Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 12/09/2023 at 01:45, Eddie said:

Europa Report.

No spoilers, except....

Arthur C Clarke warned them.... All of there worlds are yours except Europa. Use them together - use them in peace.

Pillocks didn't listen.

Seriously, I really enjoyed this quite gripping film.

Gerry Daly/10.

Saw this yesterday on your recommendation.

Enjoyed it but I was thrown by a bizarre timeline shift (no spoilers but the bit about the EVA event) where a crucial bit was shown out of sequence with the rest of the story.

Pretty good over all. 6.5/10

On 14/09/2023 at 01:17, Carl Sagan said:

Found myself watching Edge of Tomorrow: Live Die Repeat the other night. Some good moments and some excellent ideas. Groundhog Day meets Independence Day would have been my pitch.

I'd give it a Gerry Daly/10. Very good, but was it as good as I thought when it first came out? No longer quite sure...

Not a big Tom Cruise fan, by any means, but always quite liked this. They are filming a sequel as we speak apparently.

7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Not a big Tom Cruise fan, by any means, but always quite liked this. They are filming a sequel as we speak apparently.

Never understood this sentiment that quite a lot of people hold... Mission Impossible, Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, Born on 4th Juiy, Cocktail (guilty pleasure), Magnolia, Rain Man, Jerry Maguire, A Few Good Men, Interview with a Vampire...the guy has an amazing back catalogue. 

John Wick 4

Managed an hour before I got terminally bored. Just filler-filler-pointlesstory, followed by repetitive, balletic killing that makes James Bond look realistic. Then back to filler and talky bits I didn't care about. That about 20 trained killers are shot in hand to hand combat by one man in the first action scene just leaves me cold.

Quite enjoyed the first one but even that tried my patience with the action scenes  (that I find very cinematic but not engaging). Nothing new for me here but I'm sure the fans of the franchise will enjoy it. Give me the grit and visceral nature of 'Nobody' or 'Sisu' or even the variety of 'Extraction' over this.

5/10

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

John Wick 4

Managed an hour before I got terminally bored. Just filler-filler-pointlesstory, followed by repetitive, balletic killing that makes James Bond look realistic. Then back to filler and talky bits I didn't care about. That about 20 trained killers are shot in hand to hand combat by one man in the first action scene just leaves me cold.

Quite enjoyed the first one but even that tried my patience with the action scenes  (that I find very cinematic but not engaging). Nothing new for me here but I'm sure the fans of the franchise will enjoy it. Give me the grit and visceral nature of 'Nobody' or 'Sisu' or even the variety of 'Extraction' over this.

5/10

NB I did carry on half watching and I did appreciate the very pointed 'The Warriors' homage. Love that film. 

Edge of Tomorrow. I really enjoyed this loopy Tom Cruise sci-fi film. 8/10.

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. You should try Looper. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1276104/

Love at first sight (Netflix)

Naff title will put some off but it's actually a pretty decent romcom about a young couple who meet at a US airport while both on their way back to blighty.

Not a classic but the characters are engaging enough and there are a few interesting ideas.

6/10

The Frame (Amazon)

A gangster watches a regular TV programme about a paramedic.

A paramedic watches a regular TV programme about a gangster.

Neither is what it seems.

A long film, but eventually the penny drops.

6/10, Brugse Tripel, Phil Waller

At the London Film Festival yesterday I saw "Molli and Max in the Future", pitched as "When Harry Met Sally in Space". Oh my word it was terrible. Just two people talking inanely for the entirety of the movie. A film should be able to tell its story just through the visuals, the dialogue to a large extent incidental. Here there was only (tedious) dialogue, no visuals of note. I get it was low budget, but I'd still say Craig Fagan/10.