Coronavirus

1of4

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wow!

An absolutely horrific idea.

What next? Maybe we could stop people having jobs based on their weight, sex or skin colour?

Sex and skin colour are protected characteristics, so that would be illegal. Weight is not (i don't think?) and could be legal if there were valid health and safety reasons for it.

But I know you're being rhetorical - it's a bit of a click-baity article really. Any employer can add clauses like this if they wish to, but I doubt many will as they'd have to be able to justify it.

But don't we agree that employers should be free to make their own decisions on this? The opposite would be forcing employers to take on people that they might not want to and that can't be right either

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wow!

An absolutely horrific idea.

What next? Maybe we could stop people having jobs based on their weight, sex or skin colour?

Was always going to be the case whether mandatory or through the back door , no two ways about it , as I stated to another poster on here who was in two minds whether to get the jab or not , in my opinion your going to have to have it so might as well just get it done ,

the big noises now are regards vaccinating children for it 

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Was always going to be the case whether mandatory or through the back door , no two ways about it , as I stated to another poster on here who was in two minds whether to get the jab or not , in my opinion your going to have to have it so might as well just get it done ,

the big noises now are regards vaccinating children for it 

Yeah I said the other day that I guess I will have it.

Stopping someone from getting a job if they dont have it is discrimination, and I thought we were all against discrimination these days...judging by the responses I'm guessing not, or only when it relates to certain things.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You'll notice I used another 2 examples as well, actually you probably won't. 

Oh that makes it alright then..as long as you put some other examples it's fine ?

Saying that someone who chooses to not employ someone because they are a risk to other employees, is the same as not employing someone based on their skin colour, yeah ok ?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I said the other day that I guess I will have it.

Stopping someone from getting a job if they dont have it is discrimination, and I thought we were all against discrimination these days...judging by the responses I'm guessing not, or only when it relates to certain things.

It’s been very interesting to see people’s reactions during this last year 

2 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Oh that makes it alright then..as long as you put some other examples it's fine ?

Saying that someone who chooses to not employ someone because they are a risk to other employees, is the same as not employing someone based on their skin colour, yeah ok ?

They won't be a risk to others if they have had the vaccine ?

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Overseas travel I agree with... it is already the case in many countries around the world for other viruses but it does leave a lot of issues - would Germany accept a 75 year old taking the Az vaccine when its not authorised in their country for instance?

Within our own country - I think that whilst personally I like it, the moral/ethical side would be against it. Would I feel safer being in a restaurant, a theatre or a bar knowing everyone in that bar has taken a vaccine - absolutely. However, given that I'm (quite rightly) at the bottom of the queue for a vaccine, is it even legal to discriminate against me if I've not had the chance to take a vaccine. No - so I think in a court of law the Government would just lose this battle anyway.

Then in the future - what evidence would you accept from overseas tourist who may go to the theatre in London - would other countries provide these people with a vaccine card/certificate and so on. Of course - this may be a rule to even enter our country in the first place....

Think we should just focus our efforts on getting as many vaccinated as possible and encouraging the anti-vaxxers to stop being stupid.

What about certain pubs having a couple of days a week for vaccinated people only?

As long as there is still an opportunity for other pubs and different days, what about a time and place where old/vulnerable people feel safe?  

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

But don't we agree that employers should be free to make their own decisions on this? The opposite would be forcing employers to take on people that they might not want to and that can't be right either

Yeah I agree with that, then people will have the choice on whether they use the establishments that are discriminatory. 

Although not forced arent some employers already being advised who they should be interviewing for jobs?

22 minutes ago, sage said:

What about certain pubs having a couple of days a week for vaccinated people only?

As long as there is still an opportunity for other pubs and different days, what about a time and place where old/vulnerable people feel safe?  

Not a chance , it’s not how this stuff works , you would not be allowed to have a pub where people were allowed to smoke and ones where you can’t so people just choose??‍♂️

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you think that people that have not had the vaccine should be locked in their houses for the rest of their lives ie you think it should be mandatory?

Even for you ending up at that imaginary conclusion is bizarre.

6 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Even for you ending up at that imaginary conclusion is bizarre.

Seems the logical end result of what your saying ,, what regulations do you believe should be put on those that can’t and or won’t have the vaccine then? You say the vaccine is not 100% so they are putting people at risk so if your not saying it should be mandated where do you put the boundary on what they can and can’t be allowed to do?

24 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Because it's not 100% effective ?

Early reports are its 100% effective against hospitalization and death.  Do we want to prevent sniffs and sniffles as well?

Surely the end result of having the jab is to return to living your life again and leave those that don't want to take it to worry about themselves.

Archived