A bit of self indulgent nostalgia (anybody know any of these people?)

Bob The Badger

Just now, Eatonram said:

You can tell it's pre season (ie the Watney Cup), because the golden goal area would have had A...B ....C etc letters there to correspond with fixtures printed in the programme to give half time scores in other games. Technology was great in those days.

You sad anorak!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

'd forgotten all about the Popside pen, what was that all about?

Yeah, in the popside pen is where I spent most of my time at the BBG.... Think it was season tickets only. The price of which was less than a match ticket now.

To begin with though, my first trips were when a neighbour had a spare ticket - that'd be in the Ley Stand, early 70s. By mid 70s, I was old enough to go by myself, I started in the Ozzie End before going round to the Popside. Then to the pen as a season ticket holder.

Away to uni etc, in the 80s, and on visits home I was back watching from the Ley Stand.

I loved those times at the BBG - whether the successful years or the darker times, it was always a great time on matchday. Happy days ?

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

You can tell it's pre season (ie the Watney Cup), because the golden goal area would have had A...B ....C etc letters there to correspond with fixtures printed in the programme to give half time scores in other games. Technology was great in those days.

True Hercule true.

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

Think my subbuteo set had the same system.

I seem to recall the popside pen being accessible to non-season ticket holders on at least two occasions, as I was in there myself.  Admittedly, they weren't league games... 

I watched Alan Hinton walk out from the tunnel alone, under the one solitary spot light, for his testimonial, and I was also in there for the narrow win over Finn Harps!  :-)

On 10/10/2020 at 21:24, BOB BIGGS said:

Bill Clark. Presumably still a serving Officer at the time.i knew him from my days at the Council House, where he worked in Road Safety. He also doubled up as “ security” at the players’ entrance and he knew everybody?. He had some great stories.....

Yes I remember Bill when he worked for the Council.  I was in The Estates Dept

On 10/10/2020 at 17:45, Bob The Badger said:

Here's a pic of the old man with George Hardy on the pitch before a game for something or other. Earnie Hallam is just off to the right. Which makes me wonder whatever happened to Neil Hallam?

Nostalgia3.jpg

I remember your dad.  I'm sure he used to go in The Sportsman's Club.  I also think I saw him once in the players lounge after a game 

On 13/10/2020 at 04:36, oldtimeram said:

I think John Kirkland was the son of Jack Kirkland as I recall

I think you're right and I think my dad was more friends with Jack either through Sam or the other way around.

On 13/10/2020 at 04:43, oldtimeram said:

I remember your dad.  I'm sure he used to go in The Sportsman's Club.  I also think I saw him once in the players lounge after a game 

Yeh he had a membership of the SL for as long as it was there, we'd go in after each home game.

And he'd often go into the players lounge too either with the  Kirklands, Richard Moore or Sam.

Can't remember why, but he was never a fan of George Hardy. Although he didn't tend to like anybody who he considered didn't put the club first, second and third, so perhaps that was why.

It's funny looking back because he was glad they let Cloughie walk at the time and was disappointed in the reaction of some of the players.

Was it Sheff Utd we played away the week after and the team looked like they'd turned up in name only? 

I think that was misguided loyalty to Sam because he knew the angst he was going through and the impossible situation the Board were in. I know he came to regret Cloughie leaving (like we all did) but just believed it was a situation handled poorly on both sides and there was no way out.

On 12/10/2020 at 13:36, Mucker1884 said:

I seem to recall the popside pen being accessible to non-season ticket holders on at least two occasions, as I was in there myself.  Admittedly, they weren't league games... 

I watched Alan Hinton walk out from the tunnel alone, under the one solitary spot light, for his testimonial, and I was also in there for the narrow win over Finn Harps!  ?

On a sadder note I can remember my dad coming up from the players lounge to say Alan's lad had died of brain cancer. I seem to think he was only 8 or so. Devastating for any family.

Alan was/is a true gentleman. Then again, you could say that about just about everybody in the team during that era.

Things have changed somewhat.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I think you're right and I think my dad was more friends with Jack either through Sam or the other way around.

Yeh he had a membership of the SL for as long as it was there, we'd go in after each home game.

And he'd often go into the players lounge too either with the  Kirklands, Richard Moore or Sam.

Can't remember why, but he was never a fan of George Hardy. Although he didn't tend to like anybody who he considered didn't put the club first, second and third, so perhaps that was why.

It's funny looking back because he was glad they let Cloughie walk at the time and was disappointed in the reaction of some of the players.

Was it Sheff Utd we played away the week after and the team looked like they'd turned up in name only? 

I think that was misguided loyalty to Sam because he knew the angst he was going through and the impossible situation the Board were in. I know he came to regret Cloughie leaving (like we all did) but just believed it was a situation handled poorly on both sides and there was no way out.

I was a member of The Sportsman's Club from the day it opened.  I got to know most people in there.  I'm sure I remember the chap wearing glasses next to your dad, but can't remember his name.  I used to sit at the bottom end of the club and Archie Gemmill used to nearly always sit on the table next to us after the game.  I often went down in the players lounge and have a beer or two, usually with Henry Newton, who loved drinking Mackeson stout.

Good old days.

i remember talking to David Coleman after the game once and could believe to language he used off screen lol

Kevin Lloyd was in the club most games too.  Nice chap.  Shame he died from drinking too much

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

On a sadder note I can remember my dad coming up from the players lounge to say Alan's lad had died of brain cancer. I seem to think he was only 8 or so. Devastating for any family.

Alan was/is a true gentleman. Then again, you could say that about just about everybody in the team during that era.

Things have changed somewhat.

Yes Alan's lad was named Matthew.  I liked Alan.  He lived in Ockbrook.

John O'Hare used to always sit with a guy with enormous side Whiskers ( tended to be the trend at the time as I had the same).  I think he may have been the landlord of the pub as you enter Ockbrook.  Can't remember the pub name (age related I guess)

Archived