Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

Saw Top Gun Maverick last night. I'd meant to get to it earlier, on the local IMAX screen, but had left it too late , as it's been replaced by the latest Jurassic thingy.

So instead, I saw it on a screen X , where the picture is also on the side walls as well as the screen. That was a waste of time, and added nothing. Though possibly it would be better if viewed from the back row. 

Was pretty bored through the film . It's a while since I saw the original, and this seemed nowhere near as good. Maybe that's just rose tinted specs . I need to re watch the first one.

I don't mind suspending belief at the door sometimes, but this was nuts.

Loved the flying scenes though ! As good, if not better than I was expecting.

Top Gun Maverick

As Dave said, if you like the first, you’ll like this. 
Massive amounts of cheese on screen (too much for me), but for the spectacle it’s still a 6/10 from me. Can’t imagine me wanting to see it again, though. 

Rebecca (Netflix)

I haven’t read the classic novel or seen any previous adaptations (Hitchcock version won best picture Oscar in the 1940s).

Really enjoyed this twisty thriller & it’s stayed with me. Clever that you never actually find out what the main character’s name is and it makes her seem somewhat peripheral to the plot - in a weird & good way IMO

8/10

On 09/06/2022 at 14:16, 86 Hair Islands said:

Hustle (2022)*- Adam Sandler in another 'serious' role after finding acclaim for Uncut Gems, this time playing a basketball scout / coach whose career hits the skids. In some ways a fairly stock story, but without perhaps knowing why, I really enjoyed it. 

Matej Vydra / 10

*Netflix

I have that earmarked to watch. I thought he was brilliant in Uncut Gems even if it wasn't very uplifting!

19 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Saw Top Gun Maverick last night. I'd meant to get to it earlier, on the local IMAX screen, but had left it too late , as it's been replaced by the latest Jurassic thingy.

So instead, I saw it on a screen X , where the picture is also on the side walls as well as the screen. That was a waste of time, and added nothing. Though possibly it would be better if viewed from the back row. 

Was pretty bored through the film . It's a while since I saw the original, and this seemed nowhere near as good. Maybe that's just rose tinted specs . I need to re watch the first one.

I don't mind suspending belief at the door sometimes, but this was nuts.

Loved the flying scenes though ! As good, if not better than I was expecting.

My take 100%. Dreadful plodding script with some brilliant actions scenes. Glad I saw it at the cinema rather than on TV though.

Jurassic World: Dominion

As far as I can tell the critics don’t like this much because, unlike the original, it’s not a ground breaking classic directed by a genius director at the top of his game.

However, this most recent instalment of dino-based shenanigans satisfied my inner 14 year old self well enough. Fast paced and generally entertaining - if a bit too busy and messy at times.

The genetic opposite of Jacob Butterfield/10

The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill And Came Down A Mountain - Alan Durban/10.

I've seen this film a few times, and it's still wonderful. Hugh Grant only ever plays Hugh Grant, but he's brilliant at it.

On a clear day, you could actually see Mynydd Y Glyn (the mountain that Ffynnon Garw was based upon) from where I lived as a child.

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Paddington and The Gentlemen beg to differ ?

Did you not feel it was almost just Hugh Grant 'not' playing Hugh Grant....if that makes any sense?

I suppose I'm suggesting it felt like a kind of pantomime performance that was ludicrously OTT? 

Dune 

I only have a vague recollection of the first film & haven’t read the book, so wasn’t aware of the story. 

Visually stunning. Really enjoyed it - despite some mumbled dialogue. Didn’t feel anything like 2 1/2 hours long. 

8/10

On 30/05/2022 at 04:00, ramesses said:

Top Gun: Maverick

A trite, superficial, adolescent melodrama involving a series of cartoonish relationships with an undemanding ‘Boys Own’ adventure tacked on the end.

The mostly boring and self-pitying first two thirds - 0/10

The more action focused final third - 5/10

The big budget special effects - 8/10

Exactly this not a patch on the first one. Not worth the three year wait.

Special effects saves it a little, Jennifer Connelly a lot. (not her acting lol)

Edited by I DONT MIND

19 hours ago, Eddie said:

Hugh Grant only ever plays Hugh Grant

18 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Paddington and The Gentlemen beg to differ ?

8 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Did you not feel it was almost just Hugh Grant 'not' playing Hugh Grant

Yes 

Jurassic Park.

Thought these later films haven't got the magic of the first lot...but still decided to see the finale.

Sort of conflicted.  Like the recent Star Wars films it was kinda 'good' but left me cold. Like it had been by a huge committee who wanted to tick every box, have every chase scene, come up with new dinosaurs, have lots of diverging storylines, tie-up every loose end and give a nod to every previous film....and succeeded.... but also produced a slightly stodgy, over-manufactured, saccharine and cliché ridden film.

6/10

Edited by Chester40

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Hundred Foot Journey

An Indian family, immigrants to France, open an Indian restaurant across the road from Helen Mirren's Michelin-starred eatery.

Utterly charming film.

It is. Awful title, though.

Spiderhead (netflix). Expected much more from this, sets the scene well and the idea is an interesting one. However it just seems to stay at the same 'level' if that makes sense. Does not really progress as it goes on (apart from last 15 mins). 6/10.