Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep, I will and i wont be the only one.

And on the same vein, if they do take over you are prepared to over look all the terrible human rights, the innocent people being murdered, the starving children, the homophobia, the sexual inequality etc etc etc issues that they have just to support a football team....?

I'll get over it 

Just now, Andicis said:

Assuming it follows the region, the homophobia.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/uae-middle-east-dubai-gay-trans-queer-lgbtq-rights-east-west-divide-language-a7856746.html

I don't know enough about it, but that was written by someone in the UAE.

I just think it's an easy stance to take, that now I'm older I question the right I have to take it. Cultural assimilation? Why should they? Anyway as I say I don't know enough about them but stuff I do know about us make's it very difficult (and what enables me to?) take the moral high ground.

4 hours ago, Srg said:

but he is the president of the UAE, head of a €875bn investment fund and brother in law to Sheikh Mansour. 

You will have to excuse me but this is not true at all.

The President of the UAE is Khalifa, the half brother of Mansour (Man City owner). Mansour's late father was the old President of the UAE, and basically ran the country. He is currently the vice-primeminister of the country.

The close immediate family of Mansour are the ones that run the country and have access to all the states wealth through the soverign wealth fund. The £875bn fund which you mention is ran by that small group of the Royal Family, which Man City is a branch under. Khaled is not in that circle & he isn't close immediate family, so doesn't have access to that wealth or is involved in any way.

The only thing Khaled is president of is the UAE Sailing & Rowing Federation and an honory president at a lot of places. His main business (Bin Zayed) hasn't updated it's website for 12 years. He may well have money but he won't come close to state backed wealth.

I think you have to view this things with skeptism because what is his aim with us? He won't have enough money, backing or motive to make us another Man City. I doubt he is buying us to make money chasing the Prem dollar. So why is he buying us? I am worried we will be a bit of a play thing.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/uae-middle-east-dubai-gay-trans-queer-lgbtq-rights-east-west-divide-language-a7856746.html

I don't know enough about it, but that was written by someone in the UAE.

I just think it's an easy stance to take, that now I'm older I question the right I have to take it. Cultural assimilation? Why should they? Anyway as I say I don't know enough about them but stuff I do know about us make's it very difficult (and what enables me to?) take the moral high ground.

For me personally, I couldn't be proud of a Derby county without morals. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Football is just football. I'd hate to see our club sell out to an owner with completely different values to what we have. I'd rather them stick the money and do worse in the transfer market tbh 

I agree with this............but a little bit of me is slightly excited about what could happen, actually seeing us win something (ok a little bit ahead of myself) but then I think a win away at Accrington in the cup felt great and is that all we need as football fan? I’m so confused by all this 

6 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'm majorly conflicted on this. Some new sponsorship deals would clearly propel us into FFP safety for the foreseeable which would in turn allow us to more quality to the squad and selfishly, that's attractive. The problem is, the more I consider it, the less palatable the trade off becomes. An earlier poster highlighted their treatment of the gay community and that's an argument I'm struggling to get past. Executing folk on the basis of their sexual preferences (or for any other reason for that matter), is impossible to reconcile. ?‍♀️

I'm not looking to defend UAE but any discussion should be based on fact. As noted in an earlier post UAE have executed 5 people in the last 10 years, all for violent crimes. In 2019 USA executed 19 people, did you complain when we were owned by GEE?

1 minute ago, Gladram said:

I'm not looking to defend UAE but any discussion should be based on fact. As noted in an earlier post UAE have executed 5 people in the last 10 years, all for violent crimes. In 2019 USA executed 19 people, did you complain when we were owned by GEE?

Pretty sure GEE wasn't in control or a prince of the USA. It's quite different.

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Football is just football. I'd hate to see our club sell out to an owner with completely different values to what we have. I'd rather them stick the money and do worse in the transfer market tbh 

Well you've had your wish for the best part of forty years

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

I think Football in general in lacking in moral standards already. Plenty of cheating, diving, trying to get your opponents booked or sent off at every possible opportunity. Feigning injury, gobbing, deliberately injuring a fellow professional....and then there’s the EFL.?

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But the point is whose morals? As I said I wasn't impressed by Mel schmoozing the Tories at Pride Park, but no doubt plenty loved it or didn't care.

Archived