Coronavirus

1of4

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What advice do you have for people who lose their jobs and cant afford to pay their bills?

What advice for the business owners who will see their lifes work going down the drain along with their house?

What advice for the people who have their hospital appointment cancelled as the hospitals once again turn away pretty much anything not Covid related?

What advice for the people locked in their homes wondering what they have to live for anymore?

Communism commrade ?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jimmyp said:

It’s easy for us to blame it on the government. Why didn’t Keir declare that we should go into full lockdown before Boris announced the new restrictions?

Good post. On the Starmer point, Johnson only just released the Sage advice for a September lockdown.

It's very dangerous to have a tiny group making all the decisions.

55 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

With pubs in tier 3 lockdown areas being allowed to remain open, if they operate as a restaurant that serve substantial meals. Just wondering what people would class as a substantial meal and goes the time of day you eat it, alter that perception? 

Planning to go out this Saturday for a delicious bowl of chips? Accompanied by 10 pints of course.

22 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

That's why we should have had an inquiry months ago to prevent the same mistakes happening again!

Sod an inquiry they should of just come on this forum, we’d have solved it in minutes 

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What advice do you have for people who lose their jobs and cant afford to pay their bills?

What advice for the business owners who will see their lifes work going down the drain along with their house?

What advice for the people who have their hospital appointment cancelled as the hospitals once again turn away pretty much anything not Covid related?

What advice for the people locked in their homes wondering what they have to live for anymore?

My advice to them is demand answers now to what the government have been playing at. If I was them, I'd want to know why Germany have been able to open up safely ages ago. And that we are more "freedom loving" is not an acceptable response.

People should be given sufficient aid to pay their bills if they have lost their jobs/businesses due to Covid of course.

I don't know much about hospitals apart from two colleagues have been diagnosed with cancer over the last few months and are undergoing Chemo now.  

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

My advice to them is demand answers now to what the government have been playing at. If I was them, I'd want to know why Germany have been able to open up safely ages ago. And that we are more "freedom loving" is not an acceptable response.

People should be given sufficient aid to pay their bills if they have lost their jobs/businesses due to Covid of course.

I don't know much about hospitals apart from two colleagues have been diagnosed with cancer over the last few months and are undergoing Chemo now.  

Germany's cases have been rising rapidly. Not as rapidly as ours, but they are. 

They're blaming it on the 'prevention paradox' too. 

They're legitamtely worried it is about to get out of control there too. 

Interestingly, 635k cases in the UK, and 43k deaths. 

333k cases in Germany, 9.6k deaths. 

Just now, Norman said:

Germany's cases have been rising rapidly. Not as rapidly as ours, but they are. 

They're blaming it on the 'prevention paradox' too. 

They're legitamtely worried it is about to get out of control there too. 

Interestingly, 635k cases in the UK, and 43k deaths. 

333k cases in Germany, 9.6k deaths. 

Interesting, didn't know that. Think our testing numbers got skewed when everyone was encouraged to have tests without symptoms, then blamed for the tests running out.

Will be interesting to see how Germany cope with a 2nd wave. They still got 30k odd deaths of credit in the bank vs us though.

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Hospitals really aren’t pretty much cancelling anything that isn’t Covid related. 

Yes lots of non critical surgeries have been delayed and they are playing catch up on a monumental backlog of missed surgeries. However Day patients and appointments have been pretty much back to full service for some time now. 

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Interesting, didn't know that. Think our testing numbers got skewed when everyone was encouraged to have tests without symptoms, then blamed for the tests running out.

Hang on a minute, you said testing was key. We know people can be asymptomatic.  How do you reconcile them two statements?

Will be interesting to see how Germany cope with a 2nd wave. They still got 30k odd deaths of credit in the bank vs us though.

Find this comment quite distasteful.

5 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

Hospitals really aren’t pretty much cancelling anything that isn’t Covid related. 

Yes lots of non critical surgeries have been delayed and they are playing catch up on a monumental backlog of missed surgeries. However Day patients and appointments have been pretty much back to full service for some time now. 

Probably an over exaggeration but sure you get the point

19 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

They don't record deaths in the same way we do. But yeah, they got it better than us at the start of the pandemic. The tracking system helped them catch people earlier. 

The fact that we have recorded that many cases, you'd think that we must be well over a million now that have been infected. 

