Duane Holmes, what is his best position?

Day

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have to say from what I've seen - attacking mid/the link between midfield and attack. Quite often he struggles if he's up against faster fullbacks but can glide past slower central midfielders easily. I also don't think his delivery is good enough for him to be a main winger. Do think he'll struggle to get into the team in attacking mid now Sibley's made the position his own though.

CM. The sort of role Bryson had under Lampard. Hasn't got the link up play or shot to be used in a more advanced position. End product not quite good enough to play on the wing either. Better suited to a more traditional 433 than 4231. To be honest, it's the role I see Knight moving in to as the season progresses. Good squad player to have, especially with him being so versatile (covers RB, CM, AM, RW and LW).

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

In a more serious post probably on the right of a front three. In theory he covers the full back and allows Lawrence a more free role on the left. 

Isn’t Knights natural role more central anyway?

Really? 

I agree with @Andicishe's better suited central, but he has a problem, the same problem as Knight in that Sibley has almost made that position his now. Not been convinced with him right of the three.

1 minute ago, David said:

Really? 

I agree with @Andicishe's better suited central, but he has a problem, the same problem as Knight in that Sibley has almost made that position his now. Not been convinced with him right of the three.

He's a squad player now (again). It'll take something special to break up the holy trinity of Bird, Rooney and Sibley. Then there's Bielik to com back. Leaving Shinnie, Holmes and Knight to battle for the two remaining spots.

Didn’t he play his best football this season in the holding role? Seem to Remember a 10 game period starting just before Rooney signed where he was incredible. See Knights second goal against Charlton he plays a first time volley out to Bird that was outstanding. Got injured a few games later and never regained his form. Think hel struggle to get in the team next if I’m honest 

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I would like to see us move more to a 433 next season with more advanced central midfielders, and he’d be one of those two more advanced ones.

DM: Bielik/Bird

CM: Sibley/Knight/Holmes/Rooney.

I disagree. Sibley seems to be excelling in that AM role by himself. Switching to 433 would put more defensive responsibility on his shoulders and negate some of his excellent attacking play. 4231 when Sibley's on the field, 433 when not.

4 minutes ago, David said:

Really? 

Well yeah because our right hand side is about balancing up a Lawrence and an attacking LB. Both Holmes and Knight are both suited more centrally but they suit that wider role because they are positionally very good and can also cut in and be involved (especially given Bogle likes to attack the flank too). If you want Holmes to work in the middle you push Sibley out right instead which feels like a waste surely?

So his best position* is wide right of a front three.

*for Derby County going into the 20/21 season

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I disagree. Sibley seems to be excelling in that AM role by himself. Switching to 433 would put more defensive responsibility on his shoulders and negate some of his excellent attacking play. 4231 when Sibley's on the field, 433 when not.

Sibley is our most productive attacker, like you said, I'd much rather he be given the opportunity to create things than shift him back to accommodate other, less productive players.

As a starter? Any League one side he'd improve.

As a squad member for us he has value, can play a variety of roles reasonably well, but he's never really convinced me that our current level isn't the absolute limit of his talent, and even then on an ad hoc basis.

Maybe a good run without injury would change my mind, which he's struggled to achieve.

I might be on my own.... but I actually prefer him playing in the midfield 2 alongside a more defensive minded player. I think he’s at his best when he picks the ball up deep and drives forward. He’s very good at carrying the ball through midfield and starting attacks off. That said,  given our wealth of options in midfield, and our lack of options in wide areas, I suspect he’ll be mainly featuring there next season. He will probably be a rotation option competing with the new RW we hopefully bring in.

8 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I would like to see us move more to a 433 next season with more advanced central midfielders, and he’d be one of those two more advanced ones.

DM: Bielik/Bird

CM: Sibley/Knight/Holmes/Rooney.

If it were to be 4-3-3 I’d have Sibley as a free right-winger rather than a midfielder 

Archived