European Super League

Andicis

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, David said:

Good. Let these tourist clubs go set up their closed Super League, couple of seasons and they will be crawling back, tail between their legs as fans show no interest in it.

If it goes ahead then hopefully it will prove to be a damp squib but the clubs likely to be involved won't bother too much about the home market. Their eyes will be firmly fixed on the finanfial benefits of the Far Eastern markets, particularly China but if and when that interest fizzles out I hope they're not given automatic reinstatement. On that point I won't hold my breath.

10 hours ago, David said:

Good. Let these tourist clubs go set up their closed Super League, couple of seasons and they will be crawling back, tail between their legs as fans show no interest in it.

Don't show much interested in european football even now. It's been watered down so much that even if an english club reaches the final it's "Might watch it, might watch a film instead".

I'm personally not against a Super League - and NOT because I would have an interest in watching it. I honestly could not care less about the Champions League. Nor, really, do I have an interest in watching the top teams play each other. I like watching equal teams hammer it out, not a David v Goliath where Goliath beats the **** out of David. 

If it gets rid of the stupid big money clubs with their over inflated TV money and huge fanbases on the other side of the planet them I'm all for it. Can't stand the way British football has gone to be fair. As we've seen long term FFP was really a method to restrict competitiveness of smaller clubs challenging the TV channels favourite big clubs that get them the best TV revenues.

20 hours ago, David said:

Once they leave i'd rather they not be allowed back in. A shame for the domestic fans, but they can start new clubs and work their way back up the pyramid if necessary. Good riddance to all of them i say.

21 hours ago, Andicis said:

Barcelona's outgoing President reckons he's accepted proposals for Barcelona to join a European Super League.. what's going on here then. Going out with a bang here...

Thank god he secured their future financial sustainability. I was getting really worried for them there for a minute. 

Was speaking to my dad the other day about a club becoming a "Harlem globetrotters" style club.

Scenario is a club like city simply travel round the world playing games in different stadiums with the aim of entertaining and making as much money as possible.

Brazil sold their friendly rights to a swiss investment group and as a result played all their friendlies for that period outside of Brazil.

So no official league to play in but the sponsors can make up some bulls1t trophy they win every year.

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Thank god he secured their future financial sustainability. I was getting really worried for them there for a minute. 

They were on track to become the first sports club to break to have an annual income of €1bn - at least prior to Covid! 

https://www.euronews.com/2019/09/19/barcelona-income-to-break-the-billion-euro-barrier

Also, they were the first team to break $1bn in the 17/18 financial year - a $100-odd million ahead of Real Madrid and the Dallas Cowboys. Although, the Cowboys came close to the £1bn mark in 2019. 

Barcelona's prestige in a Super League would be elevated to an unbelievable level, who knows what kind of numbers them and Man Utd (in particular) could get up to. 

27 minutes ago, KBB said:

Was speaking to my dad the other day about a club becoming a "Harlem globetrotters" style club.

Scenario is a club like city simply travel round the world playing games in different stadiums with the aim of entertaining and making as much money as possible.

Brazil sold their friendly rights to a swiss investment group and as a result played all their friendlies for that period outside of Brazil.

So no official league to play in but the sponsors can make up some bulls1t trophy they win every year.

That's news to me, but it all makes sense now.  Brazil was playing against Germany some time ago (year or two), and I think the cheapest ticket price was about 130€!! If my memory serves me right, Berlin's Olympiastadium was quite empty. 130€ for a friendly... duck me.

Archived