Live football thread.

Rev

20 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I’m not criticising Southgate at all. Just saying he hasn’t done anything more than what Sven achieved.

I don’t buy the we effectively drew to Italy. Same could be said of Colombia. We won one, lost the other.

Likewise, we lost to Portugal twice under Sven.

I’m not sure if anybody expected Germany to beat us. We were at home to a Germany side who failed to get our their World Cup group and one who lost at home to Macedonia and 6-0 to Spain in the lead up to the competition.

I’ll happily concede once we’ve beaten at a top team at a major. 

I'd say knocked a top team out, who are at full strength and playing well, in the ko stages is the mental hurdle to get over. 

Not seen it in my lifetime I don't think. 

7 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

The problem I have with this opinion is that if we’d have been the top teams we’ve already come across, we would be champions already. 

you’ve pointed out that Germany had some good tournaments before 2014, but they must have still lost at some point. That’s what we’re doing, we’re building momentum and experience, and getting better and better as a team.

Its like you’re saying ‘I can’t believe they’re good enough to be champions until they prove it by becoming champions.’ You’ve got to have a little bit of faith in football.

How far you go is always about the luck of the draw. If you face Federer in the first round of Wimbledon, you’re screwed. Who knows how far you could’ve got. But either way, you clearly weren’t the best player in the competition. Sven was unlucky. No one is saying that Sven did a crap job. We had a great team back then, we could’ve won something, but we just weren’t quite the best.

but there’s a lot more to going deep in a competition than a lucky draw. You’ve got to beat those teams you’re expected to beat. You’ve got to stay disciplined and manage fitness levels. Try comparing Southgate to Hodgson instead. Head and shoulders better.

I take heart that we’ve not been battered by any of the big teams. They’re all games we could’ve won on a different day. But the elite teams don’t wallow in self pity on that, they don’t go into games thinking if luck is with us, then we can win this one. The elite teams know they’re better than the opponent and will win the game. I think as a team we’re at that stage now, and truly believe we can beat anyone. Because domestically, a lot of our players are facing the best teams, and time and time again proving that they are better.

So I really feel like we’re building to something big. Maybe it won’t be this tournament. It took Germany  3 good finishes before they did it in 2014. But I’m looking forward to another stride forward at least. 

Southgate is superior to Hodgson, though in slight defence of Hodgson he was in charge during England’s worst set of players 2012-2014 while the PL at that time was miles behind La Liga.

There is plenty of talk of this now being England’s best squad potentially ever so it’s time to prove it.

With the way with WC draw is set up I believe we could get France in the quarter-finals. I hope we do. That’s the sort of scalp we need early to really show we are ready.

On 02/04/2022 at 16:00, Bris Vegas said:

You’re missing the two defeats against Belgium at the World Cup.

Again, the nations league is glorified friendlies, hence I don’t look at our defeats to Spain, Belgium and Holland during that. Defeats which outweigh that 3-2 win in Sevilla.

I’m not saying we’re crap at all. I’m just saying until we’ve beaten a top team, we can’t be deemed among the contenders.

How on earth can you dismiss nations league results but then use the two Belgium games to support your argument?

I'd wager Southgate wanted to lose the group game, and nobody gave a flying duck about the third-placed play off.

A quite beautiful introduction to the Derbi d' Italia tonight, look it up on YouTube later. 

A musical plea for peace and love, well heeded by the players, as Martinez kicks someone in the face in the first 90 seconds.

Edited by Rev
Peace

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

How on earth can you dismiss nations league results but then use the two Belgium games to support your argument?

I'd wager Southgate wanted to lose the group game, and nobody gave a flying duck about the third-placed play off.

What? Southgate publically stated wanting to desperately win both games. 

I dismiss the other nation league defeats to Spain, Denmark and Holland too. It’s not like I’m cherry picking.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

What? Southgate publically stated wanting to desperately win both games. 

I dismiss the other nation league defeats to Spain, Denmark and Holland too. It’s not like I’m cherry picking.

To dismiss our good Nations League results but then bring up a defeat in a third place play off is odd.

45 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

To dismiss our good Nations League results but then bring up a defeat in a third place play off is odd.

The third place playoff is a bigger occasion than the Nations League.

But if we want to remove it from the equation then go ahead.

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The third place playoff is a bigger occasion than the Nations League.

There's no trophy for a third place playoff. It's a nothing game that neither team wants to play having just been knocked out.