When to open a tricky looking letter

Ken Tram

If you received a tricky looking letter today ... now that we are in to the evening ... would you normally open it right away, or leave it until the morning?!

I am leaning towards opening it now! But, I tried Googling it, and, the general advice was that people tend to read more effectively in the morning, and write more effective replies too! 

But, if I do open the letter this evening, I might end up working on the letter instead of doing the other things that I should be doing this evening, not least, getting ready for a good night's sleep!

PS. I could have read the letter in the time that it has taken me to post this!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you open them? With a letter opener or just your finger and risk a paper cut?

A nasty paper cut would compound negative news wouldn’t it?  Where as a sterling silver letter opener would give you an air of importance and therefore better suited to face any news.

39 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

If you received a tricky looking letter today ... now that we are in to the evening ... would you normally open it right away, or leave it until the morning?!

I am leaning towards opening it now! But, I tried Googling it, and, the general advice was that people tend to read more effectively in the morning, and write more effective replies too! 

But, if I do open the letter this evening, I might end up working on the letter instead of doing the other things that I should be doing this evening, not least, getting ready for a good night's sleep!

PS. I could have read the letter in the time that it has taken me to post this!

I think we need more info, before we can advise with any authority.

What colour is the envelope?
Is it a "Peel & Seal", or has someone had to pass on their viral DNA to stick it down?
Is the addressee details typed... and perhaps showing through a window... or handwritten on the front?
Does it contain a return address?
Have you recently reached, or are you about to reach, the age of 100?
Are any of your bank cards approaching their expiry date?  If so... or even if not... what is the expiry date, the long number on the front, the last 3 numbers on the back, and the name on the front?

#slowlyslowlycatchymonkey

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Two tricky looking letters in one day, open one tonight and the other tomorrow.

What I don't understand is ... considering Saturday's win ... I should be feeling so positive, that I should be able to handle even more than two letters per day!

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

How do you open them? With a letter opener or just your finger and risk a paper cut?

Especially with the advice about opening them on the loo, and using them as toilet paper. Because there are paper cuts ... and there are paper cuts (so I imagine)!

55 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I think we need more info, before we can advise with any authority.

What colour is the envelope?
Is it a "Peel & Seal", or has someone had to pass on their viral DNA to stick it down?
Is the addressee details typed... and perhaps showing through a window... or handwritten on the front?
Does it contain a return address?
Have you recently reached, or are you about to reach, the age of 100?
Are any of your bank cards approaching their expiry date?  If so... or even if not... what is the expiry date, the long number on the front, the last 3 numbers on the back, and the name on the front?

#slowlyslowlycatchymonkey

You nearly got me. If only you'd told me that I had won a Nigerian* lottery, and that all my worries were about to melt away, then I might well have shared those three little numbers on the back of my card.

* No offence meant to Nigerians, but so many scam emails used to originate in Nigeria in the old days!

5 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

What I don't understand is ... considering Saturday's win ... I should be feeling so positive, that I should be able to handle even more than two letters per day!

Well, whatever it’s contents, I hope it’s not tricky and it brings you a bit of good news or a nice surprise. ?

52 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Are not all letters like Schrodinger's cat? You don't know what you're doing to get until you open the envelope/box it's in.

Hmmm. Maybe. Perhaps not the actual contents of the envelope, because they are known by the sender.

However, perhaps the contents of a letter in one's mind can be Schrödinger-like, in that in one's mind, the letter could be about many things, and it does not fix itself into a single identity until the envelope is opened, and its contents are observed.

I really like your analogy.

1 hour ago, Ken Tram said:

Especially with the advice about opening them on the loo, and using them as toilet paper. Because there are paper cuts ... and there are paper cuts (so I imagine)!

Not sure how old you are, but if you were my age you would remember that tracing paper toilet roll from school, sharper than a samurai sword .  Have no fear, a paper cut from an envelope is like a bath in Aloe Vera compared to that bugger.

33 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Hmmm. Maybe. Perhaps not the actual contents of the envelope, because they are known by the sender.

However, perhaps the contents of a letter in one's mind can be Schrödinger-like, in that in one's mind, the letter could be about many things, and it does not fix itself into a single identity until the envelope is opened, and its contents are observed.

I really like your analogy.

Is there a return address on the reverse- google it.

17 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Not sure how old you are, but if you were my age you would remember that tracing paper toilet roll from school, sharper than a samurai sword .  Have no fear, a paper cut from an envelope is like a bath in Aloe Vera compared to that bugger.

Did Izale McLeods parents name him after the aforementioned toilet paper?

8 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

You nearly got me. If only you'd told me that I had won a Nigerian* lottery, and that all my worries were about to melt away, then I might well have shared those three little numbers on the back of my card.

* No offence meant to Nigerians, but so many scam emails used to originate in Nigeria in the old days!

So you come on here, working us all up into a frenzy, open it... then say nothing?

If you don't tell us what it is, you can do one, pal!  I haven't bloody slept all night, worrying about it!   

43 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

So you come on here, working us all up into a frenzy, open it... then say nothing?

If you don't tell us what it is, you can do one, pal!  I haven't bloody slept all night, worrying about it!   

There was another sealed envelope inside no doubt.

Archived