The Damned United

Inverurie Ram

On 19/04/2020 at 17:30, Roboram said:

A few of my mates were extras in the crowd scenes

(Not the inflatable ones ?)

My girlfriend was an extra, she’s had a couple of punctures since but still very attractive after a few match day pints.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Reg Matthew's Cap said:

My girlfriend was an extra, she’s had a couple of punctures since but still very attractive after a few match day pints.

Until the day she farted and blew out the window?

Spoken with Peter Morgan who had the task of adapting the book so hated by the Clough family to turn it into the movie. He was very clear he saw it as his mission to change Cloughie's portrayal from the book (which he basically described IIRC as "permanently drunk") into something worth watching and a more fitting portrayal of the great man. I've never read the book as I felt it didn't deserve my time or money, but I've enjoyed the film.

Clough cowering in the dressing room during a match against Leeds??!!

I mean, come on.

It's fiction. Sheen is a great actor. But the book and the film are fiction. It's a pity that the real story wasn't told. It was interesting enough without the "artistic license (liberties)".

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Spoken with Peter Morgan who had the task of adapting the book so hated by the Clough family to turn it into the movie. He was very clear he saw it as his mission to change Cloughie's portrayal from the book (which he basically described IIRC as "permanently drunk") into something worth watching and a more fitting portrayal of the great man. I've never read the book as I felt it didn't deserve my time or money, but I've enjoyed the film.

38 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

I know what you mean Carl. The film is a much kinder and less emotionally invested portrayal. The book does come across as him being a little mad and irrational. I think there's a lot of merit in the film and I like it anyway. 

He was a little bit mad and irrational, he was a genius. What he did with Derby and Forest was sensational. He was a pisshead, he was funny, he was flawed, he was an ordinary working class man who happened to be a brilliant footballer and an even better manager.

On 24/04/2020 at 23:45, IslandExile said:

Clough cowering in the dressing room during a match against Leeds??!!

I mean, come on.

It's fiction. Sheen is a great actor. But the book and the film are fiction. It's a pity that the real story wasn't told. It was interesting enough without the "artistic license (liberties)".

I was puzzled by that part - was it supposed to be a metaphor? It can't be because Peter Taylor walks in right after saying you should've watched it.

But yes, the actual story would've been just as good.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

was it supposed to be a metaphor?

Yeah, I think it was meant to indicate his obsession with Revie and Leeds. I certainly think he had bad feelings towards them - don't we all - but I don't think it was as dominant a motivating factor as it's portrayed in the book/film - and certainly not something to unnerve him or drive him to drink.

(Try telling my wife that a game against Leeds is just another footy match yesterday during Match Revisited ? ?)

Archived