Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah I guess someone on a football forum not knowing the difference between the way the flu and covid spread has probably caused tens of thousands of deaths.

If only Sage had appointed you...

They're spread in exactly the same way, as has been explained to you a number of times.

Close contact.

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They're spread in exactly the same way, as has been explained to you a number of times.

Close contact.

So its not really hard to see why some would question that Covid cases are up at 20 thousand a day and flu cases are down by 90% when they are spread in the same way, or am I missing something?

I obviously am because @Grumpy Gitseemed to suggest the reason that I even had to ask the question is the reason that we have seen over 50,000 Covid deaths.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So its not really hard to see why some would question that Covid cases are up at 20 thousand a day and flu cases are down by 90% when they are spread in the same way, or am I missing something?

I obviously am because @Grumpy Gitseemed to suggest the reason that I even had to ask the question is the reason that we have seen over 50,000 Covid deaths.

FFS, how many times do you need to be told that Covid is many many times more virulent than seasonal 'flu?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, if the restrictions had not been in place, we would have probably been at 100,000 a day or even more.

We have all had influenza a time or two, whereas the coronavirus is new (hence the description, 'novel coronavirus'. Therefore there is no inbuilt immunity within the population.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There are some key differences between flu and COVID-19. COVID-19 seems to spread more easily than flu and causes more serious illnesses in some people. It can also take longer before people show symptoms and people can be contagious for longer.

As per centre for disease control and prevention. 

People also have resistance to many seasonal flus by vaccine or previous vaccine which stays in the system and makes period and severity of sickness less. Basically  think of Ronaldo taking a free kick if he keeps taking it with one foot and it smashes you in  the face each time eventually you position yourself better so it doesn't happen - that's the body remembering defence to colds and flu's it's already been around.  Then Ronaldo does a step over and Roberto Carlos unexpectedly hits it - guess what it smashes you in the face because its a new twist to the norm and with more power than Ronaldo.

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There are some key differences between flu and COVID-19. COVID-19 seems to spread more easily than flu and causes more serious illnesses in some people. It can also take longer before people show symptoms and people can be contagious for longer.

As per centre for disease control and prevention. 

People also have resistance to many seasonal flus by vaccine or previous vaccine which stays in the system and makes period and severity of sickness less. Basically  think of Ronaldo taking a free kick if he keeps taking it with one foot and it smashes you in  the face each time eventually you position yourself better so it doesn't happen - that's the body remembering defence to colds and flu's it's already been around.  Then Ronaldo does a step over and Roberto Carlos unexpectedly hits it - guess what it smashes you in the face because its a new twist to the norm and with more power than Ronaldo.

Its quite a jump for 'seems to spread more easily' to 'many many times more virulent'. Not even saying its wrong, just wanted to read the research on it.

I understand the resistance to flu but that does not explain a fall of 90% from the previous year?

Also flu has been round forever and a day, not sure that we are becoming any more resistant to that are we?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No.

Can't say I am keen on taking it but my stepdad is in the vulnerable class, so for the sake of him and my kids I will reluctantly have it.

So every almost every nation worldwide has shutdown their economies, a Tory government has handed out grants like Jezza on steroids and you still think Covid is not virulent?

...... and why do you think your stepdad is at risk?

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

So every almost every nation worldwide has shutdown their economies, a Tory government has handed out grants like Jezza on steroids and you still think Covid is not virulent?

...... and why do you think your stepdad is at risk?

Did not say it wasnt virulent.

Just asked to see the research, along with the message on the side of a red bus.

Because he has a respiratory disease. So, just the same as he has his flu jab every year he will need protecting from Covid too, although my understanding is that the vaccine does not stop you transmitting it anyway, so me getting vaccinated will probably have no bearing on whether he got it or not.

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

although my understanding is that the vaccine does not stop you transmitting it anyway

I don't think there has been any evidence published because they don't know. I did read the Pfizer vaccine there was some thought it might protect you from transmitting around 50% protection.  I think the hope is the Oxford vaccine will be better. 

36 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did not say it wasnt virulent.

Just asked to see the research, along with the message on the side of a red bus.

Because he has a respiratory disease. So, just the same as he has his flu jab every year he will need protecting from Covid too, although my understanding is that the vaccine does not stop you transmitting it anyway, so me getting vaccinated will probably have no bearing on whether he got it or not.

Regarding your last point, I thought this but then the results of the Pzifer and Oxford vaccines showed the 95% and 90% was based on how many from the Vaccine group got the virus and how many from the placebo group did? Or at least this is what I thought.  It wasn't based on the symptoms.

Then those from the vaccine who did get it did not have symptoms requiring hospitalization.

Still a big unknown on how much asymptomatic people spread it but I do believe it happens otherwise it wouldn't spread as much as it does surely ?  

For those concerned about the possible long term effects of the vaccine, we don't yet fully know the possible long term effects of catching covid.

We do know that for many people there are medium term effects (long covid) so based on what we know at the minute, there is more likelihood of long term harm from covid than there is of long term harm from the vaccine.

Come to Nottingham. Where you can be in Tier 3 after a lockdown but the council is still OK with holding an Xmas Market everyday until Christmas in the centre of town.

Which got terminated after one day due to the massive crowds. But you still can't go for a drink in a pub here. Go figure that. 

Looking forward to another month in Tier 3 thanks to the local helpful council. Which incidentally is bankrupt surprisingly. Muppets. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

I see you edited out the part where I said 'based on what we know at the minute'.

On that basis, there is.

So it's basically a pointless statement? We have no data on long term impacts, there could be loads, there could be none, you can just spin that however which way you choose.

Archived