I’m all for people being vegan/vegetarian... if you want to eat rabbit food all day that’s fine but what the hell is with all the ‘Meat free meat balls’? Meat free chicken style pieces... the absolute worst is fishless fish fingers. What on Earth goes into something to give it the look, taste and smell of fish that isn’t fish?! 

You forgot the no-cheese cheese!

By their very definition, "meat-free meat balls" should just be called "balls"! 

... "I'm having balls for tea"!

you certainly are, pal!  ?

A hundred years from now I'd suggest the biggest change will be that everyone will be vegan. I think what will accelerate this will me better communication with non-human animals. Artificial intelligence will help with some species, but already people are training their pet dogs on voice synthesisers so they can have more in-depth conversations and better understand each other.

What will they think of those from their recent history who ate sentient beings or enslaved them to live off their produce, drinking milk from other species and devouring their eggs. A book I wrote last year had a chapter on the future of ethics and I was quite proud of the line: "Presentism uncritically holds the past to the moral standards of the day, and always finds it wanting." Will our descendants look more kindly on us than many today are looking at those who did a mixture of good and bad in our past?

Morally, I want to become vegan but I think it's part laziness and part health thoughts that I'm practically more of a pescatarian. And if people cook me meat then I eat it rather than tell them I'm not a meat eater.

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

A hundred years from now I'd suggest the biggest change will be that everyone will be vegan. I think what will accelerate this will me better communication with non-human animals. Artificial intelligence will help with some species, but already people are training their pet dogs on voice synthesisers so they can have more in-depth conversations and better understand each other.

What will they think of those from their recent history who ate sentient beings or enslaved them to live off their produce, drinking milk from other species and devouring their eggs. A book I wrote last year had a chapter on the future of ethics and I was quite proud of the line: "Presentism uncritically holds the past to the moral standards of the day, and always finds it wanting." Will our descendants look more kindly on us than many today are looking at those who did a mixture of good and bad in our past?

Morally, I want to become vegan but I think it's part laziness and part health thoughts that I'm practically more of a pescatarian. And if people cook me meat then I eat it rather than tell them I'm not a meat eater.

Completely with you.

I think that future generations will look at us like we look at the Victorians for allowing child labour in dangerous conditions.

35 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Artificial intelligence will help with some species, but already people are training their pet dogs on voice synthesisers so they can have more in-depth conversations and better understand each other.

Wait, so you’re telling me there’s a device out there that means my dog can tell me why he’s humping a blanket when he has no testicles?

Archived