Name a better owner than Mel...

Dan_Ram

Being born in '89 my first cognition that a football team consisted of anything other than a manager and players was when the three amigos saga kicked off, so anything pre-dating that event is relatively unknown to me. 

Honest question... who (if anyone) has been a better owner/chairman than Mel in the history of DCFC? 

I honestly cant think of anybody better than uncle Mel and think some of the criticism received from large portions of our fanbase is absurd and probably reflects the sad state of our current self-entitled, instant gratification society. However, as previously stated my historical knowledge is not extensive so maybe my standards are too low (?) and I should be expecting more from an owner.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

Being born in '89 my first cognition that a football team consisted of anything other than a manager and players was when the three amigos saga kicked off, so anything pre-dating that event is relatively unknown to me. 

Honest question... who (if anyone) has been a better owner/chairman than Mel in the history of DCFC? 

I honestly cant think of anybody better than uncle Mel and think some of the criticism received from large portions of our fanbase is absurd and probably reflects the sad state of our current self-entitled, instant gratification society. However, as previously stated my historical knowledge is not extensive so maybe my standards are too low (?) and I should be expecting more from an owner.

Lionel Pickering, without a shadow of a doubt.

His ownership went a little bit sour, only through ambition...but he left us with a brand new 33,000 seater stadium and a state of the art training centre.

Under Mel, Derby County no longer own the stadium or the training centre. It's all well and good Mel being a Derby fan, but if the worse was to happen with Mel, either financially or health wise, we lose everything.

My main criticism of him has been his interference in matters he's not really qualified to meddle in (the dressing room fiasco for example) and his itchy trigger finger.

However, he seems to now give managers more time to do things their way, which is a good thing.

He of course has pumped millions into the club which is commendable too.

I think if he had left McClaren to build a team I think we would have been in a far better situation than we are now.

Hasnt the youth set up come on leaps and bounds under Mel's stewardship though? And surely that's the basis of a great team. Lets be realistic, Derby isn't a glamorous enough location to ever attract the sheiks and oligarchs etc (separate debate over whether you would want to sacrifice morals for success), so we are never going to be bankrolled and the only sustainable business models for FL/Lower Prem clubs is to either bring through youth or have a good scouting network (which we dont). 

I just dont think he gets the credit he deserves for bankrolling us whilst trying to set up a sustainable model in order for us to still be around in 20 years when numerous clubs will have gone to the wall.

43 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

I just dont think he gets the credit he deserves for bankrolling us whilst trying to set up a sustainable model in order for us to still be around in 20 years when numerous clubs will have gone to the wall.

But we're still not sustainable, and this 'new model' is only because we flushed cash away previously!

Archived