Who will be next to make the step up?

With the emergence of Sibley, after seeing the ever-impressive Bird make a holding midfield space his own, I wonder who will be next to make the step up.

I tend to follow the youth teams, but I have to say below Sibley/Bird/Whittaker it is all a bit of an unknown to ne.

So many names we hear, JML, JHI, Tyree Wilson, Archie Brown, Ebsoele.

Who do people think will make the grade, are their any names perhaps the fans haven't heard of that are making waves in the younger age categories?

Blooding your own players is more exciting than transfers for me, but we so rarely do it I never pay it much attention, until recently!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

With the emergence of Sibley, after seeing the ever-impressive Bird make a holding midfield space his own, I wonder who will be next to make the step up.

I tend to follow the youth teams, but I have to say below Sibley/Bird/Whittaker it is all a bit of an unknown to ne.

So many names we hear, JML, JHI, Tyree Wilson, Archie Brown, Ebsoele.

Who do people think will make the grade, are their any names perhaps the fans haven't heard of that are making waves in the younger age categories?

Blooding your own players is more exciting than transfers for me, but we so rarely do it I never pay it much attention, until recently!

It depends on the scale of stepping up.

Cementing a place in the first team squad... Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Sibley and Knight are all there. Whittaker and Buchanan although having featured briefly, still need to add a little more to their games. Those two would be the logical answer, although Buchanan has a lot of players ahead of him in the pecking order (CB and LB).

Being given a go in the first team... Due to performances in the U23s and first team depth, Trialist isn't far off. An illness or injury to our of our forward options and he's in with a chance of a place on the bench.
Similar at RB - JBrown would likely step in as he's a bit more reliable at defending than Ebosele and a very consistent performer. I fancy Ebosele to be backup RB towards the end of next season however. Despite being just 17, his body is physically ready to handle himself.
We're also weak on the wings. I think Archie would adapt to the Championship quicker than our other young wingers due to being more physically developed. JML will also be back from his loan spell and will be hoping to impress in the summer.

Others, in my opinion are at least a couple of seasons off being ready.

Interesting comments about Ebosele, because I really rate his defending as well as his attacking play. He's fast, makes good interceptions and knows how to use his strength too. 

I agree he maybe needs a bit longer to be ready though.

Triallist - he needs a go soon, find out what he's made of at this level. I think he's a competitor. 

Jordan Brown, Archie Brown  - both with great potential. 

Rams TVs coverage of the U18s and U23s is excellent.  Based on what I've seen there:

Goalkeepers

None particularly stand out, perhaps because I'm happy to say that the ball is usually nearer the other end.  I like the look of Matt Yates, although he's a little on the small side (a recurring theme in this post....)

Right back

Festy Ebosele  is an incredibly exciting prospect, and I don't recall ever seeing a faster Derby player.  He is better for me at right back than right wing because he thrives on having space to run into.  His defensive side seems to be improving, although he relies on his speed to get himself out of trouble at the moment.  Kornell NcDonald and Max Bardell have both looked OK as well but it is early days for them.

Left Back

In addition to Lee Buchanan, Jaden (son of Gary) Charles looks quite promising, and takes a mean free kick.  He's largely played for U18s so far, but presumably will be making the step up next season.  

Centre back

Given that he has turned 21, I thought Joe Bateman's chance had been and gone, but as he was one of the three U23s called up to train with the first team with a view to next season, hopefully this is not the case.  I think he has been seen as the most promising defender we've got, but he's had a lot of injuries.  My concern is that he suffers from version 1 of the Jamie Hanson syndrome  - not quite fast enough for full back, not quite big enough for centre back ad not quite skilful enough to play in midfield.  Callum Minkley captained the U18s last year (ahead of Max Bird) and has played a lot for the u23s, which has proved challenging at times.  Eiaran Cashin looked really good in the u18s/19s and reads the game well, but may need to grow a bit.  For the u18s, we have had Charlie Rutt play a number of games even though he's not yet 16 - I've never seen him play but presumably he's got quite a lot about him.

The Browns

Craig Short said that Jordan Brown had been the best player in the U23s, and he must be close to the first team squad.  His preferred position is left back, but he is good anywhere in defence of midfield.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him played mainly at CB.  Archie Brown has played at left back, left wing and at centre back - he's about 6' 4'' so certainly has the build for it.  He's fast and has got a good touch.  My one concern with both of the Browns is that they could end up with version 2 of the Jamie Hanson syndrome  - jacks of all trades but masters of none.

Midfield 

Liam Thompson is like a mini-me Max Bird.  He reads the game really well, always seems to have time and passes accurately off either foot - he takes corners with either foot too.  He is tiny, though.  Callum Dixon is, I think, another one from the class of 17, and therefore found himself competing for a place with Bird/Knight/Sibley.  He seems pretty good all round, being quick, energetic, skilful and prepared to mix it when necessary.  I can see him making it, although possibly not at Championship level.

Attack

Tyree Wilson is extremely talented, with a great touch.  Having sat on the bench once for the first team in Frank's time, I get the impression that he's not made the progress expected of him but hopefully he'll get back on track next year.  If he does then he's got the potential to be as exciting a prospect as Sibbo.  

As for JHI, to start with he seemed to have only one talent, namely winning dodgy penalties that he sometimes converted.  But during the season he's made fantastic progress and now looks a good all round player.  Given that he, like Bateman and JBrown, was called up to the first team once play resumed suggests that he's not far off.  

