A bit of self indulgent nostalgia (anybody know any of these people?)

Bob The Badger

I'm just sorting through a load of stuff in our preparation to move back to the UK after 15 years here and I came across some old photos.

My memory sucks and I know most were no more than keen supporters, but maybe there are people in this picture that somebody on here knows? 

The front guy sat on the floor is Harry Brown the editor of The Ram. He came to our house many times with his wife, Shirley, the blonde sat just behind him who sadly died of breast cancer not that long after this I'm guessing.

Harry's dedication to smoking was so intense that the last time he came to our house he was smoking through a trach in his throat after having surgery for throat cancer. You don't get that kind of commitment from kids of today.

Most, if not all of these people were regulars in the Sportsman Lounge where we'd go after games but other than Sam Longson front and center, I cannot remember ANY of their names. My memory is pathetic.

My old man is back right and below and my mum is to his right stood up and looking down laughing.

Great times!

1755659168_Nostalgia1.thumb.jpg.0f70ca81c1210f9230ae1df4d3a9f4ea.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm just sorting through a load of stuff in our preparation to move back to the UK after 15 years here and I came across some old photos.

My memory sucks and I know most were no more than keen supporters, but maybe there are people in this picture that somebody on here knows? 

The front guy sat on the floor is Harry Brown the editor of The Ram. He came to our house many times with his wife, Shirley, the blonde sat just behind him who sadly died of breast cancer not that long after this I'm guessing.

Harry's dedication to smoking was so intense that the last time he came to our house he was smoking through a trach in his throat after having surgery for throat cancer. You don't get that kind of commitment from kids of today.

Most, if not all of these people were regulars in the Sportsman Lounge where we'd go after games but other than Sam Longson front and center, I cannot remember ANY of their names. My memory is pathetic.

My old man is back right and below and my mum is to his right stood up and looking down laughing.

Great times!

1755659168_Nostalgia1.thumb.jpg.0f70ca81c1210f9230ae1df4d3a9f4ea.jpg

Roy Orbison top right corner. Harry Enfield bottom centre.

6 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

Yeah, I get that, handsome guy like his son no doubt, but who is/was he? A local businessman?

Yeh, he had a business in Matlock.

He was a bit of a blagger tbh.

Always fairly successful, but because he was friends with Sam and the Kirklands as well as Harry Brown, Ernie  and some of the players like Ronnie, Colin Boulton and Roy Mac people just presmed he was more wealthy than he was.

Richard Moore invited him to be a director one time. My dad was super keen until he found out they expected an rather large investment for the seat on the board. An investment he didn't have. He probably said he was too busy!

Ask @Eatonram, he's the son he never had. 

45 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Was he Sam's son-in-law? I thought it was Bob Kirkland, or were they father and son? Losing the plot a bit now racking my 

According to a Gerald Mortimer in his book Sam Longsons prime ally was Jack Kirkland so I assume it was him in the picture. 

Don’t know other than that. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yeh, he had a business in Matlock.

He was a bit of a blagger tbh.

Always fairly successful, but because he was friends with Sam and the Kirklands as well as Harry Brown, Ernie  and some of the players like Ronnie, Colin Boulton and Roy Mac people just presmed he was more wealthy than he was.

Richard Moore invited him to be a director one time. My dad was super keen until he found out they expected an rather large investment for the seat on the board. An investment he didn't have. He probably said he was too busy!

Ask @Eatonram, he's the son he never had. 

Brilliant memories for you, great story ?

2 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Is that Dixon of Dock Green front left ?

Bill Clark. Presumably still a serving Officer at the time.i knew him from my days at the Council House, where he worked in Road Safety. He also doubled up as “ security” at the players’ entrance and he knew everybody?. He had some great stories.....

1 hour ago, BOB BIGGS said:

Bill Clark. Presumably still a serving Officer at the time.i knew him from my days at the Council House, where he worked in Road Safety. He also doubled up as “ security” at the players’ entrance and he knew everybody?. He had some great stories.....

Yes you're right, he was on the players door.

If you said that these days for a top team you'd not imagine it was a wooden door that you had to step over to get in and it was a shed behind it (not literally - that would have been ridiculous having a shed in a ground).

I used to go in that way for most games, unless I was lagging behind and something never occured to me until literally a couple of weeks ago when I was talking with @Eatonramabout it.

We used to park down on Holcombe Street and then when it became available the car park opposite the  Normanton End. Our seats were in the B Stand on the C Stand side, so we'd walk all the way past the turnstyle to then go in that dor and walk back to get into the Sportsman's Lounge.

Unless it was a night game there was rarely a queue to get in to that side of the ground so we concluded that Bill just liked to walk in through the players entrance, because ya know, it's the players entrance.

2 hours ago, philmycocu said:

Brilliant memories for you, great story ?

Indeed mate, looking back it's a bit mindblowing, but at the time I took it all for granted tbh.

Even the winning. I think most of us from that era thought it would never end.

And then came Tommy 'Ducking' Docherty and any chance of a resurgence was gone.

Archived