Considering how many were infected before we got tests, how many don't show symptoms and have therefore never been tested, and the fact that the tests had a 70 percent success rate at identifying Covid in this country means that the number must be a lot higher than 635k.

Which might be a positive. It's places who did well at the start that are now struggling. Northern Ireland, for example, are ahead of the rest of the UK for cases at the moment - 22k total cases with over 6k of those in the last 7 days. 

43 minutes ago, jimmyp said:

The data the app provides is invaluable. The problem with the app is that so many refuse to download and use it. I mean how many on here currently have it? 

I may be wrong but it seemed that the majority of people on this forum dismissed it before it was even given a chance. 

I have, although in reality the likelihood of me coming into contact with Covid-19 is quite small. I have spent 6 hours outside my home since March.

1 hour ago, jimmyp said:

The data the app provides is invaluable. The problem with the app is that so many refuse to download and use it. I mean how many on here currently have it? 

I may be wrong but it seemed that the majority of people on this forum dismissed it before it was even given a chance. 

I've reluctantly downloaded but dont have much confidence in it to be honest.

I wonder how many people want it  it cant download it? Both of my parents wanted to download it but have phones that are not compatible with the app apparently.

I must tell my Dad that a bloke on the internet reckons millions of cancer treatments are being cancelled

I'll let him know when he gets back off the ward, having just had an operation to remove some cancerous tissue

Meh

Personally I think the idea of short circuit-break lockdowns is the best way to address the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" paradox. If it's just 3 weeks at a time then people are far more likely to be able to deal with it mentally - plus it also allows the economy to tick over and not totally collapse. Also allows the hospitals to function as close to normal as they can

Feels like the way we're going is a totally confusing tier system of half-baked measures that people will ignore, or try and work around - and we'll just end up having to another massive full 3 month lockdown when it all fails

7 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Lockdowns work, lockdowns work keep telling yourself lockdowns work

TexasRam when you say lockdowns don’t work, are you implying that any kind of lockdown doesn’t work? 

Or half arsed not really a lockdown more a load of random restrictions don’t work. 

What would your prediction be if we went into a national lockdown that exactly replicated the type we did earlier in the year, say starting tomorrow?

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Lockdowns work, lockdowns work keep telling yourself lockdowns work

I don't understand how a lockdown is supposed to be an effective stratergy. Are we seriously suggesting every single person stays indoors, in one place for 2-3 weeks? It's just going to spread again once we open back up. 

What evidence is there that we need a circuit breaker now? People inside the NHS are saying the worst period for the NHS in general regarding capacity and flu, etc, will be the last two weeks of January. So that the beginning of Jan is when a circuit breaker lockdown should occur, if one has to. 

Statistitions are going mad. Saying the charts show no wave. 

We have people saying listen to the experts. Where are these so called experts? 

Then we have thousands of doctors, scientists and mathematicians signing documents, trying to voice their professional opinions. But we are told they don't exist or the powers that be blacklist them. 

Hopefully this man is the first of many. Well done to him. People need to take more notice of the fact that very few people within this government or the conservative party are publicly backing Boris and Hancock. A good sign that they plan to get rid. 

If we get to 2021 and deaths continue to be around the rate they have for the last 6 weeks..what is the point people will make? Will more step forward and believe the Virus to no longer be a threat? 

5 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I must tell my Dad that a bloke on the internet reckons millions of cancer treatments are being cancelled

I'll let him know when he gets back off the ward, having just had an operation to remove some cancerous tissue

Meh

Personally I think the idea of short circuit-break lockdowns is the best way to address the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" paradox. If it's just 3 weeks at a time then people are far more likely to be able to deal with it mentally - plus it also allows the economy to tick over and not totally collapse. Also allows the hospitals to function as close to normal as they can

Feels like the way we're going is a totally confusing tier system of half-baked measures that people will ignore, or try and work around - and we'll just end up having to another massive full 3 month lockdown when it all fails

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52876999

Just a far right conspiracy ??

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I've reluctantly downloaded but dont have much confidence in it to be honest.

I wonder how many people want it  it cant download it? Both of my parents wanted to download it but have phones that are not compatible with the app apparently.

Yes my folks are in the same boat as yours, however they really don’t go out to the kind of places where social distancing can’t take place efficiently. 

Why don’t you have much confidence in it? 

Archived