For the u18s Jack Stretton has looked very good - a bit of the Bobby Davison's about him, fast strong, a good touch and excellent finisher.

Unfortunately, I can't see Cameron Cresswell or Josh Shonibare making it with us.  And I'm afraid that the same may be the case for JML, who having made great progress in 18/19 seems to have regressed almost as quickly, although hopefully he can recover.  

Overall I'd say the following 10, who have never kicked a ball in anger for the first team all have a chance of making it, esp. if we don't go up in the near future:

JBrown

Ebosele

JHI

ABrown

Bateman

Thompson

Cashin

Dixon

Wilson

Stretton

Hopefully there are plenty more to come!

I think next season will be more about the likes of Sibley, Whittaker and Buchanan properly establishing themselves in the team, rather than loads of brand new faces coming up from the academy. So far those 3 have only had brief spells in the team/cameo appearances off the bench, so next season will be an important one for them as they look to prove themselves at championship level as the likes of Bird and Knight have done this season (though Sibley may well manage this in the remaining games of the current campaign with the way he’s playing at the moment). 

If we do see some new faces, then I suspect Ravas may well be one of those, given our current goalkeeping situation. All depends on who we manage to bring in during the transfer window and what happens with Hamer/Roos.

Ebosele

i’m not sure that Cocu is a huge fan of bogle.

bogle thought he was being subbed v Reading for the second game in a row, and he didn’t look too pleased. 
I think there may be a twist to come there.

6 hours ago, Long Time Lurker said:

Rams TVs coverage of the U18s and U23s is excellent.  Based on what I've seen there:

Goalkeepers

None particularly stand out, perhaps because I'm happy to say that the ball is usually nearer the other end.  I like the look of Matt Yates, although he's a little on the small side (a recurring theme in this post....)

Right back

Festy Ebosele  is an incredibly exciting prospect, and I don't recall ever seeing a faster Derby player.  He is better for me at right back than right wing because he thrives on having space to run into.  His defensive side seems to be improving, although he relies on his speed to get himself out of trouble at the moment.  Kornell NcDonald and Max Bardell have both looked OK as well but it is early days for them.

Left Back

In addition to Lee Buchanan, Jaden (son of Gary) Charles looks quite promising, and takes a mean free kick.  He's largely played for U18s so far, but presumably will be making the step up next season.  

Centre back

Given that he has turned 21, I thought Joe Bateman's chance had been and gone, but as he was one of the three U23s called up to train with the first team with a view to next season, hopefully this is not the case.  I think he has been seen as the most promising defender we've got, but he's had a lot of injuries.  My concern is that he suffers from version 1 of the Jamie Hanson syndrome  - not quite fast enough for full back, not quite big enough for centre back ad not quite skilful enough to play in midfield.  Callum Minkley captained the U18s last year (ahead of Max Bird) and has played a lot for the u23s, which has proved challenging at times.  Eiaran Cashin looked really good in the u18s/19s and reads the game well, but may need to grow a bit.  For the u18s, we have had Charlie Rutt play a number of games even though he's not yet 16 - I've never seen him play but presumably he's got quite a lot about him.

The Browns

Craig Short said that Jordan Brown had been the best player in the U23s, and he must be close to the first team squad.  His preferred position is left back, but he is good anywhere in defence of midfield.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him played mainly at CB.  Archie Brown has played at left back, left wing and at centre back - he's about 6' 4'' so certainly has the build for it.  He's fast and has got a good touch.  My one concern with both of the Browns is that they could end up with version 2 of the Jamie Hanson syndrome  - jacks of all trades but masters of none.

Midfield 

Liam Thompson is like a mini-me Max Bird.  He reads the game really well, always seems to have time and passes accurately off either foot - he takes corners with either foot too.  He is tiny, though.  Callum Dixon is, I think, another one from the class of 17, and therefore found himself competing for a place with Bird/Knight/Sibley.  He seems pretty good all round, being quick, energetic, skilful and prepared to mix it when necessary.  I can see him making it, although possibly not at Championship level.

Attack

Tyree Wilson is extremely talented, with a great touch.  Having sat on the bench once for the first team in Frank's time, I get the impression that he's not made the progress expected of him but hopefully he'll get back on track next year.  If he does then he's got the potential to be as exciting a prospect as Sibbo.  

As for JHI, to start with he seemed to have only one talent, namely winning dodgy penalties that he sometimes converted.  But during the season he's made fantastic progress and now looks a good all round player.  Given that he, like Bateman and JBrown, was called up to the first team once play resumed suggests that he's not far off.  

For the u18s Jack Stretton has looked very good - a bit of the Bobby Davison's about him, fast strong, a good touch and excellent finisher.

Unfortunately, I can't see Cameron Cresswell or Josh Shonibare making it with us.  And I'm afraid that the same may be the case for JML, who having made great progress in 18/19 seems to have regressed almost as quickly, although hopefully he can recover.  

Overall I'd say the following 10, who have never kicked a ball in anger for the first team all have a chance of making it, esp. if we don't go up in the near future:

JBrown

Ebosele

JHI

ABrown

Bateman

Thompson

Cashin

Dixon

Wilson

Stretton

Hopefully there are plenty more to come!

Wow. I mean...wow. 

Excellent presentation, congratulations I am pleased to announce you have been successful in your application for Academy Manager. 

Now go and get some fresh air and talk to your family. 

Archived