A bit of self indulgent nostalgia (anybody know any of these people?)

Bob The Badger

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Even the winning. I think most of us from that era thought it would never end.

And then came Tommy 'Ducking' Docherty and any chance of a resurgence was gone.

I know exactly what you mean Bob.

From the age of 9 to 16 i supported the best team in England.

Fantastic memories and thanks for sharing with us.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm just sorting through a load of stuff in our preparation to move back to the UK after 15 years here and I came across some old photos.

My memory sucks and I know most were no more than keen supporters, but maybe there are people in this picture that somebody on here knows? 

The front guy sat on the floor is Harry Brown the editor of The Ram. He came to our house many times with his wife, Shirley, the blonde sat just behind him who sadly died of breast cancer not that long after this I'm guessing.

Harry's dedication to smoking was so intense that the last time he came to our house he was smoking through a trach in his throat after having surgery for throat cancer. You don't get that kind of commitment from kids of today.

Most, if not all of these people were regulars in the Sportsman Lounge where we'd go after games but other than Sam Longson front and center, I cannot remember ANY of their names. My memory is pathetic.

My old man is back right and below and my mum is to his right stood up and looking down laughing.

Great times!

1755659168_Nostalgia1.thumb.jpg.0f70ca81c1210f9230ae1df4d3a9f4ea.jpg

The bloke at the front looks like Harry Enfield’s “only me” 

15 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

And I know I posted this once before, but come on, I did say it was self indulgent.

@Eatonram and myself with the 1st Division trophy and Charity Shield (I'll not bore you again with the story about how both were in my bedroom for 3 days after the club forgot to take them back to Derby after that event).

Me and Nick with 1st division.jpg

Wow not seen this for a while (me on the right). It was taken about 2 weeks after the Charity shield game (so late August 1975) at the Pavillion, Matlock Bath. An event organised by the South Peak Supporters Club which was run by Bob's parents. There were probably 3-400 people there including several players. Bob's Dad was a very well known character around the BBG B stand and the "sportsmans" club behind. Everyone greeted him by name and treated him like a director even though he never was. Thankfully I could tag a long with Bob on many occasions after games. Although unlike Bob (a B stand Softy) I spent most of my BBG games on the Pop Side (Columbo)   with my Dad Wilf (who went to the 1946 cup final). Over my years at the BBG there was not one part of the ground that I didnt see a match from at some point (except the Pop Side Pen as it was known as). Great days.

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

Wow not seen this for a while (me on the right). It was taken about 2 weeks after the Charity shield game (so late August 1975) at the Pavillion, Matlock Bath. An event organised by the South Peak Supporters Club which was run by Bob's parents. There were probably 3-400 people there including several players. Bob's Dad was a very well known character around the BBG B stand and the "sportsmans" club behind. Everyone greeted him by name and treated him like a director even though he never was. Thankfully I could tag a long with Bob on many occasions after games. Although unlike Bob (a B stand Softy) I spent most of my BBG games on the Pop Side (Columbo)   with my Dad Wilf (who went to the 1946 cup final). Over my years at the BBG there was not one part of the ground that I didnt see a match from at some point (except the Pop Side Pen as it was known as). Great days.

I managed to watch a game in every part of the BBG, including the pen! Though I was born in 1971 so just a tad too young to have seen the halcyon days 

Ossie Upper, Lower & Terrace

Normo Upper, Lower & Terrace  (Incl. Key Club!)

A, B & C Stands, plus both Paddocks

Ley Stand (incl. both wings)

Popside (Colombo, Vulcan & pen)

Loved the BBG

7 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

I managed to watch a game in every part of the BBG, including the pen! Though I was born in 1971 so just a tad too young to have seen the halcyon days 

Loved the BBG

I've even watched one from the away end after getting thrown out of the C-Stand with my two Arsenal supporting mates who didn't listen to my instruction of "don't you dare stand up if you score".

3 hours ago, philmycocu said:

Loved the BBG

What about that contraption in Norm Popside corner lol 

What days it was to be a Derby County supporter in the late 1960' s and 1970's.

Clough & Taylor, followed by the Dave McKay team.

From the BBG Boys Enclosure, to the Popside (how we didn't get to cruched to death, I'll never know), a few matches in the Ossie end, then a season ticket in C-Stand.

From 1962 to 1997 with the the promotions, relegations, League 1 winners, European nights, the 'old' Division 3, bankruptcy, Maxwell, Pickering and some of the best players, not only for my beloved Derby County, but in the UK, all on the sodden, mud heap of the BBG.

6 hours ago, Eatonram said:

I'm pretty sure I have too, and I'll up the ante by adding the Director's Box a few times. Don't remember seeing you in there mate?

I'd forgotten all about the Popside pen, what was that all about?

I also seem to remember there being a Junior Rams section on the corner of the Normanton End and A stand and standing in there.

OTOH, I've probably created a false memory around that.

And don't think for one moment I don't know you identified yourself in the photo as a way of saying 'I wasn't a fat duck'

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Well at least you didn’t have wooden seats thrown down on you by Leeds and Chelsea fans mate

I remember that clearly cowering in B Stand. 

Whomever came second had obviously seen what had happened previously because we scored at that end (Kevin Wilson I think) and the seats were coming down before the ball had been picked out of the net so they'd obviously already ripped them out.

6 minutes ago, ImARam2 said:

What days it was to be a Derby County supporter in the late 1960' s and 1970's.

Clough & Taylor, followed by the Dave McKay team.

From the BBG Boys Enclosure, to the Popside (how we didn't get to cruched to death, I'll never know), a few matches in the Ossie end, then a season ticket in C-Stand.

From 1962 to 1997 with the the promotions, relegations, League 1 winners, European nights, the 'old' Division 3, bankruptcy, Maxwell, Pickering and some of the best players, not only for my beloved Derby County, but in the UK, all on the sodden, mud heap of the BBG.

Criminal to get Dave Mackay's name wrong mate.

homer-simpson-doh.jpg

10 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm pretty sure I have too, and I'll up the ante by adding the Director's Box a few times. Don't remember seeing you in there mate?

I'd forgotten all about the Popside pen, what was that all about?

I also seem to remember there being a Junior Rams section on the corner of the Normanton End and A stand and standing in there.

OTOH, I've probably created a false memory around that.

And don't think for one moment I don't know you identified yourself in the photo as a way of saying 'I wasn't a fat duck'

Wrong Mate, been in the Directors Box several times with my mate the late Jock Mckay (not Dave Mackay) but actually not the boys enclosure, I'd forgotten about that, so two areas, the Pop side Pen which was for pop side season ticket holders and the boys enclosure.

13 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Just checked and it is the Watney Cup final Stiles didn't play for Man U in the October 69 game.

Soz getting old and forgetful.

You can tell it's pre season (ie the Watney Cup), because the golden goal area would have had A...B ....C etc letters there to correspond with fixtures printed in the programme to give half time scores in other games. Technology was great in those days.

Archived