Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

So it was higher in 2017 when there was no COVID? Interesting. 

It’s just starting to increase, obviously lagging behind the restrictions. My prediction is (and I’m not DR Whitless) by Q1 next year we can add an increase of at least 15-20% of that number 

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It’s just starting to increase, obviously lagging behind the restrictions. My prediction is (and I’m not DR Whitless) by Q1 next year we can add an increase of at least 15-20% of that number 

I do find it slightly amusing that those who would generally throw 'but austerity caused 100k' deaths at others now argue that things aren't (currently) as bad as a few years ago. 

As you said, give it 6-12 months then we'll really start to see the full effects of the pandemic.

29 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I do find it slightly amusing that those who would generally throw 'but austerity caused 100k' deaths at others now argue that things aren't (currently) as bad as a few years ago. 

Don't know if that was aimed at me, but that's not what I'm arguing.

I suppose I'm just trying to point out that when brutal austerity was killing people, causing high unemployment, and laying the groundwork for societal collapse - certain people didn't seem bothered. But now they are. Because it's affecting what they perceive as their liberty I guess.

That disconnect suggests that it's not really the unemployment that they care about - but rather the indirect impact it has on them

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

but rather the indirect impact it has on them

Always is every time for everyone either direct or in direct, anyone who says different is a liar. 

42 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

The majority of job losses over the past few months seems to be in the hospitality and travel sector. Most other sectors, seem to be surviving, despite struggling. How do you genuinely believe we'll see unemployment rise to 20-25%?

Redundancies at the highest level since 2009. Unemployment at its highest since 2017.

And Christmas looks like it will be a massive flop for retailers - and the hospitality sector in particular. 

The first 3 months of 2021 look like they might be devastating. That's when it will bite. 

I'm very worried for the future and I work in a sector where I will only lose my job if I lose my temper. 

They say a weak economy is held up by the housing market. That's us. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The majority of job losses over the past few months seems to be in the hospitality and travel sector. Most other sectors, seem to be surviving, despite struggling. How do you genuinely believe we'll see unemployment rise to 20-25%?

You know how the economy works right? How things are independent etc. I’ll leave it at that 

Well I'll have to put up my hands and admit that I've been doing our government a disservice, when I've been calling them a bunch of incompetent bamfords. The government may be bamfords but they are decidedly not incompetent. While the posters on here, along with much of the country have been squabbling between themselves about the coronavirus, the rights and wrongs of lockdowns and how the country should be dealing with it.

Cummings and his mates have been happily stuffing millions of pounds into the pockets of friends and family, for services or products that been either inadequate or totally none existent . This is more than cronyism, this is out and out corruption.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There is a lot of doom and gloom from some people on this. We should also recognise that there are certain sectors which are booming because of Covid - and plenty of sectors (as @Normanpoints out) that will be totally unaffected

2 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Cummings and his mates have been happily stuffing millions of pounds into the pockets of friends and family, for services or products that been either inadequate or totally none existent . This is more than cronyism, this is out and out corruption.

Ah - you're talking about the strange private companies that incorporated out of nowhere with £100 capital and then immediately won multi-million pound contracts to deliver PPE (which upon closer investigation is just drop-shipped from China)?

You have to applaud the opportunists though - I'm sure it's nothing to do with their close links to government ministers, and just down to their pure hard work and entrepreneurial skills

Quite right that we should get mad with each other for slight disagreements over the way stats are generated/interpreted - and not get mad with the blatant corruption going on in plain sight. What would be the point of that?

15 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Well I'll have to put up my hands and admit that I've been doing our government a disservice, when I've been calling them a bunch of incompetent bamfords. The government may be bamfords but they are decidedly not incompetent. While the posters on here, along with much of the country have been squabbling between themselves about the coronavirus, the rights and wrongs of lockdowns and how the country should be dealing with it.

It's also politics which is quite clearly banned in the rules of the forum......

32 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

It's also politics which is quite clearly banned in the rules of the forum......

No more political than the number of posts regarding how the government have dealt with the lockdown.

13 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

No more political than the number of posts regarding how the government have dealt with the lockdown.

Look matey, it's really very simple... It's not 'political' if you are in any way complimentary about government efforts to stem the pandemic. If however, you are in any way critical of said government, then that's clearly 'political' and as such, is widely frowned upon. 

I trust that clears things up for you ?

1 minute ago, Norman said:

Obviously not. Seeing as though a moderator has reacted to the post. 

It's a good point though. It's really hard to draw a line on the covid thread between the political and the personal

The reason the old politics thread was locked was down to personal attacks, insults and excessive requirements for moderator actions

If we avoid going down that path with our comments then we might be fine, but it would definitely be worth a moderator making an official statement on the matter.

If he can stand at a podium while doing it, that would be even better!

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Don't know if that was aimed at me, but that's not what I'm arguing.

I suppose I'm just trying to point out that when brutal austerity was killing people, causing high unemployment, and laying the groundwork for societal collapse - certain people didn't seem bothered. But now they are. Because it's affecting what they perceive as their liberty I guess.

That disconnect suggests that it's not really the unemployment that they care about - but rather the indirect impact it has on them

It wasn't really aimed at anyone tbh, other than I've seen this comment pop up a few times.

Austerity was forced upon to bring our spending under control, given that our debt has now gone up to levels not seen since the war, Austerity 2.0 should be er, 'fun'. 

Although after the war, seeing as parts of the UK had been levelled by nazi bombs we could actually 'build back better'.  Not quite sure how we're gonna reduce a £2tn and counting debt this time...

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Look matey, it's really very simple... It's not 'political' if you are in any way complimentary about government efforts to stem the pandemic. If however, you are in any way critical of said government, then that's clearly 'political' and as such, is widely frowned upon. 

I trust that clears things up for you ?

Those arses aren't going to lick themselves, you know.

Archived